1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Force Windows Install Repair Option?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by NuckNFuts, Feb 5, 2008.

1. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I have a damaged install of XP x64 SP2 on an older P35 based ASUS P5K Deluxe and is on RAID ready AHCI single disc mode.

I want to repair as before on other system but I cant get the repair option even after removing boot config file and Intel RAID drivers. I restart and it allways passes this option. I cant use recovery cause I dont know how I was supposed to set it up beforehand. So my question is, hat can I remove from c partition to make XP x64 SP2 cd prompt for the repair option after I choose install NOT recovery Console

For future refference, anybody have good links on how to utilize and set up for recovery console?

Thankx!

2. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

3. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I haven't used the 64 bit version of Windows, but for the 32 bit you can simply choose to install Windows from the setup screen. When it goes to the next screen, it will see your current install and ask if you want to repair it. Basically, it will install Windows on top of itself. You'll have to install of the Windows Updates again, but all of your programs and files should still be there.

4. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

K, I had a look at the link and tryed the 2 methods of fix to fixboot and fixmbr. Neither worked, it still gets hung almost down to the end of loading drivers in safe mode. I checked, the RAID driver (ostar) is there, and it does this in IDE SATA mode too.

The odd part is, that I can get the "R" for repair after install on another XP x64 SP2 install. And this OS did not show any major signs of damage but did have some issues ("open with" menue was not working right). This was origionally installed as my XP SP1 and upped with CD to SP2. THe one earlier was newer install of Slippstreamed XP x64 SP2 origionally to an ASUS P5W-DH with saem ICH7R and had no prob before transfering drives.

Even after removing the boot file it got repaired during attemp to repair. What can I remove from root directory of this XP SP2 install to force a repair option (nOT Recovery option)?

5. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I don't know that removing anything will help. Usually the installer simply looks to see if there are existing Windows system files on the drive and if it finds them, it will ask if you want to repair instead of doing a fresh install. This may be an issue with XP 64 bit. I'll dig up my 64 bit disc and test it in a virtual machine. I'll test it with both SP1 and SP2 to see if there's a difference.

6. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

K, thankx, but as I mententioned, it does check and ask on one OS, in fact one that didn't really even need repair to load, just for refreshness. And this was with 2 CDs', one XP x64 SP1 and the other with XP x64 SP2 slipstreamed from the 1st CD.

It is only when I try to load the damaged OS that I wont get the "One or more" might be dameaged message, "Windows can try to repair".

The last known issue was a bad graphics seting with an old nVidia 6800 Ultra with multi monitor and 2nd output to HDTV via Component Cideo. It failed and never booted since. It may not have even been that cause thiswas also a 2nd test drive and OS install to test overclocks, and it did crash a few time.

EDIT: since I have a working XP X64 SP2 on the same system, what can I or should I copy from this C drive root directory or elsewhere to put into the non loading drive?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  7. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I did a fresh install of Windows XP 64 bit and then tried doing a reinstall. It works fine, and gives me the option to do a repair. Thus, we can remove the 64 bit version as being the problem.

It sounds like the installer isn't seeing the current version of Windows. When you're doing the install, do you press F6 to install the RAID drivers? If so, it will prompt you to insert a floppy disc to install the drivers.

Secondly, when you say you removed the "boot config file"; you're not talking about the boot.ini file are you? This file is required for the OS to recognize which operating systems are on the drive and which partition they're located on.

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Yes, of corse I need the f6 (I am on a single disc RAID ready in AHCI mode) That was never the problem. And yes, I did remove the boot.inf in the C root directory in hopes of prompting for XP to not be able to boot. Yet it still fails to prompt for the "R" for repair option (NOT Recovery "R" repair section). with this removed it now goes directly to Windows boot menue (F8) so I know it cant boot but if I boot to CD, , F6, enter to install, F8 to agree to license, and where I used to get the "R" option if it couldnt boot, I just get the regular install options.

So you say that even after a fresh new install, that XP searches and determines that it is damaged and gives you the repair option? What would cause that so soon?

So when XP says it searching your system to find what OS and versions are on there, where is it looking and what can I do to make it see this install. It isn't the CD I use cause it prompts for other installs on other hard drives. So I can neorrow it down to the install as it is the same with the other 2 XP x64 CDs' I tested of 1 origional and 1nd SP1.

