1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to force DMA under Windows XP

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by APVM, Feb 24, 2004.

1. APVM

APVM Member

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

You can accomplish the same thing by just removing the drive in the Device Manager (right click and select Uninstall) and either rebooting or right clicking on any device and selecting Scan for hardware changes. It's a little better general solution since many people don't like editing their registry (and some people probably shouldn't). Plus it's a little faster.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Learn AviSynth The Easy Way: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/avisynth_tutorial.cfm
    Afterdawn Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/
    Afterdawn Rules: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/6346
    Always Read The Small Print[/small]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
  3. APVM

APVM Member

Not really, I tried that but it did't work, I had to do the above registry edit before XP redetect my drive as UDMA 2 instead of PIO 4.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
  4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Fair enough. But it works most of the time and is still a better option to try first.

5. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

ADVM:

I had the same problem you had about 10 days ago. I pulled my hair out trying to find a solution.(Wish these posts were available sooner.) I ended up calling SONY techician (since I have a Sony computer) and they said uninstall the IDE controllers in device manager, restart, and it should work. It didn't work, perhaps like in your case. I talked with another technician later and she instructed me to start computer is SAFE mode, then unistall IDE controllers as well as DVD and CD-ROM devices, then restart. That worked for me.

At any rate, the posts above are 2 good ways to resolve the DMA issue for anybody else who experiences the DMA problem

6. APVM

APVM Member

After switching back to DMA my writer will sometimes detect blank cdr and sometimes not, after digging deeper, I found the reason for XP to switch DMA mode to PIO is because XP encountered CRC error and I digged even deeper and found out one of the cause of CRC error is bad or loose IDE cable, since I was using the same cable for almost 10 years, so I took it out and found a small hole on it, I changed the cable and everything is perfect now. There is another thing I found is that my LG 4040 is UDMA mode 4 capable and if I am going to use DVD-RAM a 80 pin IDE cable (UDMA mode 4) is recommended otherwise I may not be able to get full speed out of DVD-RAM but it is ok to use 40 pin IDE cable (UDMA mode 2) for DVD +/-R/RW