1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Make Clips from DVD - VOB file

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by putray, Jun 15, 2007.

1. putray

putray Member

I have tried using VirtualDubMod to create a clip of a vob file - the uncompressed avi was huge. Direct Streaming video is not possible. I followed previous suggestions and tried to use Chopper XP but I cannot make a clip from a vob file, nor can I successfully convert to another file type. Can anyone tell me how precisely I should proceed for this type of taks or perhaps lead me to a previous posting I may have missed? Many Thanks!!

2. attar

attar Senior member

If the VOB is in a folder or image that has been ripped from a DVD, then use DVD Shrink to 'Re-author' the clip as required.
    The output can be saved to a new DVD compliant folder or burned as a new DVD.

If the object was to clip the VOB and save in AVI format using VirtualDubMod, then import the large VOB, set 'Video' 'Framerate' so that A and V are the same then save the A and V to the required compression.

3. putray

putray Member

Thanks for your help. I actually did use DVD shrink to reauthor because it was a DVD containing multiple tv shows (titles) and I wanted only one of those. So now I have a single vob file tucked into a folder on my C drive (along with the ifo and bup files) and I would like to make a smaller clip from this vob. Virtualdubmod can make the clip but it is huge (over 30G) and the sound is not right. I have Chopper XP but when I try to convert or cut it shows the 'processing' window but it doesnt proceed with the processing, or the resulting file has 0 kb - or it just doesnt play the 'clip'. What I really want to do is take a sound clip from a Hogan's Heros episode. I thought it would be a good tool to learn to make video clips as well. Thanks again for your suggestions.

4. putray

putray Member

Hello attar, sorry to be lengthy but there is another thing I should mention. when I do have my re-authored DVD and try to open in Chopper XP it says it cannot open. I have to manually extract the vob file. It asks me for the file length, start time and end time - which I know from playing around in Virtualdubmod. So I can extract into Chopper XP but cannot get anything to happen. Thanks again.

5. attar

attar Senior member

I'm not clear on your ultimate aim for this VOB.
    If you wanted a smaller clip from the original, then Shrink can select a pretty short segment - or do you mean in the sense of taking up less space - an AVI which infers compressing with VirtualDubMod..

VirtualDubMod lets you demux the AC3 audio - which can be converted to other formats as you please.

6. putray

putray Member

I apologize for any confusion - I want to make a clip from a larger vob file. I think I may have solved my problem with regard to Chopper XP. I went back to DVD Shrink and re-authored the vob file I want to clip from. This time I made sure there was 'No Compression' and Chopper XP seemed to accept the file thereby allowing me to cut a piece from the original vob. Can you tell me what you would suggest as a vob editing tool? Audio tool? Im looking at one sold by Xilisoft now.

I ask this because another problem Im having with Chopper XP is that when I 'mark in' and 'mark out' the positions of start and finish for my clip - the output file is off by a few seconds. The actual output file plays a scene previous to the one I marked. This defeats the whole purpose for me. Thanks again.

7. attar

attar Senior member

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  8. putray

putray Member

In order to use that app I would need to convert to AVI right? tx for your support in this forum, I appreciate having people like yourself who make time to respond!!

9. attar

attar Senior member

With the new DVD Author you have the choice of importing an AVI or a DVD compliant folder or a single VOB file (I think it wants it to be MPEG, but you just use the 'all files *.*' selection and bring it in)

10. putray

putray Member

Do I want the new Author or the Editor 2.5*? The Author will enable me to edit vob files?

11. attar

attar Senior member

The Author.I think it has a trial period too.