1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to edit wavs

Discussion in 'Audio' started by supremej, May 3, 2005.

1. supremej

supremej Member

I was wondering if there is a way that a wav file can be edited so that a pc will think that its length is shorter than it really is. For example, the wav might be 30 sec long but once you edit it the pc displays it as being only 15 sec long, however, the song still plays completely despite being modified. I know that tag editors can't do this so I though maybe messing with the bit organization.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

well, not really. there are a few programs out there that can hack the header of a wav file to tell it its a different samplerate, but I don't think you can tell it to be a different length. most media players scan through the file when its loaded, so they would know the real duration anyways. why do you want this for?

3. supremej

supremej Member

i have a portable device that allows you to play 17 secs of audio in wav format. so i wanted to see if the length could be changed so that I could trick it into allowing me to play the whole song

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

if it only allows 17 seconds, then there probably isn't room on the device to store more than that anyways. i think you're SOL