1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Hotswap with XboxHDM v1.9 (Super Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by chunkhead, Aug 14, 2007.

1. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

It should be named eeprom.bin and in all undercase. EEPROM.BIN will not work

Make sure it's in the eeprom folder when you build the iso and you should be set.

2. ePod111

ePod111 Member

wow that was quick reply lolz ya i might of done the uppercase thing ill give it another go thanks man

3. BillSnow

BillSnow Member

sorry double posted

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  4. BillSnow

BillSnow Member

I'm having issues with xboxhdm itself...

No matter what I do... after I boot from the disc... the main screen comes up normal... i hit 1 and enter... it starts loading... spams all it's crap... and STOPS EVERY TIME after finding an 8 port usb hub....

i don't have any hubs connected... even unplugged all of the usb ports in the computer including keyboard... still it says it found a hub and stops there... it never gets to the next screen where you hit xboxhd or xbrowser.... it never gets there...

any ideas?...

i've unplugged everything i can think of internal and external and still have the damn thing pass bios and just keep hitting the same wall...

5. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

What's the specs of the computer you're using? I use a stoneage p2 that works everytime. Newer computers will have problems running xboxhdm.

If i were you i would try an older computer and see if that helps.

6. dravn8004

dravn8004 Member

i agree with C4RN1 everytime i used my newer computer it wouldnt even recognize the drive. but when i use and old p3 computer it worked without any problems. both computers were even the same brand but the newer one wouldnt work

7. BillSnow

BillSnow Member

i assume you mean the mobo?... the rest shouldn't really matter... it's an asus... uhh trying to remember model... i've had four in the same case lol they keep dieing through the years and replace with whatever's on sale at the time... pretty sure it's the a8r-mvp...

the problem is that any old parts that still worked have been turned into various "gets internet" computers for elderly family... lol... not sure if i still have any more working mobo's around...

edit: thanks for the tip.... took it to a friend's house and used one of his old ones and managed it without issue... :p

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  8. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

[​IMG] awesome, let me know if you need help with anything else.

9. xXDestroyerGRXx

xXDestroyerGRXx Member

So if i do hotswap will i can install xbmc then?

10. juweettog

juweettog Member

Hi there, thank you for your excellent guide !
    Sorry for the book I'm writing here, but I want to be as clear as I can.

I've had my xbox(original/1) and only used it as a mediacenter for well, almost the moment it was released.
    I had it modchipped by someone who knew how to, don't remember what chip it is though.

So few months back my 80gb hd died, wouldn't be recognized on my pc either.
    Swapped in the original xbox hd and modded the c: to launch xbmc from boot.
    The xbox hd was making strange sounds lately.
    I would get some errors sometimes, sometimes not and sometimes xbmc would freeze/lockup.

So now I'm only getting error 16 and it won't do nothing.
    I found your guide and followed it to the letter, I think.
    Burned the cd with the clean files and installed it on another old 8gb drive I found.

1. Now that (new 8gb) hd gives me error 5, means it's unlocked right.
    I backup the original C: and not the gamesave partition, had no clue the eeprom would be there.

2. Appears the original xbox hd isn't totally dead.
    Using this guide, my pc tells me it's locked when I try to reinstall.

3. When I boot the xbox with only the dvd-drive IDE cable disconnected it gives me error 11 and never error 12.

I think I read all posts and links under this guide thread and couldn't find a solution.
    Also tried booting it fwith my original SSX game.
    So any clue what the problem is here ?
    -Maybe my modchip is dead.
    -Maybe I can get the eeprom from the locked xbox hd somehow ?

Thank you in advance !

11. mayday295

mayday295 Member

Had to use pause/break at boot to recognize xbox, but worked like a charm!! thanks so much!

@juweettog I never had error 12, i only got error 11 and it still worked fine!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  12. jeffmcgee

jeffmcgee Member

I cannot get xboxhdm 1.9 to boot from the disc. I have followed instructions explicitly, and am not a dummy to begin with, so I cannot figure out what is wrong. Every time I try to boot from the disc, it just goes to a dos screen and says DR. DOS with an A prompt. Can anyone at all help me with this, I would love to get a bigger HD up and running in my X-Box. Thanks in advance!

13. dalecore

dalecore Regular member

Ok I was looking for some clarification with my situation and I'm sure I have an idea but I need to make sure. My case is different most people are using this in order to resolve the error 16. I wanted to use the hotswap to upgrade the HDD.

I followed the instructions adding chunks clean 5990 to the C and adding the two folders to the E then creating an ISO.

I boot up the CD at this point I swapped the drives connecting the ide of new hdd to the pc. I left the DVD ide on the xbox and the power cable was still intact to the HDD.

I booted up the xboxhdm1.9 from the cd and then turned on the xbox. Instead of getting error 12 I got 7. I assume I received this error because the HDD is an unlocked so no real concern there. I then started running the xboxhd and it did detect the drive so I followed the steps and it looked like it came out successful.

I plugged out the ide from the pc hooked back up the ide from the xbox and started up the xbox and I believe I got error 4 or 5.

So my guess is that this process is only to unlock a locked hdd and not to lock and upgrade to a new hdd. I was hoping it would have worked would have made this process so easier.

Please let me know if this process was in fact really possible or not.

My next option is going to be to do a clone of the original HDD and upgrade that way. Seems simple enough.

14. xboxer1

xboxer1 Member

xbox was stuck in the live update loop. this guide didn't work for me until i tried leaving the dvd ide cable plugged in and just did the hotswap after the live update dialog box comes up. otherwise the hd wouldn't unlock. also for some reason my pc keyboard would stop working after any long pause with the xboxhd bootup cd. was able to just type ahead several yes-RETURNs before it would fail.

15. ste2425

ste2425 Member

Managed to unlock my xbox hdd easy just booted it up without dvd power or ide connected. Booted up xboxhdm fine pressed option 1 then there would be rolling text down the screen as its loading then it stops saying insert the linux disk. My rig is quite new with only one IDE socket im using a sata dvd drive. Ive tried using and Ide dvd drive as slave on that cable then plug the xbox hdd into the master but it still throws up the same error. any ideas?

Sorry to bring up an old thead by the way.
    thanks guys

16. ste2425

ste2425 Member

just incase anyone else had issue with explorer 360 not importing file into UDATA like it was with me you have to right click inside UDATA create a folder and name it accordingly then import each file seperatly including any folders they may be in, naming them accordingly.

17. xXDestroyerGRXx

xXDestroyerGRXx Member

Can put the iso in a usb stick and then boot from it?

18. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

nope.. needs to be cd.. something to do with ide channel allocations

unless you want to waste a year of your life trying to install it to a stick pendrive linux style.. when it still won't see the ide channels because it relies on running through them to identify the hotswapped drive. 8 year old tools work in 8 year old ways.. hdm hasn't been updated since 2003.

19. boom10ful

boom10ful Member

Hello, sorry if you all get asked a lot, but will this fix the blinking red and green lights? My xbox flashes the red and green lights and doesn't give me an error code.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  20. boom10ful

boom10ful Member

Hello, sorry if you all get asked a lot, but will this fix the christmas lights? My xbox flashes the red and green lights and doesn't give me an error code.