1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to make a small image file ?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by sadboi23, Jan 1, 2005.

1. sadboi23

sadboi23 Member

i notice that if i want to make a backup of a cd, it will take all the actual size of the original cd. the reason i want a backup is i have this game that needs a CD to be played and i need to share 1 cd with my other frens just to play the game together.. i have seen some image file (.mds) as low as 3mb AND when mounted with daemon tools, becomes a 4GB dvd image.. how can i make such image files as low as that ?

2. sadboi23

sadboi23 Member

and also, i have this game "Warcraft 3" and each time i make a copy of it using Alcohol 120%. the copy doesnt seem to work when i try to launch the game with it.. i will get a message stating to put the correct CD.. is there some kind of protection in that original cd ? isnt there anyway i can make it work out ? installing with that copy works fine though..

3. Renas

Renas Member

.mds files are the instructions when to open the .mdf file which is the actual content. There's no compression that allow you to make a very big amount of data such as 4GB into 3MB. If you want an image file to be smaller simply zip it or rar it using WinZip or WinRar. The bigger it is the more % it will zip, so 4GB might go down to like 2.5 or less.

4. sadboi23

sadboi23 Member

oops... i meant the MDF file(the actual content file)
    i have this MDF of a particular game which i got frm a site to serve as a backupcd to run the game.. the installation file is infact in another MDF file in another CD.. what i did was i installed the game with the big(4gb dvd game) mdf file and then i removed the dvd ... then i place the backupcd mdf file(the small[3mb]one) into my harddrive... i used daemon-tool to mount that bacupcd mdf file( of course i used the mds file for this). then later in my virtual dvd-rom shows the exact file size (4gb) as of the big 4gb dvd game which infact that mdf file i mounted is only 3mb in size..

when i open that virtual dvd-rom, it shows only some files compared to the actual game cd.. what i presume is that someone who made that small mdf deleted most of the actual contents in the original cd and then figured a way to only put the required contents to make the new small mdf work like the original cd.. installation with this small mdf is impossible as there are no installation files in it...

if u still dont get it, i can send u that small mdf file and u can mount it on daemon tools and see it for yourself.. :)

hope someone knows what i am talking about and i hope they can teach me as well.. :p