1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to fix an 8GB DS Fire Card formatted in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by DBJR, Mar 10, 2008.

1. dss2k1

dss2k1 Member

The one on the right side, DS Fire Link, is the one that I have. The F-Card on the left side is new, as indicated.

On the upper lower screen shows F-Card at the button.

Take care,

2. nmhorient

nmhorient Member

Hi,
    Its one thing after another. My good Firecard is acting up. When I restart a game and try to play from the previous saved position, it does not work and the only way I can play is to start from the begining again.
    Is this a DS issue or FireCard issue.
    b tks - Nick

3. AJA1973

AJA1973 Member

Can anyone help.
    My menu seems to be corrupted with.sav files which i can't remove.
    I have done a reboot on my fire card, but these files just don't seem to go away.
    Has anybody got any ideas on how to solve this problem.
    I have a 16gb fire card.
    Any info is much appreciated.

4. shepochu

shepochu Member

Hi everyone I am having problems using my brand new firecard I have just bought. I set up everything in my DS and then turn it on. When I go into USB mode my computer will not read the card, as windows says its an "Unknown Device". I have tried to install the drivers through windows for this but windows is unable to find them.

I have done a full format on my DS, which did not solve the problem. I can get my DS to go into "USB SAFE BLOCK D14" mode and my computer will recognise my DS but I can not access the fire card as my computer says "D:/Not accessible, the request could not be performed due to an input/output error. I have tried this on my windows XP machine and my mums Vista laptop.

Please help!

5. dss2k1

dss2k1 Member

shepochu,

If you just purchased it brand new, then the system file should have already been loaded. All you would need to do was loading the games, and then power up to play.

Since you mentioned doing setup, but the PC not able to recognize the device, I think your Fire Card might be bad. If you have just tried to connect everything, and it did not allow you to load games, then I would return it for an exchange.

If you were able to play before, and not now, then reformatting would be the solution I recommend. Since you have done a full format, assumed you did it using the DS module and not with Window, then it should work. Furthermore, your system file, xmenu 2.55, would have been completely deleted and must be reloaded.

Regardless, try reformat once more using the correct procedures. If everything fails, I recommend contacting your seller to exchange for another one.

Like I have mentioned before, I have never encountered any Fire Card that I have not been able to revive, fortunately. All I did was using the DS console to reformat the module, reload the system file and games, and then everything was working just fine.

Recently, my older daughter's Fire Card was acting up when it froze while loading a game, which was already played before, and it would not load anymore even after shutting off and powering up again.

Since I did wanted to salvage all the SAV files that have all the scores, I did not want to format it. Instead, I simply deleted the system file, Xmenu 2.55, reloaded the same file, and everything was working normally. If anyone out there encounters this kind of problem, here you have it for fixing your freezing Fire Card. :)

If the above information helped anyone, please do me a big favor. Go out there and vote for this presidential election. :)

Better yet, tell all your families and friends who have registered to vote to cast their votes. It is your right! :)

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. shepochu

shepochu Member

Thanks for the advice, will contact who I bought it from and get an exchange.

Thanks for your advice.

Will vote for you!

Shepo

7. dss2k1

dss2k1 Member

8. superhelp

superhelp Member

My 8Gb card is new and doesn't work. I gave it a full format and now I get the following message:
    quick check
    blocks=0/4032
    error mftl_maxblocks=0

Windows recognizes the card but can't acces it because it is not formatted.

Please help, what can I do?

9. smedleyp

smedleyp Member

hi reggdegg, having problems with my 16 g fire card, had games on to start then erased them because i wanted to put more on but now, can't put any on comes up with Error: Open xmen.dat error,

could you please help has i have tried some you suggested and nothing happens thanx

10. nmhorient

nmhorient Member

Hi Superhelp,
    This is the same problem which i reported in my post of the 12th August 2008 and which to date I have not been able to fix. My DS has been sitting idle since end August since I've given up trying to fix it.
    rgds nmhorient

11. dss2k1

dss2k1 Member

Hi smedleyp,

If you get Error: Open xmen.dat error, I can guarantee you that your Firecard is missing the xmenu file.

