1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make your own Memory Card Exploit using the Independence Installer

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by L-Burna, Sep 17, 2004.

1. trych0t

trych0t Guest

cool thx for the info guys. yea i'll guess i'll try a few more times with the gameshark v2.

btw, what i meant by ps1 gameshark,was that the it was a ps2 gameshark v2 cd, blue backside, it just had the ps1 cheat codes instead of the ps2 cheat codes. would that make a difference if that is what you meant. to load the ps2 cheat code disc of gameshark v2.

thx for the advice on the slidecard, didn't know that would happen.

thx again guys,
    trych0t

btw, how the heck can you do that with a camera. and also, was thinking about ARMax. not a bad idea.. ah so many choices.. lol

2. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I never said it didn't work jonjakjam what I meant is that I don't know the technique of getting it to work.I was saying that the LBA is changed for swap magic users,and so forth.If you are hear to criticize then be my guest.I am not trying to make mistakes,but I guess you see them more clearly then me so be my guest.

Yeah man this is pretty much explainatory right here.The PS1 game is gonna be launched right,so if you like PS1 and are using a PS1 trigger disc.I don't see how that would be the way to go.If it is just one game you don't like then this makes sense to me right.Since it won't work after you put that in the title.db right.

I didn't really say it could or not.I am just saying that I haven't tried it,and from what I hear the disc never stops spinning right.You would have to stop the disc inside the system,and the only way to do that would be slidecard.I wouldn't recommend a slidecard to anyone jonjakjam that is why I said not to use the slidecard.In all fairness jonjakjam I wasn't wrong with this man,it might seem like it but nah man I am just trying to help out.

Another thing trych0t the method would probably be like this then to clear the gameshark method up.

Insert your gameshark2V2 the PS2 disk.
    Tell it to start without codes,using slidecard which I don't want to tell you.
    Slide the tray out and insert the Memory Card Exploit disk.
    The tray will stop making it possible to swap the discs.
    If you are using fliptop cover then you will go with swap magic discs.Since the fliptop will not stop spinning the actual disc in the drive.

Nah man I use them quite frequently and they seem to boot more than you think.Although it might not seem like it yeah it is safer then the other methods described.The LBA that came off swap magic discs is the same LBA that is on the gameshark2V2 discs also.I don't see how they are that different,beside the actual gameshark being able to stop the drive inside the PS2.I am glad you know alot on this and happy to have you help out also jonjakjam.Like I said man I am not making false statement just saying use what is safe,because we all want to keep the PS2 alive right.

Peace L-Burna

3. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Oh another thing the ARMax exploit is the way to go man

I agree man glad we both see that right.The pen drive can be bought at a WalMart or something similiar,buying a pen drive with the ARMax is kinda pointless.If you do I think they charge you more for it,not really sure on how much it costs.I have the pen drive that came with the ARMax,and it is no different than any pen drive you can buy at the store.It looks cooler that is pretty much all,but besides that nah you can get that cheaper from the store than buying it with ARMax probably.You say you can use a digital camera jonjakjam where did you see that man.I never heard of it,but sounds cool man...Nice
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Just roll an L and pass a incent[/small]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  4. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I am still working on it Ataxonu,but should be done real soon man.I think this guide would pretty much help you out though:

|||[[INSTALLING MC EXPLOIT USING AR MAX/EVO CD]]|||

Author iMNeW

Posted 2004-10-06 @ 23:33 GMT

<<<<INSTALLING MC EXPLOIT USING AR MAX/EVO CD>>>>

GATHER THESE TOOLS FIRST:
    -PS2 (duh)
    -8mb MC (duh)
    -ACTION REPLAY MAX/EVO CD
    -Pendrive
    -Title.db (it should be modified to ur psx disc id)
    -ELF FILES (hdloader, hdadvance, dms format, etc...)
    -Ps2 save builder (its on ps2savetools)
    -Xps to Max converter (its on ps2-scene)
    -PC
    -BOOT.ELF ( this usually the ps2menu.elf, it was rename..)

