1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Find and Remove Duplicate Files on Any Operating System

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by ireland, Dec 11, 2014.

1. ireland

ireland Active member

How to Find and Remove Duplicate Files on Any Operating System

Search for a duplicate-file-finder and you’ll find yourself bombarded with junkware-filled installers and paid applications. We’ve put together lists of the best free duplicate-file-finders so you can save some time.

The applications here cover Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and even Android. Apple’s iOS doesn’t offer a user-visible file system, so you can’t do this on an iPhone or iPad. No Chrome apps are currently available to do this on a Chromebook.

Windows
    The biggest problem when searching for a duplicate-file-finder for Windows is all the junkware. There are many different duplicate-file-finder apps that probably work okay, but want to force various toolbars, search engine changes, and other junkware onto your system when you install them. There are also paid applications that you don’t really need to buy because freeware will work just fine for you.

We liked the dupeGuru applications for this, but Duplicate File Finder offers more basic and potentially faster scanning, DigitalVolcano’s Duplicate Cleaner Free is decent if you want a commercial application that gives you a prettier interface at the cost of a few nag screens. VisiPic works well for hunting down duplicate photos with a nice visual interface.

Read our detailed overview of the best duplicate-file-finders we found for Windows to find out which is right for you. None of these programs will try to install junkware on your system.

go here to read more

http://www.howtogeek.com/201167/how-to-find-and-remove-duplicate-files-on-any-operating-system/

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

and beware.. there are many duplicates in system and system32 which fill path dependencies.. take out the wrong ones and at the minimum things won't work, and at worst a rolling reboot..

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

had a customer do that & I had to reload his windows.

4. maxinus4

maxinus4 Newbie

Well for the Replies from all the readers i feel that people believe that all the Softwares or freewares are junk but to my knowledge softwares are made for the help and to solve a problem , i am not saying that everything is perfect but to give a try to DuplicateFilesDeleter you will feel yourself

5. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I seriously try to avoid feeling myself.. that's why I have a boyfriend and wine :D