1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Hotswap with XboxHDM v1.9 (Super Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by chunkhead, Aug 14, 2007.

1. krodami

krodami Member

Chuckhead you are my savior, i did a hotswap on my brick xbox and now it works flawlessly! Thanks!

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

You're quite welcome my friend, glad it worked out for you!

:)

3. domyue

domyue Member

Hi,

Thanks for this tutorial, it was really useful but I didnt manage to get it working.

I deleted my whole xbox HD after a failed mod (somehow) and I've been getting certain errors...the latest one is error 16. Now I've tried to fix it using your method and the process runs completely fine (hotswapped and run the XboxHDM til the end). But I've still got the error 16.

I've used the backup files from "mhackxbox.rar" as my original (clean) xbox files. I assumed they were right as they added up to 189,600 KB which was the same size you had in your screenshot.

This error I've been having for the past couple of months now and its really driving me up the wall!! Could you please help me with this thing??

Thanks so much!

4. domyue

domyue Member

Oh btw, to add to my above message - I don't have an eeprom. I backed one up but then consequently deleted it by wiping HDs.

5. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I've said before, I can't vouch for other dash builds, the one in my software page is the one I use personally and I know it works!

Try that, it's 87MB download, but worth it's weight in gold!

6. ArmyAndy

ArmyAndy Member

Hey chunkhead.

My issue is as follows.

When i enter the hdd into my pc - the bios reports Primary hdd status = bad, i continue anyway.

I get into xboxhdm and select option1.

It gets bout half way down, says it cannot find an xbox partition, and then makes multiple read errors(presumably cos it cannot find the xbox partition.)

I dont know what condition the drive is in, but i think its ok...

Its an xbox v1.0 and this is my first attempt at softmodding. When normal xbox is assembled it gets error 16 and nothing but error 16 and thus need to restore the original dash hence why I am trying to use xboxhdm.

Please give me some advice.

Andy

7. Fuse80A

Fuse80A Member

I had old 8gb HD in non-modchipped-xbox and it had xbmc installed as dash
    My goal was just to change the HD to bigger one.
    Copied files to PC via ftp, copied C and E to linux folder and made ISO
    Built from scratch and locked the HD

Now whe changed to Xbox it has original dash !wtf?
    How do I get the xbmc or even some kind of ftp server to xbox?
    tried to burn evolutionx to cd, but it fails to start.

8. varnull

varnull Guest

Hmmm.. that's a good one.. Without knowing a little more it's hard to tell what has happened..

It could be a tsop flashed box rather than a softmod.

9. rab3

rab3 Guest

OK im new at this but, i have a complete backup of what was on my softmodded stock hard drive on my pc(via ftp transfer), however i was being retarded and i unlocked my hard drive (with configmaj) and the i lost power to my house(snow storm) now i have error 6. k so i was lookin and from what i gathered i can make a new hdd from scratch with hddmker and i think that if i hook the new 60gb (lockable and is locked currenty)hdd up to my pc, using "find new hardware" i can simply transfer the all of my old files into the "c" and "e" folders of the new files before i make the disk and hotswap the new hdd. i think. am i right and can u help me?OK im new at this but, i have a complete backup of what was on my softmodded stock hard drive on my pc(via ftp transfer), however i was being retarded and i unlocked my hard drive (with configmaj) and the i lost power to my house(snow storm) now i have error 6. k so i was lookin and from what i gathered i can make a new hdd from scratch with hddmker and i think that if i hook the new 60gb (lockable and is locked currenty)hdd up to my pc, using "find new hardware" i can simply transfer the all of my old files into the "c" and "e" folders of the new files before i make the disk and hotswap the new hdd. i think. am i right and can u help me?[b/]

10. rab3

rab3 Guest

sry didnt mean to post that twice

11. Backward

Backward Member

Hey can someone help me with this? I have an un-modded xbox that i just want to get the hdd out of to use on my pc but i need to unlock it. What exactly does this tutorial do? I understand the tutorial and could do it, but i dont know what it does exactly. Does it just restore your xbox to it's original state when it was bought? Like i want to unlock it but dont i need the eeprom.bin? And i dont know how to get it :S I think i need to install like evox to make a backup of it right?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  12. shBlaze

shBlaze Member

Let me start by saying I love the format of this tutorial. Very easy to understand and straight forward.

