1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to find out fileformat (mpeg-1-2)

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by rottenegz, Jan 6, 2005.

1. rottenegz

rottenegz Member

I have dled a few video clips and i would like to know what kind of mpeg format it is. If it is in mpeg-2 format then i can burn them on a dvd but if there mpeg-1 then i would have to convert them right?

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

In any case, if you read our guide (http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm, avoid the codec/FFDShow part if you have a mpeg), you need to convert it to .M2V with TMPGenc Plus and to author it with IFOEdit, adding the sound, too.
    The problem is that often a input movie has less less resolution than 720x480 and doing a DVD-R is useless.
    Making a VCD is easier and cheaper and gets similar results. More, just needs TMPGenc basic.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  3. stardust

stardust Regular member

rottenegz - use the latest GSpot to find out what mpeg type you have.

>input movie has less resolution than 720x480 and doing a DVD-R is useless

Useless?? If capturing avi with reso 352x480(576) and good lossless codec like Huffyuv and then converting them to same reso mpeg-2s, authoring and burning to DVD-R.. you hardly can not see any difference in normal TV compared to full reso.