1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to install a DVD burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mbrownab, Dec 25, 2004.

1. mbrownab

mbrownab Guest

Hi , If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated!!
    I just got a dvd burner for christmas and I cant seem to get it installed. I have a cd burner can that be the master and the dvd writer be the second,, you know what I mean. For the IDE cable, there is no available slot on my motherboard, could someone please give me a walk-throgh of this whole installation process.. Thanx abunch!! :)

2. mbrownab

mbrownab Guest

or as my question above, can I just plug out my cd burner and plug my dvd burner in with the same cables?? or do I have to uninstall the driver or what.

3. phaserule

phaserule Guest

If you only have one optical device (cd burner) and the dvd writer is you second optical device it can be just as you described it. Either one can be master or slave. You have to make sure of two things with the hookups. The jumpers on back of the drives have to be set so one is master and one is slave (the jumper setting can be found in with your optical device paperwork) and that the ide cable matches the jumper settings. When you turn you computer back on it will tell you that it has found new equipment and will ask you (if you have windows)if you have an installation disk. Put the installation disk in, follow directions and you should be good to go. Personally after I got it going I would go to the manufactures web site and check for firmware/driver updates. And windows or whatever you operating system is might have a driver update also.