Now i've done this before to restore my first Xbox back and install a 40 GB HDD. It was a different error though I believe. I've got error 16 on this Xbox and have tried hotswapping with both Error 12 and Error 16. Most of my trials have been with Error 12 since it's stated that it is for sure unlocked. I've got this error both times i've done this. I've fixed the issue before so i'm certain it's something i'm doing wrong. I've even tried writing a new disc to make sure I wasn't creating it wrong. The only thing I didn't do the first time was make empty UDATA and TDATA folders. I now have a copy like that also with an empty F Folder aswell.

I get all the way to the point where I type 'XboxHd' and get the error "Linux CD not Found! Insert it and try again" That doesn't really make since because I needed the linux cd inserted to get this far in the first place. I'm assuming the HDD is still locked. So I tried the 'Pause/Break' method before the Bios does anything, did the hotswap and continued and got the same error again. I went ahead and took pictures of my setup and error for your convience. I really need to get this done ASAP.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj77/blazes_photos/xbox/xboxhdm-2.jpg ~ This was my first attempt with error 16. I assumed that I didn't swap fast enough and the drive was either not detected or locked. I did get past this with 16 but i've been doing everything with Error 12 now and don't get that anymore.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj77/blazes_photos/xbox/xboxhdm-3.jpg ~ This is the farthest i've got where I type 'xboxhd' Like I said before i've had this problem before when I fixed my first Xbox.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj77/blazes_photos/xbox/xboxhdm-4in.jpg ~ Picutre of my setup zoomed in so you can get a decent view.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj77/blazes_photos/xbox/xboxhdm-4out.jpg ~ Zoomed out version of the previous to give an example of my setup.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj77/blazes_photos/xbox/xboxhdm-1.jpg ~ A picure of error 12. Just kinda threw it in there.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also:
    When I used the 'Pause/break' method I had to press 'Ctrl+Alt+Delete' to get the computer to continue.

When I boot the Xbox normally I no longer see the 'Microsoft' write at the bottom of the screen like I did before I even started doing this
    ~ BLAZE

13. ltrambo85

ltrambo85 Member

Hi ok here is my deal I have modded several xboxs and hot swapped many time as well. But i have came across a new problem. I have a softmodded regular 8gb box, I can't find the eeprom on it anywhere it works fine but Im going to through a 320gb in it for a friend. So I tried the hotswap and i just keep getting disabled featured in xboxhdm. I also tried just hotswapping the 320 in there blank and everything wrote to it fine but obviously now I cant lock it because I cant ftp it. So what should I do?

14. Backward

Backward Member

I used xboxhdm fine when the HDD was unlocked but, I always got an error when I tried to hotswap a locked HDD. So what I found that worked for me was to use UnlockX (found on Xbins) I could leave the locked or unlocked HDD hooked to my primary slave and never had to hotswap. But this is if you already have the hdd key. Not the eeprom.bin I mean the whole 40 character key.

15. ltrambo85

ltrambo85 Member

ok Im lost

16. jayo83

jayo83 Member

im wondering how long it takes to write the files to the xbox hard drive once i keep pressing yes when starting an xbox hard drive from scratch,i typed y instead of yes and pressed enter,i did this about 5 times then realised what i had been doing and typed yes and pressed enter then my screen displays the letter y all the way down my screen from top to bottom,its been like that for about 30 mins now but theres no percentage bar to indicate how long it will take or to tell me if its even working propperly.
    if its not working i can restart the procidure.

17. jayo83

jayo83 Member

ok after waiting about 1 hour the screen still shows the letter y from top to bottom so i gave up for the night.
    next night i set it all up again and started the procidure,the first time i got a locked hard drive error, even though the xbox was in error 12 so i restarted and this time got it to work 100%.
    i now have a working factory xbox instead of a black brick that shows error 21.
    thank you for this VERY helpfull tutorial and all files needed.
    also thanks for the comments posted about it,i tryed this method of fixing xbox hard drive about 4 times with no luck and always kept checking the comments to see what i might have mist.
    now im going to look in to"how to soft mod my newley fixed xbox".

18. crooke89

crooke89 Member

hey when i try to do da hotswap
    it says cannot acces hard drive (Xbox Hard drive) its says that is locked how do i get it to be unlocked

19. jgdrag

jgdrag Guest

I believe you insert yes every time except the last time for xboxhdm. It takes a long time, escpecially with a new bigger drive. Hours sometimes depending on hdd size

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2008
  20. jgdrag

jgdrag Guest

Xboxhdm to lock and unlock. You can get it here

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/557450

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2008