1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to find signal for MMDS

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by BoxedOut, Sep 22, 2008.

1. irishman7

irishman7 Member

Hope someone can help find choru$ signal in Roscommon. Have digivox-t and mmds aerial with integrated downconverter from satellitetv.ie but cannot recieve signal. I think I'm pointing in correct direction but even with alot of work cannot recieve any signal is there anyone that can help with transmitter locations

2. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

The first valid frequency should be 682mhz or 690mhz.
    If you use that frequencies you should see bars for signal strength/quality.

3. satguy99

satguy99 Member

your down converter has a range of 214mhz to 400mhz the symbol rate for N*L is 6.887 and the gap is 8mhz ,,are you sure the carrier in your area is cH0RU$ , i thought i was N*L ??? IF it is Ch0ru$ hen the symbol rate is 6.875 and the range is still 214 to 400 mhz

4. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

The downconverters sold from satandcable have if662 (lo1838).
    2500 minus 1838 give 662. First centre frequency is therefor 666 and first valid frequency 682 for frequency scheme A. The first 2 transponders are not in use for digital.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  5. irishman7

irishman7 Member

Thaks guys for the quick responce I have verified my box on a mates aerial so my problem is definitly aerial setup. I'm confident that my cables & conections power is ok what kind of equipement could i use to locate signal and allign aerial correctly. Would a spectrum anyliser work. Also on my downconverter there are 3 sets of mounting holes which one would be best for my setup or there a specific distance from converter to mesh picture of downconverter below
    http://www.satellitetv.ie/shop/index.php?controller=product&path=58&product_id=158

6. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

First you should check if you really got a downconverter with if214.
    Satandcable sold different ones in the past.
    Next you should check the polarity. The downconverter specially the head has to be mounted horizontally or vertically.
    If you installed the downconverter in the right direction do a manual scan at 234mhz or 242mhz for a downconverter with if214 and check signal strength/quality and align your aerial with help of the bars.

7. irishman7

irishman7 Member

Thanks mgb17
    Have verified downconverter if214
    Have only got a chance to work at this today since last post.
    As of now when I do a manual scan at 242mhz I'm getting signal strength of approx. 83% and quality of approx 25% no matter how I adjust I cannot improve quality anyone have any ideas

8. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Either the downconverter/feedarm is adjusted with the wrong polarization or you get too less signal strength from your aerial.

9. irishman7

irishman7 Member

Thanks again mgd17
    By polarization do you mean downcoverter in either horizontal or vertical position as I have checked both and only get a signal on horozontal. If aerial is the problem is it possible to amplify. There are several identical aerial setups in my locality so I would be confident of a solution eventually.

10. irishman7

irishman7 Member

Also I connected aerial with downconverter directly to rf input of tv and searched found BBC1 and Boomerang with perfect reception and a few others with poor reception.

11. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Are you sure the powerinserter for the downconverter is fully working.
    Btw a short circuit anywhere in the cable run is also not so good.

12. irishman7

irishman7 Member

Just thought I'd leave some feedback. I did not do any more work on mmds setup over xmass due to weather and work. I had a day to myself yesterday and did some faultfinding. Result was power inserter. Power inserter was giving 18V at downconverter but when I tried to power 12V 15W bulb it would not supply enough power. I replaced another power inserter and everything perfect no adjustment needed. Thank you to all who gave me advice