1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make your own Memory Card Exploit using the Independence Installer

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by L-Burna, Sep 17, 2004.

1. NovaWolf

NovaWolf Member

thanks for your help, it has its own zipping feature thats it.

2. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

3. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

I've always had all of the needed items to softmod my ps2 without even knowing, I guess by owning a softmodded xbox I doomed and kept my ps2 in a box down in my basement. I didn't know that I could attach a hard drive to the network adapter till I saw a video on youtube. I haven't used my ps2 in 6 years, damn I didn't know.

I have the hard drive attached and I'm using Game Breaker Pro NSTC Version 1.1, and I'm having trouble booting the exploit. I generated the exploit using PS2 Exploit Utility 5.1. The above link shows a tutorial that shows how to manually create the exploit iso but the Utility does it for you. I'm asking, what am I doing wrong? Do I have to modify the LBA of the .CNF files that the tutorial states I should? Gamebreaker Pro boots, I swap the disc and it just says "booting disc" nothing happens. I created the disc without adding a dummy file.

I’m using ImgBurn to burn the iso.

Has anybody created the exploit using Gamebreaker Pro, because I don't want to buy Swap Magic if not absolutely necessary.

Any thoughts?

4. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

You need to add the dummy file when you create the disk. I would make about 150MB.
    That is most likely the problem.

5. tmh5587

tmh5587 Member

ya man there is a real easy way of making an exploit, you don't even need an iso.

the only things you need is your game breaker pro or game shark, a PSone disk, a PS2 memory card (completly empty), the harddrive(your size of course), a flash drive or jump drive, independent compiler v4.1, Save Builder, and what ever .ELF files you want on the hard drive.

1.Take you psone game and put it in your computer, start the compiler and pick the correct drive, get the title.DB from the game.

2.Keep the default launch ELF.

3.The next tabe will let you add all of the nice .ELF files that you found, like hd loader etc...(add as many as you want, but make sure it will fit on the memory card and be sure to add some type of networking or FTP .ELF)

4.on the ip region just select yes and keep everything default.

5.Next pick the region

6. Don't do anything with the dummy files, then on the last tab just select memory card(XPS) and then hit Create Exploit!

7. Start the save Builder and open the .XPS file you just made, then resave it as .CBS file, check the drop down box it will say Code Breaker Saves.

8. Plug in your Flash drive and put your new save file on it.

9. Plug in both the PS2 memory card and the flash drive in.

10. Start your code breaker and transfer your saved file from your flash drive to your ps2 memory card.

11. Turn your ps2 off and put the code breaker disk with the Psone game you used earlier, also remove the flash drive but of course keep the memory card in there and Viola you now have a moddified PS2.

P.S. this is better then using a disk because once you have booted from the psone disk you can take it out, the rest of it runs off either the memory card or the hard drive.

6. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

I only have gamebreaker pro 1.1. This boot disc doesn't have cheats, i can load all of my psx backups fine, put when i attempt to load the exploit nothing happens. I don't what i'm going wrong. I've followed several guides including the guide posted several replies above and still it just doesn't load.

7. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

I'm trying to transfer the exploit onto the memory card, i can't install it I can't even boot it to begin with. I don't know what's going on, I'm about to give up.

8. tmh5587

tmh5587 Member

well im not sure if game breaker pro v1.1 works for the memory card exploit but if you have a code breaker then it will work? also don't get frustrated its really hard at first but if you get it once then its cake. Make sure you have every thing that i wrote and make sure its a code breaker v8.1, or newer, and ps2 memory card and a ps1 game.

also let me know exactly what your are having trouble with, is it one of the programs or is it getting your newly made saved game to the ps2 memory card?

9. tmh5587

tmh5587 Member

ya man but if you read the tutorial is says

"You do not need a modified PS2 to use the exploit. You will, however, need a way to get the exploit onto your memory card. This guide will cover how to get the exploit onto your memory card using a modified PS2, so if you don't have a modified PS2, or know someone who does, this tutorial will not get you any further"

so im not sure it will help him??

10. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Are you burning it to CD-R media and use imgburn (its free)

11. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

We all know that original psx games have a slus_xxxx file number, and the system.cnf is the command in which all games boot. I've been looking at the files that the generator creates and the file used in which the exploit is supposed load from is the system.cnf but it doesn’t have a slus_xxxx file. All of your responses have helped me alot as to what the problem is. I believe that my Gamebreaker Pro disc is also looking for the slus_xxxx file to boot from. I bought this disc a couple years ago, from the looks of it I'm going to have to some how modify the system.cnf and create a slus_xxxx file so that the disc understands that its a psx game.

What disc can I use that will guarantee 100% that I'll be able to install this exploit? I have the memory card, hard drive, usb hard drive and usb flash drive. I would like to use a disc that will let me transfer the contents from the usb drive directly to my mc without having to boot a disc, because at this point I'm going to have to spend some cash but I want to avoid the exploit iso boot method. I could buy a chip but I don't what to spend additional cash for the installation. I'm real frustrated right now wasted numerous discs and I would just like to know with one to buy since so many discs exist.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  12. SuperXL

SuperXL Regular member

CodeBreaker v8.1 and higher. maybe 20bux at walmart/gamestop/EB games. it was 20bux 2yrs ago when i bought my 8.1.

13. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Well personally you would be better off to just get Swap Magic, then you can use uLaunch 4.12 to copy files from your usb flash drive to the mc or hdd.

You could then get hdloader.elf to boot games from your hdd.
    Plus you would be able to boot backups with Swap Magic.

I believe you are right especially with the Breaker Pro that it is looking for a SLUS file in the system.cnf.
    The only thing I could find on the net about this is here:
    http://www.piratgruppen.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-62570.html

14. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

I've followed this guide long time ago. I used a thumb drive, a PS1 trigger disc, and AR Max to get the exploit from the thumb drive to the PS2 memory card. Of course, you need the fat PS2 and an HDD.

Edit: If my memory serves me right, I think I used this tutorial in conjunction with this other one. Sorry, I know this is method involves the use of other tools.
    http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=maxexploit.html

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  15. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

16. tmh5587

tmh5587 Member

17. tmh5587

tmh5587 Member

This is exactly what I have been saying the only diff is that i used a code breaker v8.1, only took about 15 min or so and was up and running. I'm sure that action replay is just as easy, really the whole transfer is the same on everyone. the only difference is the way you save the "saved game you make".

Also as i said earlier, I don't think using swapmagic or burnning it to a cd is a very economical way to do the exploit, mainly because your defeating part of the perpous of the exploit. That is of couse that the lazer lens is being exssesavly used and one of the great things about the exploit is you can just run apps, backups, etc... right off the HD, so you don't burn up your laser lens and you also don't scrach up expensive games. so if you just use the memory card and the PSone game it takes less of a toll on your ps2.

18. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  19. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

The exploit can load PS2 backups by using Cog-Swap Loader from what I've read so I could avoid swap magic since its real expensive.

20. SuperXL

SuperXL Regular member

it's too bad they dont have version numbers on all of them.... i think the first one has version 10.x so go for that. instead of getting a cheaper one. 10.x should work. and you wont have to go thru the headache of getting a cheaper one, only to find that the version isn't high enough.