1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Fix an Error 16

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by chunkhead, Nov 7, 2007.

1. trav_555

trav_555 Member

no where do i put the files, e.g the splinter softmod files on the xbox hdd

like which partion and folder nd is there anything i have to do to em or just copy em on there in xplorer360

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I'm confused!

Are you trying to open a Hotswap, drop the SID files in and then try to use them after you put the Xbox back together!?

Not sure if that works but, the files should be placed in 'Partition 4' in 'UDATA'.

They need to stay in their folders (55ee0000, etc)

3. dskansas

dskansas Member

Just thought I would let you know I used this option to fix my problem with an error 21. I purchased an already modded xbox and being the curious George, I had to try to add Mame to it. Somehow I replaced the system default.xbe with the Mame default.xbe. I tried other methods of hot swapping and could not get my pc to see my xbox hdd. I followed this tutorial and the device manager would see my xbox drive but xplorer360 would not. I ended up using fat-x-plorer and used it to delete the mame default.xbe with the system default.xbe and I am back up and running after months of frustration. Just thought I would share my results in case some other knucklehead does something similar.

Thanks chunkhead

4. farrantch

farrantch Member

thanks chunkhead. i got it to work great! i have another question tho. could u use this to softmod your xbox in the first place also? lets say that ur box isnt modded at all. could u umplug the dvd drive, turn it on, let the error pop up, umplug the hd, connect the hd to the pc and use xplorer360 to place files on the c:/ that would make it softmodded. im probably missin so small detail that prevents this, but if you could do this please tell me. after doing this i have a nonmodded xbox with stuff on it from when it was modded, but i dont have the splintercell cd anymore, so cant re-softmod it. if this is possible, could u possibly make a pre-made c:/ with unleashx on it? thanks 4 everything?

5. farrantch

farrantch Member

srry 4 double posting, but that last line on my last post was supposed 2 be like this. "thanks 4 everything!!"

6. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

If Xplorer360 is giving you hassle, by all means, try FATXplorer, I have added it to my Software page!

@ farrantch

Yes you can, but I don't encourage that sort of thing as it almost always goes wrong and you'll be back here asking me how to fix it!

7. peebody01

peebody01 Member

Hi,

I got an error code 11 when I booted the Xbox with the DVD drive IDE cable unhooked. Is this OK?

Also, when I hook the Xbox drive up to my PC and use xplorer360, I get the error:

Could not find a FATX drive to open

I'm desperately trying to fix error 16 from a softmod gone bad.

Thanks for any help!!!

8. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Hotswap Tips:
    1) Hotswap while windows is loaded. Use the "Scan for hardware changes" in device manager.
    2) If having trouble, especially Error 16, unplug the DVD drive within the Xbox and allow the Error 12 screen to appear. Then hotswap.
    3) If using the Xboxhdm hotswap, don't start the hotswap until you have already loaded Xboxhdm.
    4) Should you have any issues with your HDD not being detected, turn off your PC, turn it back on and press the 'Pause|Break' key prior to the BIOS auto detecting HDDs. Perform the hotswap at this point, then continue the boot.

9. peebody01

peebody01 Member

Hotswap Tips:
    1) Hotswap while windows is loaded. Use the "Scan for hardware changes" in device manager.

I did this and got the message "Could not find a FATX drive to open" in xplorer360.

2) If having trouble, especially Error 16, unplug the DVD drive within the Xbox and allow the Error 12 screen to appear. Then hotswap.

When I do this, I get an Error 11. Is this OK?

3) If using the Xboxhdm hotswap, don't start the hotswap until you have already loaded Xboxhdm.

I did this.

4) Should you have any issues with your HDD not being detected, turn off your PC, turn it back on and press the 'Pause|Break' key prior to the BIOS auto detecting HDDs. Perform the hotswap at this point, then continue the boot.

I will try this.

I'm definitely concerned about the Error 11 I'm getting instead of the Error 12. Does the hard drive also unlock on an Error 11?

Thanks!!!

10. peebody01

peebody01 Member

Ok, so the hard drive appears just fine under Disk Drives in Device Manager. However, when I try to open it in Xplorer360, I get the message

Could not find a FATX drive to open!

I don't think the hard drive is unlocking due to the Error 11 that I'm getting. Any other way to force a 12?

Thanks!

11. peebody01

peebody01 Member

Ok, so I was going to try the software at hddunlock.com, which claims to retrieve the HDD password. It wouldn't run, telling me the Xbox drive needed to be a master.

I changed the drive to a master and before trying the hddunlock software I tried xplorer360 and it read the drive!!!

I copied the MS Dash files to the Xbox c drive and it looks like I am up an running!

Thanks for the great docs!!!

12. peebody01

peebody01 Member

Oh, yeah, right out of the Xbox, the drive was set to cable select. I changed it back to cable select before putting it back in the Xbox.

13. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Nice tip, I've also heard of problem drives being fixed by removing the jumper completely!

I'll add this to the troubleshooter!

;)

14. YoyoUnix

YoyoUnix Member

I am currently trying this tut, I am getting error eleven and my comp doesnt detect any hardware changes when its hooked onto the xbox, any idea whats the problem?

15. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Make sure you are unplugging the correct cable and only the IDE!

16. YoyoUnix

YoyoUnix Member

ok so far I have seen 4 IDE cables in my comp ones connected to the harddrive ones connected to the dvd rom, another to the cdr/rw drive, and one to the floppy drive but other than that im lost

17. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

For hotswapping via this method, unplug the CD drive in you computer! Where the CD connected to the motherboard, this is the spot that you'll connect the Xbox to!

;)

18. YoyoUnix

YoyoUnix Member

whoops I made a boo boo, I have 3 IDE cables the dvd rom and cdr/rw are connected to each other. The cd rom is connected to the slave plug in and dvd is connected to the master

19. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Like I said, you only want your HDD plugged in, unplug the rest and plug the Xbox to the Secondary Master!

;)

20. Delmorte

Delmorte Guest

Explorer 360 worked once now it gives me the cant find error. I used the FATXplorer and it tells me it cant be found(locked?).

Now what?