1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to fit the most onto DVD(backup data)?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cybermess, Jan 7, 2004.

1. cybermess

cybermess Member

just wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to burn more than 4.7GB of data from my system onto a reg 4.7 GB disc....i would think that if u can copy up to 8GB of videoDVD, then there must be a way to do this with ISO,s and regular files.....if anyone could give me some tips or point me in the direction of software capable of doing this it would be excellent.cheers!

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

When people talk about copying an 8GB disk to a DVD-R they mean that they used one of the methods to make the files smaller, not that they burned more data than the disk is supposed to hold. Also, the actual limit is 4.37GB. The 4.7GB number is just using different math to come up with the size so it appears to be bigger than it really is. Basically you're stuck with the 4.37GB limit.

3. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Vurbal is correct. When we talk about compressing a 8 GB DVD movie down to 4.37, we are really talking about removing extra features and compressing the video. Video compression is accomplished by removing the detail from the video.

The key is a 4.37 disc can never be extracted and re-inflated back up to 8 GB.

If programs like winzip won't help you there's not much else to do.

4. malum

malum Regular member

Which is pretty much the answer you got from me when you posted this in the advanced forum.
    Once would have done it.