1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***** HOW TO INSTALL MOBILE PHONE TOOLS*****

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by Gem20, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Jinzo

Jinzo Member

nice, maybe I can put some new life into my V551.

2. wihluta

wihluta Member

hello,
    can someone please help me???? Ive installed mpt, p2k and mz mobile is detected and everything. (V220) but I can not download pics from my mobile to my pc. if I try to access the mobile side of the multimediastudio it says:
    CoCreateInstance of IID_IXMLDOMDocument failed

what can I do???
    Thx

3. NWD

NWD Member

I dont wanna beat a dead horse here, but i'm having a huge problem getting mpt to work. More specifically, the Multimedia itself. I have a Motorola V188, and everything seems to be ok concerning connection, but when i click and go to the multimedia portion of MPT the systray icon goes from green to gray, and upon hovering over it, it says "modem Manager disabled", and won't allow me to do connect with my phone thru multimedia. I then close it, and the phone's icon changes back to green with a strong signal. I have installed all of the MPT updates, and in fact the very first time i used MPT it worked. Now it's no such luck. All I wanna do is add some custom wallpapers, and it's killin' me! If anyone can help or send me to a helpful link it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much.

4. mixx1120

mixx1120 Member

OK im having a problem installing the first part. AFter i click install during the installation a box comes out saying" Please insert the disk with the data file data/aboutn.ini." What should i do? help!

5. xpl0sive

xpl0sive Member

hey there... hopefully this topic isnt dead yet since its the most helpful thing i've found but my phone still doesnt connect... im pretty much stuck at the first step when the computer is suppposed to recognize the device... it is not the case, it simply says unknown device and then it says that it has malfunctioned and that i should unplug it and try again.... so then i go and try to add the motorola USB modem myself... which works half the time... and then i do the whole mPT procedure and when i first start it and it tries to detect my phone, nothing ever happens... and when i try to do it manually by switching the modems in the general setup, it simply doesnt work... it tries to query the modem, i.e the phone, and it just times out... please help!

6. Gem20

Gem20 Regular member

It sounds as though your drivers are the problem. Are you sure that you have downloaded the right set for your operating system?

And did you try the method that is in the instructions? It is after no. 9 and tells you what to do if your phone and computer won't initialise. It doesn't work for everyone but it did for me.

Also try setting it up in different COM Ports (USBs) if it fails to connect. Mine works really well in one particular port but not so well in others.
    There is a difference between your front COM ports and your back ports. One is connected directly and the other indirectly, not sure which way round it is though. The one that is directly connected is more likely to connect your phone and computer correctly.

GOOD LUCK!

7. xpl0sive

xpl0sive Member

well when i set it up as a modem, it only gives me COM1.... so i guess thats the only 1 i can use, even thought i got 2 USBs in the front and 2 in the back... what im confused about is why it doesnt recognize my phone at all... it says its an unkown device and it manfunctiones

8. TKBrown

TKBrown Member

OK, I have installed this software 4 times now.

Saturday, I loaded the mmpt_1.23c_EN.zip and just the mobilePhoneTools_2.216 update on to my Win2000 machine. I plugged in my new V188. Of course it did not know what it was. I told the software it was a V180, and lo and behold I could upload and download from the phone.

My wife asked me to play with her V180 and see if I could take the ringtones she had purchased off of it. After I connected her phone, I could not get mine to work again. So, I went through live update and upgraded it all the way to 3.28 or whichever is the latest version. Checked it again...nothing.

Unloaded all the software, reloaded it, and nothing. The phone would never initialize. Giving up on this, I uninstalled everything and moved to a laptop computer running XP. Again, I installed the first 2 pieces of software and upgraded from there. It still cannot recognize the V188. I can select it from the list manually, but it will not connect. Just to try and see if maybe my cable was bad, I made a new profile and plugged in the V180. It went through the set-up, and worked perfectly. Unplugged it and put the V188 back on it - it won't connect.

Sounds like a driver issue. I downloaded the p2k drivers, but these are old...2004? The V188 is a new phone(?), aren't there newer drivers somewhere? I did try the other suggestions in this thread, but I can't get anything to work. On the laptop, I only have one USB port, so trying another port will not work.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  9. Gem20

Gem20 Regular member

I'm not sure if there are any newer drivers avaiable but there are a few others that you can try.

Go to
    [bold]http://www.free.cz/motorola[/bold]
    and try these others drivers:
    Motorola_USB_-Modem_..> 30-Jan-2004 16:33 1.2M
    Motorola_USB_Modem_D..> 29-Jun-2004 18:22 1.2M
    P2K_driver_2.3.zip 29-Jun-2004 18:19 43K

They may not work. But you can try them.

10. Gem20

Gem20 Regular member

xpLOsive,

If you have 4 USB ports on your pc then they should all be listed. Even if they have something connected to them, they should still be listed.
    If it is a laptop, the modem will be connecte to one of the ports, and by the way, there are more COM ports than there are USB ports.
    Just in case you were getting confused.

