1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to organize multiple apps on DS

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by click66, May 15, 2007.

1. click66

click66 Member

So I just got my M3 Simply, and my 2GB Kingston Micro SD is in the mail. Now, in addition to wanting to watch movies via Moonshell, I also saw a slew of programs I want to run, all found on this page.
    http://www.dev-scene.com/NDS/Homebrew_Catalog

So, how do I get Moonshell, and say Beup (MSN app), Davr's Draw (drawing program) and MapViewerDS (map viewer) all to work nicely? Is there any sort of user friendly OS that would manage all these? (as in, a Palm OS that displays all the programs installed)?

If not, how do I load these programs so there isn't any conflict with them all trying to take control when I start my DS?

2. click66

click66 Member

3. spathi

spathi Regular member

You wont need a boot manager. The M3 Simply includes a loader that allows you to browser homebrew and backups and run them. You can only run one thing at a time so an OS isnt really required apart from the filesystem interface, which the M3 simply provides to homebrew developers.

PS: this means you can just put your apps and backups on the microsd, and browse to them with the M3's loader, and run them. you can have many apps and backups on the microsd, but run only one at a time.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  4. click66

click66 Member

allright, excellent. Thanks. When I install all these apps, I'm assuming I just put them all in their own seperate folder on the root drive.

Whadya mean I can't have more than one program open? No multitasking? Next you're gonna be telling me I can't overclock the DS processor. /kidding

5. spathi

spathi Regular member

The DS processor has been overclocked, sure. You can run linux on it too. But most homebrew is not built to work under DSLinux and expects full control over the processor. So, yeah, no multitasking :)

Most apps require their folders to be set up in the root or relative to their location on the drive. I keep mine under /Apps, but DSOrganize wants to retreive its stuff from /DSOrganize. Phidias also requires its files to be set up in the root directory. If you mark directories as hidden, they do not show up in the M3 Loader. I mark the 'required' directories of my installed apps as hidden, to avoid clutter while browsing the drive with the loader.

What you would be doing is downloading the homebrew, DLDI-patching it, and copying it over to the drive, along with any required files.