1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to play back-up games on Nintendo DS Lite

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by kerryPSP, Jul 15, 2007.

1. kerryPSP

kerryPSP Member

I've read numerous threats and many small articles about how to play back-up games on Nintendo DS Lite, through a device called "M3". However, to be sure, I would like to ask some questions on this "issue":
    - What do I need to buy (if possible, please provide some good but cheap ones from particular online store(s))?
    - What will I need to do after buying enough equipment?
    - Any chance of being bricked (like PSP)? From what I read, there seemed to be no but just for sure.

2. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Either an M3 DS Simply or R4 DS (they are identical, the M3 is just a rebranded R4)
    You can get the R4 from www.dealextreme.com for a very good price but the shipping is known to be slow (but for the price no-one complains) i would recommend buying either the "R4+1GB Kingston" or "R4+2GB Kingston" combos from dealextreme.

Download the R4 firmware (http://www.r4ds.net) and copy the files to your MicroSD card.

The chances are much much slimmer, you only touch the DS firmware if you want to, it is not compulsory like with the PSP (well the psp isn't compulsory but you can't do much until you do). the only other way of a DS being bricked is through using a trojan (bit like a virus should you not know, but cannot self-spread) but the chances of comming across anything like this is next to none, i have never unintentionally donwloaded it, and even when you do most PC virus scanners see it, and unless a new trojan is ever released your only real bet of getting it is if your looking to download hentai to your DS.
    So basically if you do happen to brick your DS I would be extremely surprised.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  3. kerryPSP

kerryPSP Member

So, these steps are all?
    Thank you very much for these informations
    -----------
    Anyway, if I want to play any back-up game, will I just simply copy the clean rom to the microSD?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  4. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Yep, you can read my M3 DS Simply guide if you like, it's the second link in my sig. The guide applies to both the R4 and M3, but there is a download link in it for only the M3 files.

Caught me just before turning off my pc, bed time...(2:50am here)

5. blseeker

blseeker Member

Do I have to flash my DS Lite first?

6. ryanmg

ryanmg Guest

no just buy the m3 and a sd card put firmware on the sd card then put rom's on it and play.

7. woof811

woof811 Regular member

just thought id let anyone in the uk know a well recommended place to buy nintendo ds flash carts -

h**p://www.model-gadget.com/shop/ ( not sure if a direct link is allowed )

ive used them several times now when dealextreme have been out of stock , postage is royal mail first class and there service is excellent !

can well recommend them for anyone in the uk .

woof811.

p.s. not sure if they post worldwide or only uk .

8. glgsirius

glgsirius Member

just found this page after buying my DS Lite, cheers for the guide guys, my stuffs on the way.

just to let everyone know I have found a UK based site selling the

M3DS Simply for £23.00
    + 1 gb Card = £31.49
    + 2 gb Card = £37.35

this comes with

* 1x M3 Simply DS Card (Slot-1)
    * 1x USB microSD memory card reader / writer
    * 1x M3 Simply DS software
    * 1x M3 Simply DS card case & lanyard

www.clickshop.com

Just thought id let everyone know as i searched about a bit and this was the cheapest UK dealer i could find, delivery charge is reasonable aswell!

Once again,

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007