1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to find a persons ip address while chatting

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Budz, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Budz

Budz Member

Hi :)

i would be really grateful if someone could tell me exactly how i can find out the IP address of a person using command prompt in windows XP....i know there is a command "netstat" but dont know the procedure.

My father likes to call me using skype and msn when im abroad on business, the problem is he uses my PC and logs into my accounts, and forgets (or doesnt know) how to log out. he doesnt know how to send me the ip address, so i want to be able to do it! so that i can control the PC remotely (I have the username and password set on the PC) so all i need is the IP address.

Please help me with this, as it is annoying when people on my skype and msn messenger list think im ignoring them coz i dont reply!

Thanx! :)

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try ipconfig or inetwiz

3. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

4. Budz

Budz Member

Thanx for the responses.

Maybe i havent expressed my query correctly. I dont want to find out my own IP address. I want to find out the IP address of the person i am chatting with, the command "netstat" shows all the connections. but there is a specific command (I cant remember it) that allows me to continously monitor the ip addresses of the people i am chatting to.

Hope you can help :) thanx

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Assuming you are talking about NBTSTAT -- as follows are the command you will see on your screen once you have entered this NetBios Program after the Command Prompt :-

NBTSTAT [ [-a RemoteName] [-A IP address] [-c] [-n]
    [-r] [-R] [-RR] [-s] [-S] [interval] ]

where :

-a (adapter status) Lists the remote machine's name table given its name
    -A (Adapter status) Lists the remote machine's name table given its
    IP address.
    -c (cache) Lists NBT's cache of remote [machine] names and their IP
    addresses
    -n (names) Lists local NetBIOS names.
    -r (resolved) Lists names resolved by broadcast and via WINS
    -R (Reload) Purges and reloads the remote cache name table
    -S (Sessions) Lists sessions table with the destination IP addresses
    -s (sessions) Lists sessions table converting destination IP
    addresses to computer NETBIOS names.
    -RR (ReleaseRefresh) Sends Name Releasee packets to WINS and then, starts Refresh

Smiles, this should refresh your memory !

Good Luck

OOOOps -- edited to correct a typo !

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2005
  6. Budz

Budz Member

Hi Jeanc1

Thank you for ur help! :) it has bought me alot of smiles :)

if im chatting to my father (who knows nothing about PCs) which command can i use to get his ip address, i mean a specfic command or program. the program should show me all the hops made and the final destination.

This will help me gain remote access to my PC at home and help my father shut programs.

thanx again ;)

7. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Your query is very touchy -- to say the least ! I am sorry but do you realize that my answer could lead to other people breaking in to someone computer !

I gave you the basics on how to use NBTSTAT -- this is as far as I can go without endangering the privacy of other computer users.

Let's not forget this is a public forum ; and furthermore you are an unknown to me.

Best Regards !

8. Budz

Budz Member

I understand why you are suspicious and am fully aware of the consequences of you answering my question but I get no pleasure whatsoever playing with people’s privacy! I have a life! I just wish to help my dad. It's very annoying when he logs into my account (as he is using my pc and msn and skype log on automatically) and doesn’t know how to log out. Friends of mine think I am ignoring them when they send me messages.

Thank you for all your help, a shame its such a sensitive subject and wish those losers in the world would leave people alone and use technology as it is supposed to be used! Not abuse it.

Thank you again.

Best regards

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

why not set up an account for him in windows so that he logs onto his account & not yours??

10. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Ahh.. thank you for your understanding My Friend !
    Have you thought of making use of the built-in Remote Desktop Connection available in Windows XP ! Since you own both ends , this should be an easy way for you to control the PC at your home while you are away.

11. Budz

Budz Member

No one understands! My dad doesnt know how to open a word document! let alone find out the ip address of the PC, and the ip is dynamic, that is why i need to find out the ip address from here, and then connect (the username and password i know) its just the ip address i need! thats y im asking for methods to find out the ip

once i have that logging in will be easy using windows xp remote desktop monitoring

thanx

12. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

¨
    If you [bold]are chatting with him [/bold], perhaps you can tell him to [bold]click the Local connection icon by the clock[/bold] , this will bring up the Local Area Connection Status small window - one more [bold]click on the Support Tab[/bold] and the [bold]Ip address [/bold]is there to relay to you while you are ""chatting"".

Have a great Day !

13. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

14. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

That's wierd, because how would he know how to chat?

And if you're saying, you taught him, exactly my point. Teach him how to give you, his IP address.

15. Budz

Budz Member

Toiletman look i came here to learn something! I cant be bothered for people to call me a liar! if you think that, dont answer the question. Im not gonna keep explaining myself! Im going around in circles here.

I understand Jeanc1's concern and have cleared things up.

Forget this question, ill find another method, just thought a forum would be the first best place.

I would like to thank all of you for your contributions, thank you.

Regards