1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to erase cd-rw

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by mstrchief, Mar 10, 2003.

1. mstrchief

mstrchief Member

Hey,
    I have had cd-rw's for a while and finally decided to use them but I don't know how to erase all the information off of them. I have two programs that can format it, but formatting it just makes it a "big floppy." I used nero to burn an image file but I accidently finalized it. Can anyone tell me a good program to use for getting the information off of the cd-rw?
    The programs I have are Nero 5.5.10.15, Easy CD Creator 5 and Alcohal 120% and the cd-rw's I am using are "Shark-W2"_X_X_X_X_X_[small]I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought, but WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones.[/small]

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

With Nero you choose 'Recorder---> Erase CD-Rewritable' (then you'd better choose 'quick erase'). But remember that erasing a CD-RW means that you'll delete everything.

PS
    Next time, make a good use of the command 'search', please. This issue has been alrady answered a couple of times in the Forum...

3. mstrchief

mstrchief Member

Hey,
    I tried erasing the information off of the cd-rw with Nero both quick-erase and full and when it finishes, it still has information on it, which Easy CD Creator looks at it as "unrecognized data." There is just 4 MB on it I want to get off. When I go into "my computer" and click on the drive that has the cd-rw in it, it says that there is no cd in the drive. So either Easy CD Creator is messed up so that it keeps saying "unrecognized data," Nero is screwed up not being able to erase the information or this is normal and there is supposed to be written data on the back I can see myself. (On the cd-rw is an iso image file)
    One other thing, every time I try to burn an iso image file on Nero, it always says "Could not perform fixation" after it went to 100% (what does that mean and how could I fix it so it doesn't make a coaster? would I need to change some setting, if so, which ones and where?) Also, I got a new burner not to long ago, and I have a new option before I burn something which is "Disc-At-Once/96," but I still have the option "Disc-At-Once." What would the difference be between the two?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jon

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Not erasing/no fixation: I don't know. Maybe the (well known) conflict between EZCD and Nero? More in general I would believe to Nero and flush in the toilet EZCD. Just try burning back new stuff...

DAO96: there is a proper thread on the main page:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/23595

Anyway, DAO 96 (also know as RAW DAO 96) applies to image burning, it means you write all data on the CD as they were extracted in the image (also error corection codes, without recalculation, and subchannel data P to W). This is needed to backup certain protected CDs.
    DAO 16 is similar, but writes only subchannels P to Q.