Overview:
    first, turn on ur ps2 with mc inserted and without disc, and got to ur save on ur mc...
    IF YOU SEE THIS (Your SYSTEMCONFIGURATION) thats where ur exploit files will be installed....
    (besure you dont delete this)

HERES THE GUIDE:
    1. open up ps2 save builder
    2. put BADATA-SYSTEM or BEDATA-SYSTEM on the ROOT/ID space
    3.then click text icon...then window will pop up
    just put (Your SystemConfiguration) all in the 3 blanks...
    4. then just drag files (title.db, BOOT.ELF, hdloader.elf and other elf's) on the ps2savebuilder....
    5. besure u have list of file that listed on the ps2savebuilder window....
    6.then save it...FILE=>SAVE AS=>anyname.xps
    (BESURE YOU CHOOSE *.xps as save as type when saving this)
    6. then just open up the xpstomax convertor....
    then click FILE=>Load xps... (locate where u save the *.xps, this is the one u save when u use ps2save builder...)
    7. then a list of file will appear...(those are the files u drag on the ps2savebuilder you dumb nuts and u should have the important files =>TITLE.DB, BOOT.ELF and ur hdloader and other elfs...)
    8.then click FILE again then click SAVE MAX...
    (this will now convert ur xps to max saves)
    wait for few minutes, then ur MAX save will be created..
    9. now its time to put on ur MC....
    first copy that *.max save to ur pendrive then use ur AR MAX/EVO CD to uncrush taht max save on ur MC... (to do that goto ur memory card manager, then goto ur pendrive then u would see ur shit
    &Your SystemConfiguration<= yea this shit on ur pendrive check it then choose uncrush it on ur MC and ur done...
    (NOTE; besure that thers no systemconfiguration on ur MC before u uncrush &systemconfiguration...)
    10. turn off ur ps2...
    11. insert ur psx cd...
    12. AND THEN YOU WILL SEE UR SHIT PS2MENU ...
    press r1 on ur ps2 controller then choose MC0... teh u will see ur BADATA-SYSTEM... choose it ...
    then u will see HDLOADER.elf and the files u drag up from ps2savebuilder.....just hightlight HDLOADER.ELF then press x then ur SHHHH***T HDLOADER LOOOADSSS UP..

HOPE U UNDERSTOOD WHAT I DID

I found this guide out when searching on the way to load it from the memory card using ARMax with the pen drive and so forth.It might be a little sloppy,but sill it is understandable to somewhat.I think you can make out what has to be done.If not I can help you out,me and jonjakjam right.I am sure jonjakjam knows more about this than me,using a digi cam to boot the exploit.That is wild man I still can't really get over that ;).

5. Ataxonu

Ataxonu Member

Well, the digital camera and its memory card act just like a hot swapable usb pen drive so I would think it is plausable... I just got done making a new cd-r compilation that I think will work this time (going to try it out in a little bit) you made some very BIG advancements and developements and I think the folks over at ps2-scene and ps2ownz would love to have your guide as well, but lets test the crap out of it before hand... I am going to use the ps2menu-k 1.3 as my boot.elf along with my 10th button being linked to ps2os.elf (which has support for flash memory cards)... Then tomorrow I'm going to try that new max evo guide of yours (got max evo from bestbuy today 0-yeah-baby!) and see if I can get that running aswell, assuming my new image works tonight by the standard exploit way... This is going to be a huge developement (well already found out to some extent but made easier to do by u)... It will now allow us to hopefully just transfer a ELF right onto the pen drive and plug it into the ps2 and execute it off the pen drive (Have you tried that yet?) I also got some good deals on a 128mb pny and 128mb sandisk cruzer and I also have on hand a 256mb pny pen drive and a flash card "slot" type of drive and will try all 4 and report what I have found... I also got some fresh memory cards tonight which I believe will kill that tile.db error (I figure a miss-spelling of title.db) (if I find out what is the cause I will report and you can put a warning in your guide).......

6. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah man glad to have any help on the guide as much as possible.I was thinking about it,but never tried it.I think it is a good idea and yeah man am looking for a better method of upgrading the .ELF files as much as possible.Any helpfull finds to make it better is much appreciated,and definately worth trying.There is another way by using ftp way,but this is more complicated than usual if you have never setup a ftp server.I think that is another way of doing it,but would probably need the ethernet adapter for the PS2 to get it to work.Like I said man any help is appreciated and will look forward to your progress.

7. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I have another nice find it is the EMS memory adapter that can work.It is a memory card slot that runs through usb to connect to the computer from the PS2.If you want to check it out you can find it here http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=23&products_id=2360& .It is nice to have since you can store your game saves on the computer,and even upgrade the exploit this way also.I thought it is cool,let me know what you think of it.

8. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

About the PS1 trigger disk... explainatory right, if you take out the MC it will boot the game as normal, did you ever think about that L-Burna =)

About GS2... The disk STOPS spinning once the main menu has booted up so you were wrong...but its all good.
    The slidecard wont damage too much if the disk isnt spinning right, I dont use it anymore but never had a prob with it. fliptop is better but its gonna cost ya!

About the digi cam... I thought to myself, theres got to be another way??? So I just plugged my cam into my pc and tried sending a file to its media card with the Max software. Strangly enough it worked fine with ARMAX... so it saved me alot of $$$ =)

That EMS adapter looks outdated but would be good for transfering saves etc..

9. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah it fixes it when you take the memory card out when you want to play PS1 games.I guess you gotta keep pulling that sucka out when you want to play your favorite PS1 game.Other than that,it can be fixed by downsizing the title.db with just one game though.I was just saying it isn't really needed all the other games on the title.db,when you pretty much only need one game.

I was thinking a different method man.It was the method where you get to the Insert Game Screen then use slidecard.I thought when you slide the tray out,it will automatically stop the disc from spinning.I don't know man,like I said I am flippy user with swap magic discs.

Yeah man the digi cam method aint bad.I think it's cool and yeah it probably does save you money in the long run.That is cool jonjakjam to see you got it working with the digi cam method.

The slidecard is the worse jonjakjam,it not only defects the tray of the PS2.It has serious probs with later effects is all.The drive tends to get weakened by this,and the laser also gets weak.Glad to hear you got something better man.

The EMS adapter would have to agree it looks outdated,but still can be used man.It has more than one adapter also,so there are numerous possibilities with this one man.I was looking at the specs of it,and this is what all it has for it:

Compatible with PS2 and PS1 Memory Cards
    Format function to fix corrupted PS2 Memory Cards
    Backup your Save Games on your PC
    Edit PS2 Save Games
    Connect the Memory Card to your PC via USB port
    Download and exchange game save data
    E-Mail game saves to your friends
    Software supports Windows 98, ME, 2000 and XP

The main thing is the adapters for it man.I think you can find them here http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=25&products_id=287& this one is the smart media add on,and this one http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=25&products_id=503& which is the flashcard 16mb.I know it doesn't look nice,but yeah it has its possibilities right to work pretty good with the exploit.I don't know man just pointing out more stuff that works with the exploits right.Whatever will save money in the long run is the best way to be honest.

10. Doodmar

Doodmar Member

Ok, anyone know if it is possible to use the gameshark method with the gameshark you can rent at Hollywood Video? Or do you have to use a gameshark that has the memory card dongle?

The reason I ask this is because I don't want to go and buy a gameshark just to use it once to install an exploit.

11. Ataxonu

Ataxonu Member

REPORTING:

If you get a "tile.db" error right off the bat then you either don't have a memory card inserted in the first place, or it is unformatted... Insert and format before hand...

Also, I got it to boot and boy is ps2menu-k UGLY green and black...

Notice durring the boot sequence that it mentions that ipconfigure.dat is screwed up or not right (forget exact error, look carefully)... I'm going to also test KeyLauncher 0.4 to see if R3 and L3 are working... (How exactly did you get your R3 and L3 buttons working when it doesn't seem that ps2menu is configured to hotlink them...)

Also, and most astonishing is that in ps2os the usb pen drives are unfound wtf!!! What other ELF can I try to in order to find if they indeed are working and that something is wrong with ps2os...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ALL TRUE GAMERS PLAY ON EVERY PLATFORM![/small]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  12. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Hey Doodmar wats up yeah the gameshark2V2 should be the gameshark that doesn't automatically eject the tray.If you can find the older version then you should be good to go.The ARMax can also be used,same thing also.It should have a dongle memory card,and not have the auto eject button.This is a good way to get the gameshark or action replay to work,making sure the tray doesn't auto eject.The newer builds are made to auto eject so there really is no way to trick the PS2 into knowing you actually swapped discs,so that counts them out.Anyways good luck on finding something to boot it with man ;).

13. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Hey wats up Ataxonu glad to hear from you man.The menu-k is ugly,that is something to point out man.I never seen it,but you probably right.When you are talking about the L3 and R3 buttons for the KL.DAT config file for PS2Menu they are just for the install man.They actually point out the .ELF files when you install them.When you config that file it should pick up right away when installing,the keylauncher is not as good as PS2Menu man.You might want to stick with PS2Menu,not the menu-k version but just the normal PS2Menu V2.6 .When you get that error with PS2os I think the menu-k is only for harddrive users.I am not real sure about it,but that could be the problem with it I think.

