1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make your own Memory Card Exploit using the Independence Installer

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by L-Burna, Sep 17, 2004.

1. 8ert

8ert Member

wow, this thread is still alive? What's nice though is you can mod the slim and hook up an external HDD, lot nicer since you don't have to remove an internal HDD, which is such a headeache. But I have since moved on to the PSP slim. And as soon as taxes are back, I will be rockin a ps3.

2. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

My disc should arrive today, I guess I'll create my sig. I've never created one.

3. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

I have bad luck. The disc arrived yesterday and to my disappointment the seller knowingly sent me version 3.3. I argued with him, I'm not stupid and besides he violated Amazon's merchant policy. He sold me that item under the listing that states the product was in fact Code Breaker 10. I just wanted to throw the disc into the street, I'll get my refund that's a promise. Man, I guess my last resort is to go on a scavenger hunt (going on another Easter hunt) into all of my local video game stores till I find one. EB Games and Gamestop should have them; I’ll go there first. That is my mission for today; this will only ease my anger.

I'll have to edit my sig since I haven't yet offically modded my PS2, I have everything ready to get this done except the Codebreaker disc.

4. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Well that sux doesn't it.
    Can't say I have ever bought off Amazon.

Good luck with it then, if you don't find it in your stores,they have it on Ebay.

5. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

I finally found Codebreaker 10, I ran the Utility 5.1 exploit created the gamesave and converted the save. Loaded the Codebreaker disc and transferred the exploit by means of USB and from there it was all self explanatory. I'm a bit disappointed that the SNES and SEGA emulators don't run as smooth as the NES and Gameboy emulators do, I guess I had high expectations.

I created a backup of Family Guy just to test, I used DVD Decrypter to rip and Imgburn to record. Cogswap can't load my backup, I guess I did something wrong. The ULaunchELF 4.12 status line when reading the disc is "stop" when I load my backup. Any thoughts?

6. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Can someone direct me to tutorials that demonstrate how to create working backups?

7. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

How to use Cogswap:
    1. Eject disc tray normally and put in an "big"/"high TOC" official PS2 game (like GTA)
    2. The screen will say PS2 DVD
    2. Press "X" on the controller
    3. The screen will say "Use Cogswap"
    4. Manually eject the disc tray (by slide tool or fliptop method)
    5. Replace the official PS2 game with your backup DVDR
    6. Push the disc tray back in and pull white cog to the left to close (or close fliptop if that's the method you're using)
    7. Press "X" on the controller
    8. Your backup game will load as normal!

Is that the method you followed to boot the backup.

How to create an Image File with Imgburn.
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=6379

You don't need to use DVD Decrypter as Imgburn is the successor of DVD Decrypter.
    So you can just use Imgburn for creating and burning backups.

Ule 4.12 tutorial.
    http://www.console-exploits.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9646

Let me know if you need more help.

8. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

I didn't know that and I didn't try that, I just ejected my psx game and replaced it with my backup without using the slide card. Interesting, I'll try it right away and let you know. Thanks

9. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

It worked! I read about TOC disc swap but didn't quite understand, I do know. Lets say that I backup a game that has a size of about 4.30GB, does this mean that in order to boot this backup I would need to have a TOC disc higher in size than my current backup in order for it to boot?

10. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Yes thats correct. I think it doesn't have to be much bigger than that, say like 4.35GB is fine then.

11. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

I'm backing up all of my games. I've have over 300 games real old ones from 2001 - 2003 and most of them no longer boot in my PS2 because they are scratched. I was thinking of buffing them but for most, I’ve created unequal layers, and now only my PC can read them. My PC has been able to read through the toughest of scratches.

12. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

What about DVD9 games that have been rebuilt? The game will now be a DVD5 but will the TOC of the backup change or does the original still need surpass the TOC of the rebuilt game in order to boot? Can I use a DVD9 game to boot backups that are single layer?

I don't even know how to rebuild yet but I'm asking just in case because I want to use a disc that will boot all of my games, since I have so many I don't want to be examining all of them.

50 Cent Bullet Proof - Will this boot all single layer discs?
    I know it's over 6GB in size. If this game can boot all of them I'll need to buy it.

13. SuperXL

SuperXL Regular member

why not use the pc to install the older games to a hard drive? it can save wear and tear on your laser in the future.

14. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

The TOC of the rebuilt will be smaller than the original DVD9 game.
    Yes you can use a DVD9 to boot backups that are single layer, for example Gran Turismo 4, or a Large DVD 5 Original.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/182717

To rebuild a DVD9 game it can be a bit different with each one, as there are ripkits out there for most of them.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/275350

For rebuild of most DVD5 games
    Read #11 of this faq:
    http://www.xtreme-source.com/tutorials-playstation-2/924-ultimate-ps2-faq.html

I am not quite sure how DVD9 games that large work for TOC refresh. Depends I guess how large the first layer is.

If you have a Large TOC thats stated in the list above, then just use it.

Seeing you do you have a 500GB hdd, you could just transfer your games to hdd using WinHiip.
    http://www.console-exploits.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9236

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  15. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

These links have been helpful. I haven't encountered a DVD9 yet I have 150 backed up. I'll transfer them onto my hard drive after I complete all of them. I'm not using my PS2 laser since I don't want to kill it, even though it has only been used sparingly in the last 6 years.

Swaying a bit from the subject, Has anybody had problems with Maxell DVD-R ID: ProdiscF02? My video playback from these are the worst, I've backed up 3 games on these discs and scene playback skips or pauses. I thought it was my player or my PS2 but If I record at 8X, I read in various forums that the quality ratio is about 95%. I’m trying to record at 8X but my record doesn’t achieve full speed from the get go. I created a thread, If anybody has any insight, maybe is my recorder.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/651702#3949174

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  16. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

That's why I'm not backing up my games on dvd I only did to test Cog-Swap, but my movies play horrible glitches, slight pauses every 3 minutes. I know when not to process the main title of a movie when VOB Blanker warns about this it also creates slight pauses. But this is a recorder or media issue.

17. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Thanks for the link within the other thread. I want to transfer additional files and folders without having to use my network adapter into my memory card. Do you know what ELF will allow me to do this? I burned all of the media players, emulators, boot loaders, utilities that I could get a hold of on a disc.

18. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

The menu at the bottom of the screen was not showing so I didn't know the button commands. I had to adjust the screen, it's all good now.

19. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

20. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

I believe I run the 1.51 version or the codejunkies one. It worked fine last time I used it to play road rash.