1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to overburn a .avi file to an 800+mb CDR

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by cohenjd, Sep 11, 2003.

1. cohenjd

cohenjd Member

I have many .avi files around 800mb (2-3 hrs) that i have downloaded from the internet. I would like to burn these onto a cdr if possible. I have some 800+mb cdrs but when i try to overburn these using Nero, the files come up as being around 1300mb.
    Does anyone know how to successfully get these files to burn onto a CDR.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as i don't know much about the fine details of this procedure.
    Thanks in advance

2. memcco

memcco Regular member

overburning is not recommended....you could easily screw up your burner...cd's are cheap. why risk it?

3. cohenjd

cohenjd Member

I only want to do it because i need to clear these 800mb files of my HD. all my 700mb files or less will burn .avi directly. I just seem to be having a problem with NERO. Any suggestions?
    cheers

4. filer

filer Guest

Are you shure they are AVI files and not MPEG files. Put in the SVCD type if it accept the file you only need normal cd's (700Mb's)

5. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

I think you will find those 800mb files to be svcd or vcd mpg files not avi's. Try using nero and use either super video or video mode. Nero will let you know what type of movie it is or if you have power dvd it will tell you the type of movie.

6. bikekid8

bikekid8 Regular member

800 mb cd's??? where??? how much??

7. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

The cdr's themselves are 700mb, but when you make a vcd or svcd cd, you can burn 800mb's of this type of file because you burn it in X2A mode which has no error correction to it. This allows more space for the video (error correction takes up mb space).

8. cohenjd

cohenjd Member

thanks everyone.... actually, the CDRs that i have are 800+mb/90min, but i've found that with overburning i can get around 850mb on average (although i have squeezed 880mb once) of data and 96 min of audio on them. I found them on ebay. pack of 50 was $15. cheers