1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to finalize a mini dvd without the camcorder.

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by vem, Jan 18, 2007.

1. vem

vem Member

Hey everyone...

I have a simple question but a big problem.

I have three mini dvd's that I recorded with my Sharp camcorder.
    The problem is that I did not get a chance to finalize the disc before I gave it away to a friend in another country. I want to see
    the dvd's I recorder with the camcorder but I need to finalize them on my pc first and I dont know how to. Can anyone be helpful and guide me to any tutorials....

Thanks....

2. attar

attar Senior member

From what I have read, the disk has to be finalized in the Camcorder.
    It's similar to my situation with a Panasonic, stand alone, dvd recorder.
    You can play the disk in the recorder but it must be finalized in the recorder before it can be used in a PC or in any other device.
    Is it not possible to get your originals back and finalize them in the camcorder?

3. beanieman

beanieman Member

My problem isnt so straightforward.. I recorded a live concert for the band themselves.. on a DVD+R DL.. and let it burn to the end.. that seems to be the problem.. the first disc will not finalize..but the second disc which wasnt totally full did finalize..np.. The camcorder..which says... "DISC FULL" will not let me finalize it in Disc Manager.. i am assuming the idiots who designed this tech forgot to make sure to have the dvd leave some room for the finalization... or..what? i have a Samsung 564 dcd. I know the info is on the disc..but am afraid to use Roxio7 DVDBUILDER -EDIT DVD Finalize..as it destroyed the last disc i had this problem with..
    This is totally lame and the manufacturer's are totally to blame here for putting a product that doesn't work on the market...

Anyone have a software solution for this.. the dudes at adept in the UK no less.want 95&+ to recover this info... thats total nonsense...

4. attar

attar Senior member

@beanieman
    I assume the camcorder won't let you play/view or output the contents of the dvd?
    I have used a prog. called 'CDROLLER' to extract vob files from unfinalized dvd-rw disks which were recorded on a (standalone) Panasonic DVD Recorder.
    Note that the disk was simply not finalized- it was not a case of not having enough space.
    I recovered the vob file, renamed it as an .mpg file and simply reauthored it to another dvd.
    http://www.cdroller.com/htm/isoread.html

5. JFnonada

JFnonada Member

A delay in this thread, but a follow up question (for attar, if possible):

I have a mini-DVD-R (TDK brand) that has been recorded on with a Panasonic Camcorder (VDR-M53), but the disk error occurred before I could finalize the disk. This has happened many times before with this camcorder (yes, I am buying a new one at this point, I am a fool for not having done so sooner). I know there is approx 25 minutes of video stored on the disk, but the camera can't see it at all. Is this recoverable? Can CDRoller do this? If so, should I have someone more tech-savvy than me do it? I just bought but have not installed a DVD write-drive, but I really know NADA about this stuff.

Thanks in advance for any advice, I'm heartbroken at losing this video, as it's of my daughter's 2nd birthday.

6. attar

attar Senior member

From the CD Roller site FAQ.

Q: I often get probs with the dvd-r disks I use in a sony camcorder dcr-dvd91, usually before finalising. Can your software recover data from these?
    A: CDRoller is able to recover the video files (VOB files) from mini DVD-R/RW discs created by Sony DVD Camcorders. In order to read the "troubled" or non-finalized DVD discs, you should use the computer DVD-RW drive (dvd writer) instead of DVD-ROM drive (dvd reader). At first, we recommend to use Recover DVD Video option from the File Menu and follow the displayed instructions "step by step". Also, you can follow the instructions from the chapter 6.10 in User's Manual or Help File, trying some options from the forced scan list. To convert the recovered VOB files into MPEG ones, you can use Split Vdeo option. Further, just load MPEG files into your DVD mastering software and create a new DVD with recovered v
    ideo.

7. dramteke

dramteke Member

Hello,

Currently am facing problem with finalizing the mini DVDs, my camcord DVD player won't finish the Finalization process, and gives me a disk error. I have 2 mini DVDS (R and R-W) with similar problem.

Kindly guide me to retrive the data from those 2 DVDs. Also let me know why this error is happening...

Regards,

Deepak

8. attar

attar Senior member

I'm sorry, I don't know why the camcorder is failing.
    Go to the site and down load the manual.
    Start in page 22, which shows various methods for recovering data from mini-disks.
    Then download the trial version and test it.
    If the program can recover the data it will tell you, but unless you register (buy) it won't write it out.

http://www.cdroller.com/htm/download.html

I don't know of any free programs that will recover data from these disks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  9. shahaz

shahaz Member

hai everybody i have big problem with my dvd handycam i have rocorded with a dvd-r a atlast therewas only 3minutes remaining and i removed the disc and placed in my bag without finalising and when i returned home and tried to play it the handycam show "disc error" .so antone who knows how to fix it please tellme .i am using canon DC10 .i used lot of softwares like cdroller,dvd decrypter all show an empty disc message . please for god sake please help me to solve it

10. shahaz

shahaz Member

hai everybody i have big problem with my dvd handycam i have rocorded with a dvd-r atlast therewas only 3minutes remaining and i removed the disc and placed in my bag without finalising and when i returned home and tried to play it in the handycam it show "disc error" .so anyone who knows how to fix it please tellme .i am using canon DC10 .i used lot of softwares like cdroller,dvd decrypter all show an empty disc message . please for god sake please help me to solve it

11. beanieman

beanieman Member

Cdroller while it s a good program to retrieve non-dual layer discs, it is incapabale of scanning any and all Dual layer mini dvd's in any kind of timely fashion... especiallyt after it hits layer 2.. You might as well give up is wot ive found. BTW.. there are no other programs which can even recognize there is info onthese discs except Cdroller, but it can't see the 2nd layer no matter what you do, and if it does; it screws it up badly..usually there is corruption and missing parts of the video.

I have many of these mini dvd+rDL's. Yes cdroller claims to see the information, but literally i let it scan for the info..and it took 3months before the scan was completed. Im am serious i let it run that long. That was only the scan mind you. I tried to recover after saving the scan info, and it was even slower then the scan.
    So i gave up. so if any of you out ther want to see NolaJazzfest07 or the Police Pepsi center disc2.. let me know of a program that sees and can recover the video which is not called "Cdroller"

Cdroller is awesome for retrieving unfinalized single sided minidvd's but thats about it.