1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Make XBMC Your Default Dashboard

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by FuZ3, Aug 5, 2006.

1. FuZ3

FuZ3 Regular member

[bold]How to Make XBMC Your Default Dashboard[/bold]
    By: FuZ3

[bold]Things you are going to need:[/bold]

- Softmodded Xbox
    - XBMC-CVS 2006-07-25-T3CH: http://files.filefront.com/XBMC+CVS+2006+07+25+T3CHrar/;5356650;;/fileinfo.html
    - XBE Shortcut Maker: http://files.filefront.com/XBE+Shortcut+Makerrar/;5338620;;/fileinfo.html
    - MC360(Optional): http://files.filefront.com/MC360RAR/;5356681;;/fileinfo.html
    - FTP Client: http://files.filefront.com/FlashFXP+34+Setupexe/;5387329;;/fileinfo.html

[bold]Getting Started[/bold]

First you are going to need to FTP to your E:\Apps folder
    [​IMG]

Then after extracting the XBMC folder from the XBMC-CVS 2006-07-25-T3CH.rar you need to drag it over to the E:\Apps folder
    [​IMG]

Then you are going to need to open up the XBE Shortcut Maker. You need to put the file path to where your Xbox Media Center's default.xbe file is and type it in the "Target Path" bar
    [​IMG]

Then you need to click "Create Shortcut" and type default for "File Name" and then click "Save"
    [​IMG]

Then you need to locate the default.xbe that loads your modded dashboard. In which mine is located in the E:\Dashboard folder. Then you need to overwrite it with the default.xbe that the XBE Shortcut Maker created
    [​IMG]

Then click the overwrite button
    [​IMG]

Now you just want to reboot your Xbox and it should load to the XBMC dashboard!

Team Blackbolt has made a skin for Xbox Media Center that makes it look exactly like an Xbox 360.

**Note** This is totally optional, but looks sweet!

[bold]Loading the skin[/bold]

All you need to do is FTP the MC360 folder into the E:\Apps\XBMC\Skin folder
    [​IMG]

Then just reboot your Xbox and go into the "Settings"
    [​IMG]

Then go into "Appearence"
    [​IMG]

Then just change the skin to MC360.
    [​IMG]

It will take a second to load and then you will see your Xbox 360 skin on your original Xbox!

Don't forget to change the "Startup Window" to "XBMC Live Blade" so it starts up like a normal Xbox 360.
    [​IMG]

Then just reboot your Xbox and your done!
    [​IMG]

© FuZ3

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  2. KaM1kAzE

KaM1kAzE Member

hey i did the steps you mention but in the end when i open my xbox no dashboard shows. It's just stuck at mircosoft xbox logo. I had an evox dahboard if that helps.

3. FuZ3

FuZ3 Regular member

For the .xbe shortcut did you set the filepath correctly to your XBMC\default.xbe file correctly?

*Note* Don't forget to use a \ instead of a /

4. KaM1kAzE

KaM1kAzE Member

yeah I typed / not \ and I cant FTP my xbox because of the logo still on there. Is there a way to fix that?

5. KaM1kAzE

KaM1kAzE Member

sorry for the double post but i think this information is required. I used xboxhdm to mod my xbox so the location of the apps is at the /C/ drive and the evox dashboard i had was at /E/ROOT/default.xbe and that file had ~742KB. I hope this information helps.

6. FuZ3

FuZ3 Regular member

So you can't go to your modded dashboard?

7. KaM1kAzE

KaM1kAzE Member

yeah like like i said it kinda frozen in mircosoft logo sorry if i confused you

8. FuZ3

FuZ3 Regular member

Hmmm. I don't know what to tell you. I guess you might need to run XBHDM again and fix your harddrive. Then I guess you could go ahead and make your shortcut with the right file extension. Don't forget use \ instead of /

9. KaM1kAzE

KaM1kAzE Member

That will be no problem. Do you know the steps (with pics if nessecary) to fix your harddrive? It's been a while since the last time i used it so I'm alil rusty.

10. FuZ3

FuZ3 Regular member

I have never used it. I have tryed but my computer couldn't run it so I gave up. I'm sure someone else here could help you out. But from what I have heard, XBHDM is pretty self explainatory.

11. al_he_79

al_he_79 Member

are you softmodded? if yes do the following...

if u are stuck at the microsoft logo, try inserting your auto-installer dvd if you dont have one, download one from the net it should let you install a dashboard then you can get back in ur xbox and ftp and do the changes you need to do.

i do that in mine all the time when i mess up something and stay stuck on the microsoft logo at the beginning.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  12. soons

soons Member

I have the exact same problem so for the auto installer, if i used AID 3.0 could i just go straight too install dashboard? or would i have to go thorough all the steps like backup eeprom, etc....? Or as an alternative, is thre anyway to use the auto installer to ftp to my xbox so i can just correct the dashboard withotu installing anything??

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  13. FuZ3

FuZ3 Regular member

I doubt you would need to backup your eeprom again considering you have already done so. But I don't know much about installer disks.

14. KaM1kAzE

KaM1kAzE Member

I know this sounds like a stupid question but since my computer cant burn DVDs can I put it on a CD-R? I heard xbox could read a certain type of CD and wanted to verify.

15. al_he_79

al_he_79 Member

kamikaze it dont hurt trying and see if it works on cd dont know here cause all i use is dvd's, yours might read it or might not.

about ftp i dont think you will be able to since there is no dashboard to manage the xbox. best thing is just burn your auto-installer then just choose to install dashboard and install the one you want you dont have to install everything just insttall the dashboard you wish to install then if you want o back up your xbox do it. soons read this is for you too hopefully it works for you.

16. KaM1kAzE

KaM1kAzE Member

thanks al hey is it against the rules to ask for the location of the auto installers because all i get is .pdf files.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  17. al_he_79

al_he_79 Member

torrent sites are not a bad idea or mirc find some guides on how to do torrents if you dont know how to do it

and i almost forgot thanks for the guide FUZ3 is bad a$$

18. reaper271

reaper271 Guest

ummm i dont think i have an apps folder, what should i do?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2006
  19. FuZ3

FuZ3 Regular member

It should make an Apps folder when you install a modded dashboard. If not I do not know what to tell you. If you go into your dashboard and there is an applications section then I don't think it would matter if you made your own folder. About the installer disk: I have used the Slayer disk, I used a CD-R and it worked fine in my Xbox. My computer can't burn DVD's anyway so I just tryed it and it worked like a charm.

@al_he_79
    Thanks! If you guys can think of anything else you would want a tutorial for just let me know, I enjoy making them, lol.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  20. al_he_79

al_he_79 Member

reaper271 are you softmoded or you have a chip and what dashboard are you using right now?

another thing when you ftp your xbox go to drive E: then you should see a apps/ folder

Fuz3 well dont know if peeps would like to activate trainers from xbmc i did just learn today lol downloaded xored then run the app from xbmc and it worked like a charm but before i always thougt i had to go to evox to load trainers now i know i can load em from xbmc that could be a good guide for peeps interested in running trainers from xbmc and dont know how. but maybe you can try a more worth a while guide its up to you. Good luck and thanks again for the guide.