1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to make a back up of a pc game

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ozz_yetti, Jan 8, 2007.

1. ozz_yetti

ozz_yetti Member

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me please. I want to copy/back up my pc games but i dont know how .ive read some forums about using blindwrite and deamon tools so i downloaded them and gave it a go. The disk copied ok well so i thought but when i went to play it back it wouldnt even pick up the disk. Can anyone help me please and im going to need simple step by step instructions as im new to this .(the game im trying to copy is act of war)
    Thankyou

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  2. onya

onya Guest

ozz_yetti, Try this, put that backup disk in your player(at this point it won't open/run you said) Double click the "my computer" icon on desktop, there you'll see if your CD is visible, if so, right mouse button click on the CD icon and choose open. Does this work?
    Do you have NERO installed? (usually bundled with the drive)
    Let me know how you go.

Cheers.

3. ozz_yetti

ozz_yetti Member

hi onya thankyou for your reply but yes ive done that and it didnt work all the disk done was spin and yes i do have nero thankyou very much for your help

4. onya

onya Guest

Have you used NERO to do your backups? (sorry to ask a silly question)How did that go?(assuming that you've tried)

Cheers.

5. ozz_yetti

ozz_yetti Member

yeah i did also use nero startsmart but the same thing happened it burns ok but wont play back

6. ireland

ireland Active member

This posted today to me by vegas...on his test of clonecd

I AM NOT A GAMER AND I DO NOT COPY GAMES..THIS IS THE PROGRAMS HE USED....

get anydvd and clonecd..21 day free trial,it will let ye back up ye cd
    anydvd is a must with clonecd

link for anydvd download
    http://static.slysoft.com/SetupAnyDVD.exe

link for clonecd
    http://static.slysoft.com/SetupCloneCD.exe

web site
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

info on anydvd
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

info on clonecd

CloneCD is the perfect tool to make backup copies of your music and data CDs, regardless of copy protection. CloneCD's award-winning user interface allows you to copy almost any CD in just a few mouse clicks.

Since the release of 5.0, CloneCD is not only able to copy CDs but also all DVD formats, such as DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R Dual Layer and DVD-RAM. The movies are copied 1:1 and therefore not modified (compressed). Note that to copy movie DVDs you also require AnyDVD.

CloneCD also works with other formats such as ISO and UDF files and copies CDs/DVDs with the new SafeDisc 3 Copy Protection System. CloneCD allows you to create perfect 1:1 copies of your valuable original compact discs. Should your copy-protected music CD not play in your car audio, the backup created by CloneCD will.

Slysoft combine knowledge and innovation with many years of experience and direct communication with customers to provide constant improvements, therefore making CloneCD the highest quality copying application around

7. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

@-ireland-

1.Anydvd will not work as you should know it is geard towards movie copy protections an not PC game protections. In other words Anydvd will not work and I don't even know why this would be suggested!

2. Clonecd is good at making Safedisc protections and is not strong at making Securom based games or any other type PC game protections. FYI Clonecd has it's own type of emulation for playing clonecd game backups.

Most games now in-days require emulation or some sort of third party applications. Alcohol 120% is best for game backups and has more user options to tweak and more diverse across the board.

Know before you post.

BTW Act of War is SecuROM 5.03.13.0014 protected

8. ireland

ireland Active member

geestar20
    i posted it because a guy tested it on all type of games that he was able to do...
    and i posted anydvd so incase he wants to do dvd movies with clonecd..

also i posted this

I AM NOT A GAMER AND I DO NOT COPY GAMES.........

in fact i do not have time to play with games...i have better things to do....

and i do not pretend i know anything about copying games,so do not step on my toes..as would not do to you..
    also you should Know before you post. your out of line with this statement,Know before you post

9. ozz_yetti

ozz_yetti Member

thankyou geestar 20 so i need to get alcohol 120% do i? and if so can you please explain how i use it as im only new to this stuff thankyou very much

10. ozz_yetti

ozz_yetti Member

ok ive just downloaded alcohol 120% now can anyone please tell me step by step how to use it and what to do to copy pc games and also if its the same for cd and dvd games
    thankyou

11. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I will post back this afternoon to help ozz_yetti

No doubt.

What toes did I step on as you did not have a leg to stand on with your previous post.

