1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to protect CDs

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by cocolee, Feb 23, 2003.

1. cocolee

cocolee Guest

hi ,
    I used Nero Burning-Rom to record CDs.Is there the way protect CD when CD was recorded ? if have, please guide me.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

What do you mean? If you mean 'write-protect' (as floppies) this is automatic, since a CD-R can be written just once (and if you Close the CD with nero's 'Finalize CD' option, no data can be added.
    If you mean 'protection from unauthorised backups' you have to build a proper protection scheme and incorporate it in the main executable of the software you want to protect (or buy an available one from software houses that do that).

If you simply want the data you put on CD to be unaccessible (except yourself of course), for privacy I mean, the simplest way is to put everything on an archive (ZIP, RAR) and protect the archive with a password (you do that by choosing a proper setting on WinZIP/WinRAR during the archiving procedure).

This way the CD content (the .ZIP/.RAR) can be copied but the password will prevent unwanted people to read/use your stuff.

If you want to access again those files you'll need to unZIP (unRAR) them on your HD. Please note that you will no more be able to modify the files on the CD-R.

Is this enough?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2003
  3. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

I think he might mean to protect using a method like safedisk. If so I dont know how you could do that.

4. Daggar

Daggar Member

If you're archiving information that is of a sensitive nature then there's really only one way to ensure it's safety. Encrypt the information before you burn it to the CD. Yes.. Win Zip has some limited encryption ability but it's Mickey Mouse at best. Try PGP ware. PGP stands for Pretty good Privacy. With PGP you can even set the encrypted files so that when they are decrypted, they can't be rewritten in unencrypted form. Burning those files to CD will limit you in one aspect of PGP. PGP has a setting that destroys the original file and encrypted file upon being properly decoded and read. This feature will not be available on any permanently written media. One other little footnote about PGP is that it can be encoded to allow decryption by multiple users. There is a public key and private key used respectively, for encryption/decryption. If you intend to encrypt files for your buddy you use his public key to encrypt. Once you've encrypted the file not even you can decrypt that file unless you have your buddy's private key. Last I checked government encryption was either 128 or 256 bit. PGP is capable of roughly 2048 bit encryption. BONUS!! It's freeware!!