1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Download YouTube Video to Hard Drive, Then Burn?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by tinkerer, Apr 14, 2008.

1. tinkerer

tinkerer Member

I have a friend who wants to download a 37 minute YouTube video. How do I do this?

This is the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrp-v2tHaDo&feature=related

Note: This is just the video he wants, I am not interested in introducing politics into this forum in any way.

I downloaded TubeTilla, but it seems to cut out after a few minutes. The video is in several versions on YouTube, including one which is broken up into 4 parts. I downloaded all four parts, only to discover that when we burned it to a DVD, there was no sound!

If anyone has a way to download a YouTube video, not just this one but any one, I would be quite grateful to know.

His burning software is Nero version 7.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  2. consul

consul Regular member

I use Firefox browser together with an add on called download helper (link below)
    http://www.downloadhelper.net/
    As for burning to dvd the downloaded files are FLV files. so you need to check your burning software is compatable or convert the files to DVD.Try getting hold of ConvertxtoDVD and try that. If yo just want the Audio , Google FLVtomp3 for a free converter
    http://www.flv2mp3.com/ just enter the URL

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  3. tinkerer

tinkerer Member

Thanks, will try.

I've never used Firefox browser, so here goes. Hope my friend doesn't throw a conniption when things look different on his computer, lol.

Already have ConverttoDVD, so no problem there.

I will try your suggestions and report back. Thank you very much for responding.

4. consul

consul Regular member

No problems glad I could help. After trying firefox I am sure you won't go back to using I.E unless you really have to :)

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I switched to Firefox about a month ago, excellent plugins/add-ons! Love the Greasemonkey, dictionaries, ScreenGrab...
    The only time now that I use IE is when I do an online Virus scan, as most require IE.

6. 4uz

4uz Member

google this download youtube video to harddrive

7. tinkerer

tinkerer Member

Confused convertxdvd with convertxtodvd.

The freeware convertxdvd doesn't seem to work.

Any freeware programs that will allow me to download youtube videos and save them on hard drive or burn to dve?

8. tripplite

tripplite Guest

9. tinkerer

tinkerer Member

Okay, that should get it on my hard drive.

And to put this onto dvd?

10. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

11. tripplite

tripplite Guest

12. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Need to read some documentation mister:~)!DVD Flick can convert FLV videos. Here is an excerpt from DVD Flick's guide( also, I fired up the Flick and loaded a FLV video just fine):

"DVD Flick is the all-in-one tool that can convert:
    AVI to DVD, FLV to DVD, HDMOV to DVD, MKV to DVD, MJPG to DVD, MPG to DVD, M2V to DVD, MP4 to DVD, M4V to DVD, NSV to DVD, NUT to DVD, QT to DVD, MOV to DVD, RM to DVD, SMK to DVD, OGM to DVD, WMV to DVD, ASF to DVD, 3GP to DVD, 3G2 to DVD. "

FLV's downloaded from youtube, google_video and such, are crappy quality to begin with. If you have to convert the FLV to a different format and then to DVD, might as well go and buy a VHS of the movie, you'll have better quality.

13. tripplite

tripplite Guest

ho ho! i must be doing something wrong!! i had no idea dvdflick supported .flv LOL its never loading mine........somethings wrong with the source files.... thanks cyprs;)

-tripplite

14. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

It must be something with the way the flv is downloaded. When I download a FLV, I do it directly using my browser, don't go through a 3rd party site or something. I use the Firefox download plug-in. Dunno, it worked for me(I didn't go all the way with the conversion, but it loaded the video, with thumbnail and all...).
    No more conversions for me though, I got me a nice XBOX, soft modded it with XBMC and I am through waiting hours for a conversion and wasting discs!!

15. tripplite

tripplite Guest

i dont know why but now that i download the .flv using bitcomet it loads into dvdflick, perhaps it was a different tweak of the .flv.....such a pitty:(

16. zapph

zapph Member

Ther's another YouTube downloader called KeepVid - http://keepvid.com/?url=about:blank - which will allow downloading of the videos in mp4 format, which most DVD makers will recognise (for those who have trouble with the FLVs). I tried it with the video you posted and mp4 is an option, there.

17. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

For those that still go through 3rd party sites and stuff, converting and reconverting- just give Firefox a try and I guarantee you'll never look back.

18. tripplite

tripplite Guest

always always used firefox, IE is the old mans chucks!
    what is this plugin you use to download youtube vids?

thanks
    -tripplite

19. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

It is not just for Youtube, it works with tons of similar sites:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006

Another great thinggie for Firefox is greasemonkey. You can use it with hundreds of scripts from http://userscripts.org:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  20. tripplite

tripplite Guest

already running some of my junk with it;)

will try the downloading app, i'll tell you if it loads in into dvdflick:)

-tripplite