1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to fix an 8GB DS Fire Card formatted in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by DBJR, Mar 10, 2008.

1. ReggDegg

ReggDegg Member

the xmenu must already be in when you are updating the 1.45 firmware.
    here...
    ..go here...
    http://www.dslinker.cn/soft/

download the "DSLinker Firmware 1.45 and XMENU 2.53" from this page.
    read carefully the text file which comes with the download.
    there is more than one way to upgrade.
    follow the instructions & let us know how you get on.
    if you get stuck, give us a shout.
    good luck.

2. nmhorient

nmhorient Member

I have been following this thread trying to fix my 8gb DS FireCard. When I try the formating instructions, I end up with the following message on the upper screen:
    warning! need full check
    quick check
    blocks= 4032/4032

What can I do to do a full check or get the card formatted.
    thanks Nicholas

3. ReggDegg

ReggDegg Member

ignore this message for now(translate: i dont know what it means)
    answer some questions, and your firecard will be fixed today.
    are you able to link the firecard to your PC?
    are you able to put games on the firecard?
    does the firecard play these games?
    does the firecard fail to load the games menu?
    what does the error message say?

4. nmhorient

nmhorient Member

Regg Degg,
    many thanks reply.
    to start I have a second FireCard and checked the USB connections etc before inserting the corrupt firecard to check the problem is not elsewhere.

1. When I switch on I get the message:
    Loading menu
    error not format.

2. If I do the format procedure with the PC/DS adaptor inserted I get the message
    warning: need full check
    quick check
    blocks 4032/4032

3. If I connect the USB cable and switch on I get
    error not format

4. i am unable in any way able to connect between the PC and DS.

any help appreciated

Nick

5. ReggDegg

ReggDegg Member

you have a 2nd firecard? a working one?....good.
    Try this idea...it's so crazy, it might just work.
    connect the GOOD firecard to your computer through the DS.
    when you get to the 'USB mode/game mode' screen, TAKE OUT the 'good' firecard(dont turn the DS off)and put in the BAD firecard.
    then <select> 'USB mode'. this might let you connect the 'bad' card with your computer.
    if it does, delete everything & put on a good copy of the xmenu & DSYSTEM FILE and a copy of the latest firmware:
    http://www.dslinker.cn/download/DSLinker_XMENU255.rar
    when you get it on the firecard, dissconnect.
    insert GOOD firecard and get to the 'USB mode/game mode' menu, take out GOOD card and put in BAD card(leave DS turned on) then select GAME MODE.
    this might, just might let you change to uncorrupted firmware(which i think might be your problem).
    if you get the 'bad' firecard connected to the PC using this method, you may also like to try this on the card if the firmware thing doesnt work:
    http://www.sdcard.org/about/downloads/
    let me know how you get on with it.
    good luck.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  6. nmhorient

nmhorient Member

Many thanks ReggDegg for the idea, but unfortunately does not work.
    If I do as you suggest when I hit the USB mode with the bad card i get the following message:
    error; not formated.

I tried to get in by connecting into the pc with the good card then substituting the bad card and deleting everything {which actually should be on the good card} and installing the xmenu etc. having done this I continued with your suggestion but again got the not formatted message when i hit the game mode.
    Luckily I have a good one but it refuses to save. I have to start anew each time.
    thanks anyway unless you have another idea.
    Nick

7. gadget1st

gadget1st Member

I formatted my F-Card and at the time did not have a USB cable to connect NDS Lite to PC. I thought okay I will buy a cable and try again, unfortunately now when I select F-Card in NDS menu I get a white screen and it does nothing. Not only that but when I try the L+R+X+Y+A+B+UP I get USB SAFE BLOCK D12(ADDR5) but see cannot do anything or see it as a drive on my PC to copy the xmenu files across.

Please help

Gadget

8. pookyboop

pookyboop Member

Hey there:) I really need help with my fire card. On certain games like madden 09, speed racer etc I keep getting an error code saying data not saves turn off your ds and reinsert card. I have tried downloading from other sites hoping it would work and it still won't allow those games to download. Can anyone help me figure this out or tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

9. nmhorient

nmhorient Member

hi Gadget1st,
    I am having exactly the same problem, but which button is the "F tab".
    I get the safe mode when just pressing L+R+A+B+up.

rgds Nick

10. gadget1st

gadget1st Member

"F tab" ??? I have not seen that term used anywhere.

I addition when I put my F-Card into DSFirelink adaptor I can see the disk as a drive but cannot access it....

I still need help.

11. nmhorient

nmhorient Member

Hi, I mean the following as per your instructions:

2. While pushing the above two buttons, tab "F-Card" button.

rgds - nick

12. gadget1st

gadget1st Member

I was quoting somebody else's instructions but the F-Card appears on the display so click on the f-Card Icon.