11. xpl0sive

xpl0sive Member

yeah but when i tried to connect it to a laptop, and ran the new modem configuration, it didnt give me any com ports to use... but on my pc, my problem is that it works for the first couple of seronds, saying that it has detected a new device, but then it plays a sound as in i have disconnected it... thats my problem as of now

12. P1800

P1800 Member

I did read this and it's fantastic stuff. Being so new I'm not sure where to find or alter the band, could you direct me? Thanks so much for this.

13. xpl0sive

xpl0sive Member

also, i have another problem... even if my computer does recognize it as an unknown device and i try to instal drivers for it, when i point it to the p2k or mPT supplied drivers, it says that they dont contain information about my hardware.... any ideas?

14. jounin

jounin Member

I'm having trouble with the drivers, as well. Everything else installed fine, but when I go through the Add New Hardware section and select the proper drivers, it says "An error occurred during the installation of the device. The data is invalid." I don't suppose there's an easy solution?

(V220 on Win2K)

Edit: Confirmed that the problem is not with the phone, drivers, or cable, as my roommate had no difficulty installing the drivers on his computer. I found an article on MS's page suggesting I replace driver.cab in safe mode, but no luck with that, either.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  15. TKBrown

TKBrown Member

OK, here's a new twist. My wife's v180 has been having problems with static lately. She took it back to the shop the same day that she bought my v188. They told her that they would be sending a replacement in the mail, and for her to return the old phone when she got it.

It came the other day...when I turned it on, I noticed the start-up splash screen has changed, its now the same as my v188. So, I go to hook-up the new v180, and guess what??? The software no longer finds it, and it will never initialize...just like my v188.

Now, if no one can figure this puppy out, I'm hosed as far putting pics and sounds on either of our phones.

:(

16. muravyev

muravyev Guest

What do you think about following program

http://navigator.ru

SaMIS-navigator allows to define place of mobile device using user database. SaMIS-navigator is program for mobile devices which support java technology. It has history journal and can work as deamon. SaMIS-navigator works at text mode. SaMIS-navigator:
    does not depend from provider (GSM, DUMPS, etc.). It can work with blocked SIM-card and user can construct and edit personal place database. All manipulations free of cash. SaMIS-navigator is tested by Motorola mobile devices at present time.

Thank you.

17. Gem20

Gem20 Regular member

Hi, haven't been around for a few days been busy at work.

Not sure i can say much anyway.

xpl0sive,
    Does the computer not even list the port that the phone is plugged in to at time?

Have you checked your device manager to check that the phone is at least listed?

Go to:
    - Control Panel
    - System
    - Click on Hardware tab along top
    - Device Manager
    - Click on the small cross next to Modems

Check that your phone is listed as a modem.
    It should say something along the lines of Motorola (USB) Modem.
    Mine says Motorola V. and Timeport Modem.

You should also check that it isn't the cable.
    You can do this by,
    1) If the phone/modem is listed in your 'Device Manager' then the cable is obviously working.
    2) You will hear a sound from the speakers when you plug in or unplug the cable. This proves that the cable is connecting to the computer.

Also, did you download the other drivers i recommended? These may help.

P1800,
    Not a clue what you are on about mate!

jounin,
    Can you not let the computer detect the drivers for itself?
    And are you so sure it is not a problem with anything else?
    Test your cable and make sure that your drivers are unzipped/extracted into a seperate folder.

TKBrown,
    I really haven't got a clue.
    Have you made sure that the computer's settings will allow this kind of programme?
    I know your firewall csn sometimes mess it up.
    You could try downloading all the files again then turn off your firewall and install them. See if it makes any difference. It may not do, but who knows.

Hope some of this helps.

Happy reading!!

Gemma

18. jounin

jounin Member

I did let the computer try to detect them, and it does detect those drivers, but at the last step it just gives that error. They are properly unzipped, and I tried re-downloading them, as well as downloading from a different source - still no luck. /:

It definitely isn't the cable - like I said, it worked fine on my roommate's computer with that same cable/phone/driver file. I tried the cable in different USB ports as well, including one that I know for certain works properly with my digital camera.

I don't think the problem is with the drivers (since they work for my roommate and for almost everyone else in this thread); seems to be some other sort of issue with my computer. I've never gotten that error before, and the only match on the MS support page only lists a possible solution for recent XP installs (I tried the solution anyway, no luck). Worst case scenario, I guess I'll pester my roommate into installing the software and seize his computer when he's out.

(Thanks a lot for this thread and for your help, btw. Despite these problems, it's a lot easier to have a nice, centralized source of information rather than hunting between several different forums to figure out what I need.)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  19. TKBrown

TKBrown Member

Gemma,

No firewall on this machine. It does see the modem in the hardware wizard, but when I query the modem it fails. I think they changed something on these new phones.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  20. xpl0sive

xpl0sive Member

sometimes it does appear as one of the USB devices and is listed as an UNKNOWN DEVICE.... when i try to do a driver update, it says that the drivers, that u recomended, do not contain information about my device...