1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to hook up a sony camera to PC with PC having no i.Link conection

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Aragon, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Aragon

Aragon Member

Good Day all,
    I got a Sony DCR-TRV 120 Digital Handycam and want to put my videos onto my PC. My PC, however, does not have a i.Link conection. Is there any way I can do this without using an i.Link cable?

Thanks

2. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

Not sure is the answer ( a few months ago it would have been a definate N but recently there has been the introduction of USB 2 (which is faster than i.link/firewire/IEEE1394)

Either way, you are going to have to install some sort of new card (unless your motherboard has USB 2 built in).

If not, I recommend IEEE1394.

Don't think you can do it with anything less than I have suggested. The transfer rates are very high for video capture.

HomerJ

3. Aragon

Aragon Member

Thanks alot, HomerJ. I will look into that.

4. nkuperw

nkuperw Guest

Hi, i had the same problem and bought a firewire (ieee394) pci card to put into my machine and it worked like a charm. make sure you get a cable as well since not all cards come with a cable

5. obieobied

obieobied Member

I have a Sony DCR-TRV720
    it doesnt have usb 2.0 and i dont think any sony models have usb 2.0.
    So dont waste your time on that.

What i would recommend you to do is buy a USB External IEEE1394 connection. you dont have to install a card, and its very easy to do. you just connect it via your usb or something. but for the best results, you have to buy a IEEE1394 card. i found mine for as little as $35! If you have a Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum card, and it came with the front panel, there is a i.Link connection but i think u would have known.
    and also, you might check if ur video card has analog video capture. in that case you can connect ur camcorder to the card as if it was a TV, and the capture the video without the need for FireWire (aka i.Link or IEEE1394)

6. Surrey

Surrey Member

If you're running an XP machine, I would say plug in a firewire (IEEE 1394) PCI card into your PC. XP will detect and install it automatically. The cable costs more than the card, but its all available on the WEB - Just look !