Go here to download the DSLinker XMENU 2.55 software for your Firecard. (Just a note that his software is quite obsolete for many newer DS games. Since this software was released on 4/9/2008, it's due for a new release to support new DS games.)

http://www.dslinker.cn/soft/

For all those who are still having problems with your Firecard, and cannot play for whatever reason, the best I can say is to format it correctly.

Do not use Windows to format your Firecard because you will get Error: Data not align 16K!

Below is the step-by-step instruction to format your Firecard:

1. Push and hold "Start" + "Select", turn on DS. Do not let go the two buttons.
    2. While pushing the above two buttons, tab "F-Card" button.
    3. The Format Menu will show up on the top screen.
    4. Do Full Format. Scroll down w/ the "down arrow," then push "A" to select.
    5. It will start formatting. Full formatting takes a while to finish.
    6. Once it's done, you can drag and drop the xmenu and all your favorite ROM files into the "removable disk."

For all those who still had problems after using your DS to format the Firecard, check out this forum below to see if the information can help you.

Disclaimer: I have not read all the information in this link, so I do not know the details. All I see is from the top title that someone's Firecard still not working after formatting.

http://forum.dslinker.cn/viewthread.php?tid=604&extra=page=1

Alright, since the holiday season is coming up soon, and we all know there are a lot of unfortunate people out there who can really need our helps.

If you have found my posts helped you fixed your Firecard in anyway, please join me in helping the needies this holiday season by donating foods, toys, $$$, time, etc. to help the needies and make their lives a little better. ;-)

Everyone is encouraged to help someone, regardless.

Best wishes to everyone, and happy holidays!

12. ReggDegg

ReggDegg Member

13. pwhea

pwhea Member

I am replying to this thread because I too have a firecard that is now useless - I have followed all the results of this thread but to no avail - my firecard screen is as follows:-

USB DISK V1,45 (16G)
    FORMAT MENU ([UP]/[DOWN],[A]=OK}

CANCEL
    --> QUICK FORMAT
    FULL FORMAT

QUICK FORMATTED=NO
    FULL FORMATTED=NO

As you can see by the screen both QUICK AND FULL formatted options are marked as NO at the bottom of the screen so I believe this is the reason I am unable to format this disk -
    Does anyone know how to change these options at the bottom of the screen to yes instead of no?

QUICK FORMATTED=YES
    FULL FORMATTED-YES

14. raem

raem Member

i was having the same problem, "Error: Data is not align 16K".
    i knew i did this myself formatting in a pc without reading online about the problem it causes, i did all the hints or tips hold start/reset when starting holding a/b l/r and up on startup but the menu just didnt work on mine i even paniced when i read theres no come back from this, but there is i found a little program that did it first time and its free
    http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/
    in options i did the following:
    format type.........full erase on
    format size adjust..off
    it take a little time but it works first time enjoy

15. clair35

clair35 Member

Hya I was having the same probs with my 8gb fire card it was working perfect until the last few weeks and now new games are just not playing and ds saying switch off and remove card or games are playing but not saving... I have just upgraded and quick formatted the card but its not made a diffrence at all to the games im having probs with any ideas guys??? thanks for any help x

16. sumguy09

sumguy09 Member

Ok heres my problem,

I have read all the threads above and still nothing.
    I'm not a novice when it come to these things but this has me stumped.

Each of the posts above give me some degree of info that helps but stii come back to the same point where nothing works.

Method 1

Power on an press and hold A|B|L|R|U and i get USE SAFE BLOCK D14[ADDR5]

Result :- Computer found the ds but couldnt access the card, i recived an I/O error. Tried to run the NAND_ALL.bat and nothing happend.

Method 2

Power on an press and hold A|B|L|R|D and i get warning:need full check!
    quick check...
    blocks=0/4032
    error mftl_maxblocks=0

Method 3 Select and Start + A

Result nothing.

Any help would be grateful

17. nanito11

nanito11 Guest

regdeg i apprecciate you thank you man !!I WAS HAVING SAME PROBLEM i thought it would be never fixed and i have to buy a new ds mk5 ,thankssssssssss also thanks for the guy who posted the problem cuz i dont like to post my problems i dont have hope thanxxxxxx