1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to edit m8 bios to recognize 200GB hdd

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by MIchad, Dec 31, 2004.

1. MIchad

MIchad Guest

I just installed a 200GB hdd and it is only recognized as 130GB, I am using M8 bios(v1.0xbox)and Xenium ice chip. I read you need to edit the bios to use all of partition 6(F) or overflow to partition7(G). Partition G is on and I tried to format partition G using Slayers, but it still says O.
    Any Help?
    Thanks!!

2. Hrdrk20

Hrdrk20 Regular member

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/141491

It's not your bios you need the evox 1.8.3752 dashboard and the patch to make the larger drives work.

http://xbuck.net.rya-network.com/dashboard.htm

The patch can be found on xboxstation but finding this evox version was a bitch.

Here is the readme file from the 137G Patch :

EvoX dashboard patcher for Drive G/partition7 support
    by Paul Bartholomew (oz_paulb) 030904
    =====================================================

WARNING: This patch only works on EvoX dashboard v1.8.3752. If you attempt to apply this
    patch to a different EvoX dashboard version, it will most likely result in a crash
    and/or data loss!

WARNING: As with any 'patch', I make no claims as to whether/not this will work on your
    Xbox. Please make sure you have a backup, and can survive possibly deleting
    data on your Xbox.

I'm releasing 'Drive G/partition7' support for EvoX as a 'patch', rather than releasing a
    new dashboard ".xbe" file. This is because I assume that the EvoX dashboard contains
    Microsoft-copyrighted code (from the XDK), and I don't want to get into trouble for
    distributing any MS code. I assume that everyone can find the current EvoX dashboard
    ".xbe" in 'the usual places'. Starting with that, and with the included patch code,
    you'll end up with a new EvoX .xbe file that supports Drive G/partition7.

The EvoX dashboard .xbe is a ~680Kbyte file. This is actually just a 'loader/decompressor'
    program that decompresses the 'real' EvoX dashboard .xbe (stored inside the 680Kbyte EvoX
    dashboard .xbe). The 'real' EvoX dashboard is about 3.7Mbytes. When you are finished with
    the patching process, your EvoX dashboard will be 3.7Mbytes (instead of 680Kbytes), since I
    didn't bother trying to figure out how to re-compress the .xbe.

The process to apply the patches will require multiple steps:

1. Start with original EvoX .xbe

2. Apply a small patch that causes EvoX .xbe to write the "decompressed" version of
    itself to "e:\evoxdump.bin"

3. Transfer this patched EvoX .xbe to your Xbox, and execute it. This will give you
    the "e:\evoxdump.bin" file.

4. Transfer the "e:\evoxdump.bin" file to your PC

5. Apply patches to "evoxdump.bin", which will result in a new "default.xbe"

6. Transfer new "default.xbe" to Xbox - this new .xbe is EvoX dash with drive G: support

If the steps look too complicated, then you may want to hold-off and wait for someone else
    to do them. I assume the final/patched .xbe will make its way onto 'the usual places' sometime
    shortly after my patches are released.

Here's the detailed step-by-step instructions:

1. Decompress .zip into a working directory on your PC (example: "C:\evox_patcher"). Inside that
    directory, you'll find 3 sub-directories:

bin - utilities used by the patching process
    evox_gen_xbe - Where patches are applied to original EvoX .xbe to create the "dumper"
    version (what generates "e:\evoxdump.bin")
    evox_patched - Where patches are applied to "evoxdump.bin" to generate new "default.xbe"
    (new EvoX dashboard with Drive G: support)

2. Copy an original EvoX dashboard .xbe into the "evox_gen_xbe" directory, calling the file
    "default_orig.xbe"

3. From a command prompt, "cd" into "evox_gen_xbe", and type "doit" (no quotes). This will
    apply patches to the EvoX dashboard, creating a new "default.xbe". This new "default.xbe"
    will function like a normal EvoX dashboard, except that it will create "e:\evoxdump.bin" every
    time it starts up.

4. Transfer the "evox_gen_xbe\default.xbe" to your Xbox. I *strongly* suggest you don't replace your
    original dashboard executable with this, in case there are problems. It would be best to create
    a temporary directory, and place this default.xbe into the temp directory.

5. Run/execute the "default.xbe" on your Xbox. This will generate an "e:\evoxdump.bin", and then will
    start up into EvoX (with 'default' skin if you just dropped the default.xbe into a temp directory
    by iteself)

6. Reboot your Xbox (going back to normal dashboard), and transfer "e:\evoxdump.bin" back to your PC

7. Copy "evoxdump.bin" into the "evox_patched" sub-directory

8. From a command prompt, "cd" to the "evox_patched" directory, and type "doit" (no quotes). This
    will apply patches to the EvoX dasboard, creating a new "default.xbe". This new "default.xbe"
    (inside "evox_patched") is the new EvoX dashboard with Drive G:/partition7 support.

At this point, I *strongly* suggest that you transfer the new "default.xbe" to a temp directory on your
    Xbox, and run it from there. Verify that things are working correctly before making this your default
    dashboard (before replacing "c:\evoxdash.xbe" with this new "default.xbe").

Here's what my patches add to EvoX:

1. Drive "G:" is created at startup (along with all the other drives). This means other commands
    in EvoX.ini (like AutoAddItem) can specify G: in the path string.

2. Evox.ini "Format" command now supports "Format g:"

3. FTP commands formatpath/formatdrive now support "partition7" (drive G:)

4. When starting FTP, drive G is listed in the 'root' along with all the other drives

5. Added variable "SpaceG" (just like "SpaceF", but for G:). This allows skins to display
    free space on drive G:.

6. FTP 'hddinfo' command now supports G:

NOTE: In some of the places where I added G: support, I rode on top of existing code for F:. This means
    that the Evox.ini "UseFDrive" should be set to "Yes" in order for drive G: to work.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  3. Squiggles

Squiggles Member

Just use EVTool to edit the M8 Bios and you should then see upto about 190GB on the F: Partition. If you want a G: Partition you can set that up with EVTool also but I would just recommend using a large F: Partiton. You can find it here. http://home.alltel.net/nghtshd/evtool.html

4. MIchad

MIchad Guest

I ended up downloading evtool, but it wouldn't let me do anything with the bios after I opened it. However, I opened the slayers disc on the pc and found the bios already modified and copied that to a cd-r. If anyone has used evtool, I would like to know what I am doing wrong.
    Thanks for everyones help!

5. kopkilla

kopkilla Guest

use x3 1959 to enable LB48 support