1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get best results on copying my Planet Earth DVD set.

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by uncleb, Dec 10, 2007.

1. uncleb

uncleb Guest

I want to copy my Planet Earth DVD’s and get the best results. I don’t care about the peripherals, I just want to be able to bring up a menu with the 3 titles on each disk & be able to choose which one I want to view. Also what is the best software to use on this and other purchased DVD’s to insure the best results. Do I use different software to put it on the Hard Drive and then Shrink it? I’ve noticed a lot of you recommend DVD Shrink & DVD Decrypter, are these pretty reliable and if so is there instructions for Dummies (not that I’m a Dummy, but for the sake of argument let’s say I am) that will tell me all I need to know to get great results.
    Thanks
    Uncle Bob

2. byngo

byngo Regular member

There is plenty of info in the guides on this site, but,
    To give you a short answer based on your requirement and what i would do, especially since you seem to focus on retaining quality :-
    I would rip the whole disc to your HDD using DVD Decrypter in ISO read mode.
    This will create an exact copy of the disc with a .iso file and a .mds file as an ouput.
    Use imgburn to burn the .mds file to a dual layer (+R) Verbatim disk.

Summary of software:
    DVD Decrypter (no longer updated)
    IMGburn (created by the DVDDecrypter developer for burning but does not RIP)
    Summary of hardware:-
    Dual layer capable DVD R/W Drive.
    +R Dual layer blank disks.

Overaul, the above is a very simple method to create a back-up of those disks you own.
    It is of course possible to rip them in another file format, shrink and / or extract content you don't want and burn to a single layer disk or even create your own menu's but you need to get your reading glasses on and be prepared to get it wrong a few times.

3. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Byngo has good advice. If you burn the discs to +R DLs (Verbatim) with ImgBurn you'll get the disc without any compression-best picture. Using any other program, will compress the disc, and the "Planet Earth" series deserves a DL disc-it's that good.