How do you figure? Why would you go off of soemones else experience rather than your own, that's why I posted "Know before you post"

Also,

Yup...thats exactly what ozz_yett wanted to do...make a DVD backup. I must have missed the thread title named how to make a back up of a pc game

12. acidspidr

acidspidr Member

Keep the bickering out of the forums please

13. onya

onya Guest

@acidspidr, A comment if I may...

1) You must be bored.
    2) You don't read too many threads where IRELAND has posted(this guy likes to SPICE)LOL
    3) It may seem like fun, but if these shananigans continue, we'll never get any bloody work done...LOL

@ozz_yetti, I don't want to jump the gun before geestar20 has a chance to post.

Just to let you know, we're eager to help also...Don't go away just yet.

Cheers.

14. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

ozz_yetti........

don't know about other programs but.......

CLONECD from the same people that make AnyDvD will
    backup most all PC GAMES 1to1 on the fly if you have
    a DvDRom/DvDBurner or just a burner you can burn to
    HD just like you backup a movie..

it will do 1to1 backups of all protected CDs
    DVD's ect..............

it's a great program as other's will also tell you.

the blindwrite program is much more difficult..........

all the programs "Slysoft" sells are great/have had at
    least 98% sucsess, there all worth every penny they
    cost........................

gday........................

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  15. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

@-onya-

Please jump in and help, BTW Nero will not make a backup of a PC game...unless it has NO protection.

@-freedom2-

Slysoft is vicious when it comes to creating but now in-days 1to1 is not possible now with PC games. 1to1 to me and others means a true 1to1 copy with the help of emulation, which means I can go to a friends house and and install just like an original. Burners that are being created do not hold the precision that older type burners had then (just aint the same anymore).

With Pc games (unlike DVD's) the protection has to written back and not stripped out (like DVD's). As stated earlier Clonecd is great with Safedisc protection but fails with Securom and many other types of protections. More companys are getting wise to the fact that all and everytype of protection is getting beat and beatdown by applications such as (my favorite) Alcohol 120%, Clonecd and Blindwrite and are saving themselves millions of dollars by not adding protection to theier product.

Enough of my jibb jabber and on to ozz_yetti issue,

This is going to be short and sweet so pay attention.

set your datatype to Securom *NEW(4.x/5.x) and read and write at 8x...make sure when you burn your datatype is set as the same as your image is being made and write slow for less read errors.

you are also going to need emualtion enabled so here is a pic of what I am refering to.

[​IMG]

Also this is a great explanation of what emulation is needed for.

Quote from -Nephilim-

When you try to run a protected game it needs to perform a "handshake" of sorts between the disc and the game on your hard drive to verify that the disc is legitimate. If the protection is written back to the disc accurately enough it'll pass the handshake and you have what's known as a "working" copy. If the copy is less than perfect the handshake will fail because the copy protection will detect that there's something fishy with the copy. In that case you can use emulation tools which basically help the disc pass the handshake process.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

16. ozz_yetti

ozz_yetti Member

thankyou again but no luck i changed it to the new securom 4/5/7 but it still didnt work it must be something im doing wrong . im getting really frustraited with this im using version 1.9.6 if that helps.im so sorry to annoy everyone .i think im going to need step by step as in from opening the program to closing it .

17. onya

onya Guest

@geestar20
    Very considerate of you to say but, if you posted bucket fulls of helpful info and I posted similar, knowing that YOU intended to do so beforehand,well... let's just say that I believe in certain protocols.

You've got our undivided attention.

@ozz_yetti

Your not mate! keep it coming. WE'RE ALL LEARNING, EVERY DAY.

@geestar20

I need clarification on this issue also. Not being an avid pc gamer/copier, HOW can we detect out of the three securom settings available,in 120%, that we choose the CORRECT setting? Is there a simple way of checking?(perhaps before we purchase?)Regional differences accepted.

As I could use a little help myself with the questions I've posted above,I'll wait for geestar20 and ireland to post replys. However, if you want/need an endorsement of the software in discussion,then Slysoft products(particular to AnyDVD)and Alcohol 120% are the ones to get. (They will cost you, but damn they are worth it)

Cheers.

18. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

CAn't remember but if they have a DVD version of this game since I have the cd version, but, is this a DVD or CD?

*Edit to add a comment

Anydvd Will NOT help in this situation. Anydvd is designed to strip out copy protections and what we need to do is write the protection back and not strip out.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007