1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get the best image quality?

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by Cupillac, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Cupillac

Cupillac Member

I have a 30inch lcd samsung HDTV that is connected to my xbox360 through componet cables.

What is the best way to view my movies? I also copy my originals and watch them.

Would the HD-DVD player for the xbox360 be a good start?

Thanks

2. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

cupillac

Since I don't have a 360 X Box, I assume it can play back a DVD Movie. If so then you should be able to play your backups thru that XBox player. If that capabilty doesn't exist then get an upconverting capable DVD player and connect it to your HD Sammy with HDMI cable.

3. b18bek9

b18bek9 Regular member

i have a vga cable for my xbox 360 to my 37" LCD and since its a digital connection it should upconvert ur dvd's...also a hd-dvd player is good for hd dvd's but for normal dvd's u dont need the hd dvd drive...i'd buy a stand alone hd player before buyin the xbox 360 hd player

4. airball

airball Regular member

If your TV has an HDMI connection then I would start there. Component cables deliver a great picture however HDMI allows you to stay digital from source to display without any conversion to analog. My next recommendation would be to pick up Avia or Video Essentials for some calibrating. Almost all displays are screwed up, for lack of a better word, when they come out of the box. Usually some simple calibrations can make a world of difference. Lastly I am pretty sure that the Xbox will upconvert your SD DVD's so that shouldn't be a problem.

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Ok. No the Original 360 doesn't up-convert DVDs via any connection except VGA. For that reason the HD-DVD add-on won't make much difference as it uses the 360 video connections and video processors.

VGA is not a digital connection but it will allow you to up-convert your DVDs up to 720p/1080i (I think 1080p as well).

The 360 Elite can up-convert DVDs over its HDMI connection because HDMI is all digital and supports Copy Protection (or HDCP).

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2007