13. eddcole

eddcole Member

I too am having problems with my F card i get the error :eek:pen xmanu,dat error even though xmenu is on the card, i cannot full format anymore only quick format if anyone has any ideas i appreciate it oh the guy who could see his fire link card but not access it, when you plug the card into the fire linker make sur the light plashes brightlt, not just a dull flash that way the ds linker has picked it up then you pc will also

14. dss2k1

dss2k1 Member

Hi pookyboop,

Your problem is very simple to fix. The reason that you cannot play those DS games is because you do not currently have the latest software, DSLinker. Download version 2.55, then replace your current xmenu with this verion. You will be fine.

http://www.dslinker.cn/soft/

Regarding all the questions on errors. I have seen a few of the following errors from my friends. I do not know how some came about, but I have seen the following errors in a few Fire Cards:

- "Error: Data is not align 16K!" - - From ReggDegg's post: means it has been formatted in windows(needs to be formatted while in the DS)

- I also have seen someone who could play games that were on the card, but not able to add or delete any games.

- I have seen purple screen that later turned white screen after I tried to format using Windows (NO NO NO - DO NOT use Windows to format your Fire Card. You will end up with either blank screen or Error: Data is not align 16K!)

Regardless of the errors shown above or very similar ones, use the formatting method I used before to fix mine.

By the way, the F-Card is just the button shown on the upper left corner of the lower screen you see after clicking the screen once after powering up the DS.

I have edited my previous instruction as follows, so I hope they have clear up any confusion.

Step-by-Step Instruction:

1. Push and hold "Start" + "Select" buttons, while turning on the DS. Do not let go of the two buttons.
    2. While pushing the above two buttons, click the "F-Card" button on the lower screen (with your stylus.)
    3. The Format Menu will show up on the top screen.
    4. Do Full Format. Scroll down w/ the "down arrow," then push "A" to select. (I have used quick format, and it worked as well. It's up to you.)
    5. It will start formatting. Full formatting takes a while to finish.
    6. Once it's done, you can drag and drop the xmenu and all your favorite ROM files into the "removable disk."
    7. Enjoy!

15. dss2k1

dss2k1 Member

Hi eddcole,

Although your card already has the xmenu loaded, it might be corrupted. Similar to the case when someone can play games, but cannot add or delete the ROMs, go ahead and format your card using the step-by-step instruction.

Be assured, your Fire Card will NEVER burn up and disappear. Unless you drop it in water, I will bet you that it can be fixed by using those steps.

By the way, for all those who have used this method to fix your Fire Cards, please do yourself a big favor...

Spread the words by telling everyone to vote for this coming president election. Your vote counts!

Go Boeing 787!!!!!!!!

16. dss2k1

dss2k1 Member

I will repeat...

Please tell everyone to go to the poll and cast his or her vote in the upcoming presidential election. Your vote counts!

17. eddcole

eddcole Member

Thanks dss2k1 for you reply

I have formatted my card and put numerous different menus on it to make sur it is not corrupt but i still get the same error message

18. nmhorient

nmhorient Member

Hi dss2k1,
    I have tried what you wrote. I have a display which says N CARD in the upper part of the lower screen, which I assume is the same.
    If I tab that with the stylus the lower screen changes to USB MODE/ MENU and the upper screen shows nothing.
    If if tab USB MODE it shows error not format on the upper screen.Lower screen blank.
    if I tab MENU it shows Loading menu, error not format on lower screen. Upper screen blank.

I do note seem to be able to get a Format Menu on the upper screen.

any more help appreciated

19. dss2k1

dss2k1 Member

nmhorient,

Aside from the N Card, which I have never used. Assumed it's the same, you should get similar result.

From what you wrote that you got USB Mode / Menu, I believe you have done the followings:

1. Inserted the adapter and connected the USB cable to your PC.
    2. Powered up the DS.
    3. Click the screen one when prompted.
    4. Tap on the N-Card (inleu of F-Card).
    5. You got USB Mode / Menu

The above steps are for playing your DS games, not formatting.

Please re-read the instruction again. You first push and hold (very important), then power up your DS.

Just follow the rest of the steps, and you should be able to format the F-card in the DS environment, not at your Windows.

The "Start" and "Select" buttons are two smaller buttons next to the lower right screen.

If you did it correctly, you should see F-Card button on the upper lower screen. Just click it once with your finger, and the format menu should appear on the upper screen.

I have just tested it again, and it worked as expected.

Other than that were posted, I have nothing else to add that can help anyone else on the F-Card.

Once again, please remember to tell all your friends that their votes count. ;-)

20. nmhorient

nmhorient Member

Hi, just to make sure we are talking about the same card, what I have if you follow this link is a DS FIRE CARD. Is this the same as a F Card since my shows N Card on the screen.