1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Fix an Error 16

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by chunkhead, Nov 7, 2007.

1. varnull

varnull Guest

That's weird.. error5 is unlocked.. now how have you locked the other drive to an unknown eeprom? .. I think theres something funny going on here. Try another IDE cable.

2. dimedash1

dimedash1 Member

yeah thats y im confused! i can always get the error 05 on the 8 gb hard drive, but i cant lock it at all! and i dont have a eeprom at all so i have the other hard drive just trying to get the clock to work at the moment. my friend has a few xbox's and eventually ill pop his hard drive in my xbox to see if that restarts the clock

and unfortunately, this is the only ide cord i have, brand new computer!

3. FaroZ06

FaroZ06 Member

I boot in Windows and then do the hotswap. Once I complete the hotswap, though, the computer stops detecting its own drive and only detects the XBOX drive. And so the system crashes. Also, when in the boot menu, it can't detect both drives at once. Any help?

4. yosphet

yosphet Member

Thank you for the excellent tutorial; I was able to hotswap while Windows XP was running and Xplorer360 had no trouble detecting the xbox hdd. For those of you having hotswap issues, I believe that my pc hdd was running as the master drive on channel 1 while the dvd-rom drive and cd-rom drives were set to the master and slave positions, respectively, on channel 2. After unplugging the IDE cable from both optical media drives, I plugged the IDE cable from the dvd-rom drive into the xbox hdd.

5. maDdoggnz

maDdoggnz Regular member

Ok so I have a unmodded xbox with error 16 .I got the hotswap done sweet as managed to get the Xbox drive to show in xplorer360 And deleted the files in partition 3 After backing them up and installed the files for The MS dashboard that I have on a auto installer disk. To the patation 3 On the xbox Hdd Reconected the Ide cable to the xbox hdd Turnd the xbox off then back on Hoping to get greated with the clock But I just got the error 16 again Is there something else i can try Other than getting the eeprom As i dont have a eeprom reader and dont realy want to go to that much Effort to fix it. As I have A fully working moded console any way . Is there any way i can fix it with my modded console ? Thanks for any replys Cheers :)

6. sergiovv

sergiovv Regular member

I fixed one using another modded xbox : I started the modded xbox with a rescue disc I downloaded then after the system reads the disc and you can see the options in the tv I unplug the hdd from power and ide and plugged the not working xbox's hdd then went back to the options in tv and choose "restore to factory settings" and that's it

Problem is I don't remember de name of the disc but if you look thorugh the site you'll find it .

7. adc2011

adc2011 Guest

*irrelevant twit removed*

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2009
  8. maDdoggnz

maDdoggnz Regular member

K gutted I used a allinone installer but didnt work so fuc* knows what the probem is

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

In English ?, and without the unnecessary disguised profanity ?

10. maDdoggnz

maDdoggnz Regular member

Whats not english about it creaky ? Cant you read between the lines It was just a matter of acidently not putting spaces in the ALL IN ONE Part of my post.(That english enuff for you Boss?)" Creaky Waves his big stick in anger " Happy now? good cause id hate to think that my bad spelling,grammer And my foul mouth were keeping you up and causing you distress and mental anguish. All the thousands of threds thats are here and you decide to pick on me for bad spelling and lack of spaces in my message so un cool creaky !!

And Apologys for the unnecessary disguised profanity Mi bad Brudda !
    Why so seirous..........

11. scum101

scum101 Guest

Lightnin' time?

12. kpoc25

kpoc25 Member

i dont know if this question has been asked or answered. but i have a hp slimline desktop that does not have ide connections i have a error 16 xbox that i kinda messed up trying to update for my son....who is now pissed at me..... i looked at some sata to ide controller cards and wondering if that would work... i hope

13. scum101

scum101 Guest

very doubtful.. a pci-ide card will usually work.

have you tried the other fixes?? .. especially the cold booting a live game and allowing it to update the dash, then running the exploit again.

14. kpoc25

kpoc25 Member

man i have tried everything(cold boot,trying to use slayers disc and aid disc,frostys repair disc, i have been looking to hotswap but then i saw this tut and said to myself i can do this.but my computer does not have a ide, but like you said maybe a pci ide controller might work going to trying and will post results. thanks

15. scum101

scum101 Guest

make sure to have the rest of the stuff you need all prepared.. and whatever you do don't even touch the lock/unlock tools or config magic... unless you want a brick.

16. kpoc25

kpoc25 Member

okay i wont man i hope this works will let you guys know thanks

17. scum101

scum101 Guest

have a hint for you as well.. unplug the dvd drive with hdd still connected.. let the box boot and it will go to error12 .. the hdd is then unlocked and will remain so as long as it is powered from the xbox psu.

18. kpoc25

kpoc25 Member

okay guys i tried the hotswap and it did not and i am kinda losing the fight and the xbox is winning... i have tried all the tuts out there so far but if there like a disc or something that i can buy if need be that will restore my hard drive back to as if i just brought it i dont want to sent to gamestop or microsoft because it is old and that is just a waste of time... Please help someone i am running out of ideas

19. sergiovv

sergiovv Regular member

if you already have slayers disc ...then try to get another modded xbox insert the "slayer's disc in the modded xbox...wait for it to load then unplug the hdd, plug the bad hdd and use the "restore to factory" ...that easy..

take it easy!!