9. silk42

silk42 Regular member

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. However, it doesn't search and determine that it's damaged. It simply states "If one of the following Windows installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it." I'll delete the boot.ini file and see if I get the same error that you're getting when I try to do an install. I'll report back with the results.

10. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I renamed my boot.ini to boot.old and ran the install discs. Sure enough, it didn't prompt me to do the repair. This appears to be your problem. You'll need a working boot.ini file at the root of the c:\ drive (assuming your OS is installed in c:\). Here's an example of my boot.ini.

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Yours should be similar, but may vary slightly. Once that file is there, try the installation and see if you're prompted for a repair.

11. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

K, I did exactly that, took a know and working boot inf from another XP x64 configured to this machine and replaced it with the "thought to be bad" one and still the same no boot or n repair option.

What gives? I know by this point (over 1 week) It is gonna' be easier to recover data/files and folders and reload, but I was really hoping to beat this challange. I nerver had this bad a boot experience. And the odd part is, nothing other then a multi display to HDTVwas changed since the last time it booted on other mobo.

To recap on histery of this HDD and install, XP x64 SP2 (slistreaed from an XP x64 SP1 CD) to a WD Raptor, 74G @ 10K rpm in SATA RAID ready mode. It was origionaly installed to an ASUS P5K Deluse (P35 chipset) and then moved for testng to an Abit AW9D MAX on !975X and then finnaly to ASUS MAXIMUS FORULA SE of X38 where it remained for several months till recently failing after wrog multi display configuration and when restarted it had a blur or splatter of colors all accross the screan and I had to use the HDTV to see anything and restart, at wich then it never booted since. Not having time to mess with, I left it alone since it was just a test bed and continued to my main OS and left it for several weeks before trying to repair to any mobo. I first of corse I tryed on the X38 and then then an ASUS P5WD2 !955X now (where I need and want to leave it). Each move from one chipset and RAID controller went fine and only needing to update the chipset INF and Intel iostar RAID boot.

12. SILONER

SILONER Member

i also have a problem installing windows xp home edition... this is the essage it gives me after i press enter...

setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer
    make sure any HD drives are powered on and properly connected to your coputer, and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct. this may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program
    setup cannot continue. to quit press f3

13. silk42

silk42 Regular member

Is your hard drive connected to a RAID controller? If so, you'll need to press F6 during the install and load the RAID drivers. If you aren't using a RAID controller, then make sure your hard drive is being seen in the BIOS. If it's not, then there's something wrong with the drive or the connection to the drive and motherboard.

14. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

If installing to the Intel ICHxR, you do need the f6 floppy (as mentioned) for an Inel AHCI/RAID Controller, but you don not have to set up and or use as RAID. You simply do the same as if you were, use the RIAD driver but do nothing after, just continue to install Windows. The Matrix Storage Manager (installed after set up) is only for continuing to allow configuration of RAID in Windows. Leave it out and you get full AHCI support. Install it and you still get full AHCI but are RAID ready at any time to migrate from single disc to multi disc RAID.

For all other 3dr party AHCI/RAID controllers, you do need the f6 floppy, ie; Promise, Sis, mVidia and so on (not sure about J-Micron). But to be used as AHCI, non RAID, that choice needs to be made at driver install for either SATA or RAID configuration, becaues you cannot switch back n forth like with Intel RAID.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  15. SILONER

SILONER Member

how can i c what i got??? im using a hp pavilion dv1000

16. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

My bad, I missed that earlier. It's a notebook and an Intel !855GM at that so no SATA I believe (correct me if I'm wrong).

I would test the EIDE 4200RPM HDD on an adapter on a desktop to see if it is detected. Then and or test a full size EIDE HDD on adapter to see if DV-1000 detects it as well.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  17. SILONER

SILONER Member

sorry if im asking a dumb question but i dont really get into the computers that much, maybe i should start doin that but where can i get what you just said?

18. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

These EIDE 44to40 pin (2.5" to 3.5") adapters are easily available at many PC supply stores and Fry's Electronics in my area. NewEg and other fine online PC components will have them too. To at least brouse the HDD on a desktop PC, you can use a EIDE to USB adapter but most older notebooks may not boot from this on the otherside like most decktops can.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008