1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to hav XBMC automatically load up as my dashboard

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by iknowuc, Nov 17, 2007.

1. slugfuk

slugfuk Guest

Theres some useful info here http://www.productwiki.com/microsof...-xbox-to-xbox-media-center-in-30-minutes.html

But I don't use xbmc as a main dash because I have been forced to fix WAAAAAAYYYYY too many error 16 and 21 boxes (over 100) because of a simple thing like a skin change to recommend it.. it's seriously unstable on pal boxes. A simple thing like hitting a wrong button in a game live settings can screw it up.

2. iknowuc

iknowuc Guest

wow sum people dont kno how 2 wait well can my problem be helped??

3. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Ok, can you bring me up to date on exactly where you are with your problem?

What is it doing?

4. iknowuc

iknowuc Guest

i tried hotswapping and rebuilding but both didnt work when i tried to rebuild when i was at the number menu for what action to do i kept pressing 1 nd it said invalid input and when i hotswapped the xplorer didnt find the hdd after i scaned for changes in device manager and installed the driver for the hdd

5. iknowuc

iknowuc Guest

any help chunkhead

6. philzone

philzone Regular member

In case any one was wondering, the xbmcwiki does
    describe xbmc as dashboard very well...

Option 1 - Using the Team XBMC Shortcut.xbe (Recommended)

Team XBMC recently developed their own Shortcut tool. It comes in 2 “flavours”:

* OpenXDK (source and pre-compiled binary available in SVN)
    * MS XDK (only source available in SVN)

Download link to pre-compiled OpenXDK: Shortcut XBE.

Both versions work in the same manner:

1. Find out the filename of your current dashboard (i.e C:\evoxdash.xbe for the Evox dashboard): That is the dashboard your Xbox is booting.
    2. Rename your current dashboard to an alternate bootable name. This will be used as a fallback if execution of the new shortcut fails. Consult the table below, or www.xbox-scene.com for details on your dash.
    3. Download the XBMC Shortcut XBE from the link above and rename it to whatever the dash was named (usually evoxdash.xbe)
    4. Upload the renamed Shortcut XBE (i.e. evoxdash.xbe) to where the old dash was (Usually the root of the C: drive). The Shortcut XBE is now effectively your dashboard(!)
    5. Install XBMC as a regular application to somewhere on E: or F: (for example, E:\Apps\XBMC) (Instructions on how to install XBMC can be found under Installing XBMC as an Application)
    6. Create a text file on your computer with the same name as your renamed Shortcut XBE, except with the extension .cfg instead of .xbe (i.e. evoxdash.cfg) and put the path to the installed XBMC\default.xbe inside it (eg. E:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe)
    7. Upload the text file you just created to the same place you uploaded ShortcutXBE to in step 4. You should now have two files in your boot dash location. If your previous dashboard was Evox, These files will be named evoxdash.xbe and evoxdash.cfg. The .xbe is the shortcut XBE you just uploaded, the .cfg is the text file containing a path to XBMCs default.xbe
    8. Reboot

Ok then... this works. Guarenteed.
    download thier shortcut.xbe

rename it whatever your dashboard is named
    mine is E:/dashboard/evoxdash.xbe
    rename evoxdash.xbe to evoxdash.xbe.bak
    then rename the shortcut.xbe you downloaded(think its called default.xbe) to evoxdash.xbe
    HAVE TO RENAME IT EXACTLY THE SAME AS YOUR CURRENT DASHDOARD
    evoxdash.xbe is only an example. It is my dashboard.
    next, make a new text document(notepad) and name it exoxdash.cfg(in my case)
    in it, simply the path to default.xbe in XBMC folder
    ex. F:\apps\XBMC\default.xbe
    put the 2 files in the folder with your old dashboard.(that has been
    renamed evoxdash.xbe.bak)my example was E:\dashboard\evoxdash.xbe
    Reboot the machine, and your good to go.

7. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

You must be doing something wrong!

Ensure that you are inducing the Error 12 whilst hotswapping. I have also added new tips to the Hotswap process, try those too!

8. iknowuc

iknowuc Guest

chunkhead i think the problem is that the computer doesnt think that the hdd is a fatx because its reading it but when i try using xplorer360 of fat-xplorer it doesnt detect and i even downloaded the .dll file for it on vista

9. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

It'll most likely be a BIOS issue!

When the computer first starts, press the Pause|Break key, perform the hotswap then, then continue the swap...

10. iknowuc

iknowuc Guest

ok i try that now then