1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question How to embed and extract subtitles

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by boriscat, Apr 2, 2020.

1. boriscat

boriscat Member

I am trying to find out an easy (and preferably free) way to both embed subtitles without fully converting an mp4 file, and also how to extract a subtitle file from a movie file?
    Can anyone help?

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

There's no way to embed the subtitle without transcoding the final video. You can use VLC Player for embedding a subtitle- https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/vlc-subtitles.html

I don't think there's a way to remove an embedded subtitle since it is encoded into a frame just like the video. You could add a new subtitle over top of an existing one. You could cover up a subtitle using video editing software.

3. boriscat

boriscat Member

I've just used VLC, the end result had no subtitles for some reason. Maybe as I was using the portable version?

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Did you add a .srt file where it asks for it. He doesn't mention adding it in the appropriate screen and I completely missed it. Ended up needless encoding. Once i did that, it worked great when I played it back from within VLC. Only two issues-

1. It added the name of the original file to the subtitle that I added I really didn't want it there.

2. It didn't output the converted file to where I designated. That part of the procedure is screwy. I'll have to work on it.

By the way, I'm just using a copy that I downloaded several years ago. However, if you have all the options he shows, then it should work.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

videohelp.com

6. boriscat

boriscat Member

I found a better way.
    I used Subtitle Edit to convert the .ttml file to an .srt file. Then I used MKVMerge in MKVToolNix suite of tools to add the SRT file to the .mp4 file.
    The output is an .mkv file but I simply renamed the file extension from .mkv back to .mp4 and it works perfectly in my media player.
    The entire process is about 5 minutes too and no re- or transcoding at all to do.
    I think for some of you this is a brand new way as there is no transcoding, it simply embeds the .srt file into the .mp4 file, job done.
    Thanks for the help though guys :)

https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html