1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to keep FFDShow from launching 30 instances

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by jbsjbs, Jul 10, 2007.

1. jbsjbs

jbsjbs Member

I have FFDShow installed on my machine, I believe it came bundled with either MediaCoder or a K-Lite Codecs pack. I did not install it directly myself. The problem is that whenever I open the photo viewing program I use (CompuPic) any videos in the folder begin playing automatically, and even more bizarrely I get dozens of FFDShow instances and their icons popping up in my system tray.

I've been unable to figure out a way to disable it or stop this behavior, but as it causes my computer to grind to a halt I'm quite eager to fix it. Can anyone tell me how to remove the program from my system? I've read many good things about it and would love to try it again at some point, but something is clearly very wrong with this install and I think I'm better off going from scratch.

Thanks for any help you might offer.

--Jason

P.S. The attached image shows what my system tray looks like when FFDShow launches itself ~20 times.

[​IMG]

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

ffdshow doesn't launch itself. CompuPic would be launching it and if you got rid of ffdshow then you would just get 30 instances of something else. You could use ffdshow's white/black listing options to set it not to load in CompuPic.

As for removing it, when installed by itself there is an uninstaller, in this case I would think it was installed by K-Lite, so you should use its uninstaller.

3. jbsjbs

jbsjbs Member

Thanks for the assistance. The thing is, before FFDShow got installed CompuPic did not run videos automatically, so whatever it was using to decode videos had a different behavior and the first time I ever had trouble with it (in 5 years of using the program) was with FFDShow installed.

I eventually found a configuration tool as part of the K-Lite codec pack that allowed me to disable FFDShow, but I've not been able to find the white list / black list settings you refer to above. Can you tell me where in the FFDShow configuration I'd find it?

--J

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Maybe you didn't have compatible filters installed so it couldn't load the video? As I said ffdshow can't load itself. It is a directshow filter and something must be creating a directshow graph for it to be loaded.

You want the directshow control setting.