1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to improve Convertx speed

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Wyattspop, May 18, 2012.

1. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Hi Guys,
    So I'm backing up some DVD's of my kid's TV shows as he scratches them to bits and I use a paid version of ConvertXtoDVD which I've used often for a couple of years. I do this on a Vista HP G60 Lappie, dual core 2.1 Ghz 32 bit with 3 GB RAM (all stock). It normally takes me around 2 hours to decrypt a file say 700 MB of 2 hours worth of episodes. I got my wife a new, rather pedestrian HP with Win 7 4GB 64 bit 2.8 Ghz and I just decrypted a TV show for the first time and a 2GB file took 9 minutes!!! While I understand her desktop is a bit more powerful, and the lappie I do my 2 hour decrypts on has tons more stuff on it (the C drive has 235 GB used with only 50 GB free) should it really take 12 times longer to do a video file that's only a third of the size (I did a 700mb in 2 hours to her 2GB file in 10 min!) Am I doing something wrong on my lappie? Would basic mainenance like more frequent defrags or a disc clean improve this dramatically or perhaps if I pulled some of the 250 gigs of data off the lappie and backed it up to an external improve this very much? I can't believe it's the difference in PC's, I know 2.1 ghz and 2.8 ghz have some impact, maybe even a Win 7 versus this Vista add to it, but not by 250%. Suggestions if you please...Thanks guys

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Can't expect much performance from a 32bit laptop which more than likely uses low end parts assuming the laptop can even use hardware acceleration & whether the graph card is up to scratch,as far as i can tell your only option is using the settings of the conversion program & increase from normal to high which will mean you won't be able to use the lappy for anything else while it's running until it's finished,quite frankly i wouldn't waste my time with it use the desktop or get another laptop & make it a higher end model that meets your needs

unsubbed

3. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Ahhhsoooo

4. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Yahtzee! You are correct Sir. Didn't dawn on me that running this task would weigh down the lappie...until I ran the same task on my Win 7 64 after reading your reply, the difference was jaw-dropping! I ripped a 2 gig vid file in 9 minutes flat, 9 minutes! It takes me 2 hours to do just 700 mb's on the lappie. Break that down and it means I can probably rip 700 mb's in just 3 min 15 seconds. I get the power difference but 2 hours versus 3:15 is too vast, I must need to clean up the lappie quite a bit. I'm assuming a disc clean, defrag, pulling 100 gigs or so off the lappie and backing it up to allow it to run at least at a respectable speed. If you have any suggestions how else I might get my lappie back to one I can utlilize again, at least "normally", I'd be most grateful. Perhaps "compress drive to save disc space" option. Always enjoyed your posts Scorp, so thanks again..

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

The problem isn't space,defrag or anything else that you think you can do to speed it up it ain't gonna happen,it simply comes down to limitation of the hardware no amount of defrag or removal of whatever software can make up for it

6. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Thank you. I have 3 PC's and 2 are new Win 7's so I'll just get used to using the desktops for my program intensive stuff like ripping vids etc, I appreciate your saving me the wasted time trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. (-;/
    Peace Scorp