14. Doodmar

Doodmar Member

Ok, just rented it. It's Gameshark2 V.2 lite. When I boot it up it goes to the main menu and doesn't stop spinning....is it suppose to do that? When I pick start game, there is no option to start with no cheats enabled, but it doesn't auto eject. It came with no dongle.

So.....how do I do it?

15. Ataxonu

Ataxonu Member

"""When you are talking about the L3 and R3 buttons for the KL.DAT config file for PS2Menu they are just for the install man."""

(Install of what, the initial installation onto the mem card????? and then they dump those key assignments?????)

(How does PS2Menu know to look at the KL.DAT file for key assignment...or is the KL.DAT file associated with the independence installer application?)

(When in the PS2Menu it is black with green font on my screen) It doesn't have the buttons assigned to a specific program rather it is a program much like PS2os where you can execute a .ELF by hitting X...)

"""They actually point out the .ELF files when you install them."""

(The button assignments point at the .ELF files? Only when installing them?)

"""When you config that file it should pick up right away when installing, the keylauncher is not as good as PS2Menu man."""

(CONFIG WHICH FILE AND WHEN? and PICK UP WHAT?)

When you get that error with PS2os I think the menu-k is only for harddrive users.I am not real sure about it,but that could be the problem with it I think.

(Which error? If it is the ipconfig.dat file that I mentioned then the error is this: "Could not find ipconfig.dat, using defaults")

P.S. Have you tried or been able to get PS2os to see a usb pen drive, did you have to add a file somewhere as the readme says?

And is PS2MENU v2.6 pretty like keylauncher??? and/or has the same hotlink button setup???

16. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

It is like this Ataxonu the KL.DAT config file is edited to associate with the BOOT.ELF file in the install.When you assign those buttons,it is like telling the BOOT.ELF file.This is gonna be PS2Menu V2.6 or keylauncher that the ELF files are on the exploit to install.If you miss something in the KL.DAT config file it is more than likely fail to recognize the .ELF file.The keylauncher you can try it out if you want.All it does is use the actual key buttons which is only limited to 12 buttons.The PS2Menu is better then this,because it lets you press the X button over the .ELF files.If you use buttons rather than using the button X feature.You will run out of buttons before you will using the button X to boot the .ELF files.

17. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Hey Doodmar do you have a way of swapping discs by using slidecard or fliptop.You are going to have to trick the PS2 into not knowing the disc is being switched out.That is why I am asking you this.

18. Ataxonu

Ataxonu Member

AH, so more or less the KL.DAT file informs the BOOT.INF that "hey there are some ELF files you need to know about" And so it helps guide the BOOT.ELF in the install process...and thats it, unless you have a keylauncher BOOT.ELF then it will boot KeyLauncher with those pre-assigned buttons with linked ELFs

I guess what I'm confused about is that how does the KL.DAT file know to associate itself (for it was specifically made for KeyLauncher) with the PS2MENUv2.6's BOOT.ELF... Was PS2MENU's BOOT.ELF built to look for that KL.DAT FILE in the first place, and thus are all initial menu type BOOT.ELF's looking for that KL.DAT file or is it that the KL.DAT was not made for Keylauncher specifically and is a general important file???

How can a program (other than KeyLauncher) that is not coded for KL.DAT see and use it in the first place, and know to use it???

I guess I'm looking for more of a "WHY" than "HOW"...

Ok, I re-read your last post in detail and I think you said that the installer actually edits the KL.DAT file to fit itself to the other programs (PS2MENU) BOOT.ELF... So it actually tweaks itself in the install process...

19. Doodmar

Doodmar Member

Yes L-Burna, I made a slide card in order to do this, but I don't know when I am suppose to use it with this version of GS(the cd never stops spinning...is it suppose to stop?).

Could you please give me a step by step tutorial for when I have my slide card, GS, PS1 game and exploit CD made?

Thanks

20. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Well they probably put the KL.DAT config file in for updates to it.I am thinking since they leave this file out of the actual program such as PS2Menu or keylauncher it would make it more adjustable to improving it by upgrading older .ELF files and such.If the program was adjusted to have it already built into it.Then the possibilities of ever upgrading it would decease.Other than this man,it is always good to use this for advancing and improving the memory card exploit by adding removing whatever you want ;).