1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question how to program off old installation disc

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by kookie56, Feb 18, 2020.

1. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

I need a hp photo printing program off an old printer installation disc, but I can't get to it because the windows 10 says it is not compatible with it.
    I have tried using the compatibility thing to make it go to an earlier version, but with no success.
    Can anyone tell me if there is a way to get to the program? It is "HP Photo Printing"
    I found one online, but it is not the same as the older version.
    Can anyone help me?
    If anyone knows where I can get this program or how I can get it off the disc, please let me know.
    I would appreciate any help.
    Thank you

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Hi kookie56-

Why do you need that particular program? Are you trying to print to the old printer? If so, which one is it?

3. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

It is for my sister. She is very stubborn, lol. She bought a new tower, but didn't like the new printers. The program she wants is no longer available.
    I thought the compatibility choice was suppose to make older programs work.
    I think, I may have found a way. I took it off old pc. The folder and I will try putting on new pc.

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

In all likelihood you will need to run the .exe file to install it. You should set the compatibility of that file to the appropriate OS. It won't work by simply copying the program files to the other computer.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

She can run that program by installing the program from the disc.All you need do is use virtualbox.Install the os that the program is for (i'll assume its win 7 or later so don't auto activate it instead use daz loader v2.22 after it's installed,i have a copy if you need it)

The .exe will not install it. It will act as a portable program & will run as such. However if it doesn't work i.e has error missing .dll or such like,you can attempt to retrieve those missing files from the hard drive the program came from

6. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

If she can run it via VM, is the problem resolved?

Is this a disc from HP? It sounds like it's an OEM version that came with a hard drive. In that case, it normally won't install on a different hard drive.

Which printer (model number) is it for?

HP uses the Photos app for Win 10.

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

It's the driver & printer software disc that came with the printer.

8. aldan

aldan Active member

just a thought,but if it is the disk that came with the printer there is a better than even chance its not the most up to date driver.go to the hp site with the model number and get the driver there.there is also the chance that the printer is not supported by windows 10.in that case its time for a new one.

9. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

I am trying to install an old 6900 series HP printer onto Window 10 computer.
    My problem is...in the "compatibility" tab, I have only choices of Windows XP (service pack one) or Windows XP (service pack two).
    When I try to install with one of these, it just keeps telling me that it has to be Windows XP only.
    How can I fix this?
    This is for my sister, who did not like the new printers, so reverted back to her old PC and old printer.
    I would, at least, like to get her PC up to date, but she won't use it, unless the old printer is on it.
    I managed to get the old photo printing program on the PC, but can't find a way to put the printer on.
    Can anyone help me?
    I would appreciate any help.
    Thank you

10. aldan

aldan Active member

11. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I'm still interested in the model number (which I asked for in my last post.

12. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

HP6900

You won't get it working. The best you can hope for is windows own standard drivers which will see it & assuming it's even detected, will only scan pictures. All other functions will not work. The driver isn't your main issue although it is one.The software that say's to print is where your main issue is. That requires hp to provide you with them which they have,just not for win 10. Your options are simple.She either uses the old pc with it,which is what she's doing & is fine with it. Or you set up a vm on the win 10 machine & install xp to that (dz loader won't work on it as it's for win 7 & up, i do have a safe cracked copy of xp that won't require activation, if you need it), it ain't hard to create a vm (it's no different than installing a new OS on an hdd.Or you install say linux mint. Only reason she doesn't want a new printer is she's not used to it. If my 80 y/o father can work a new printer she sure as hell can

13. aldan

aldan Active member

there is no reason not to buy a new printer.time to put stubborness aside and do it.lol

14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

scorp, spammer spammed.

15. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Awww come on i enjoy reporting lol. ps: when i saw your email alert from the thread just now i was like wtf as the spammer got dealt to early this morning my time & most likely when i was a sleep. I was wondering as i hadn't needed to report then realized what was going once my brain was engaged. I tend to open the alerts to see if they've been zapped when i get up as i check email accounts in the morning & the avo as well