1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to put 3 hours of avi files to DVD-R?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dastott, Nov 17, 2004.

1. dastott

dastott Member

Hello eveyone. I have 2 avi files, both of which are 90 minutes long. I want to put them on a DVD. I have encoded both to DVD with Mainconcept MPEG Encoder but I need to make them smaller to fit on a single DVD-R. How do I do this?

By the way, when I tried to do make lower-resolution DVD files with TMPGEnc it gave me a wrong file length, so I used Mainconcept instead but only to standard DVD NTSC settings.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you...

2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

If you have them as VOB files on your harddrive then open them in DVD Shrink and compress them.
    Adder.

3. dastott

dastott Member

Thanks Adder01. I don't have them as .vob files yet. They are .avi files. Should I use TMPGEnc DVD Author to make the .vob files?

4. nist

nist Member

dastott, didn't you convert the files with mainconcept mpeg encoder? How can they still be in avi format?

Anyway, if you have converted the files to mpeg you could create a dvd structure (i.e. VIDEO_TS with vob files) with the free program from Cucusoft, "Cucusoft DVD Author - MPEGtoVOBConverter" found on their website www.cucusoft.com.

If the converted dvd is to large, use DVD shrink to fit on a dvd-5 as adder01 mentioned, then burn the dvd.

5. dastott

dastott Member

Thanks very much. My stupid mistake! The files are, of course, in DVD mpeg format. I will check the software you have recommended. Thanks again...

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

dastott,

Have you tried NVE(NeroVisionExpress)? It will allow you you to convert the files(It also converts faster than most of the other file conversion apps), add more than one file, create a custom menu for your compilation so you can navigate and go to any file you wish, set chapters, compress, and burn to DVD all in one app.

It even has a software remote control with which to preview your work and make sure it works and allows you to make any changes you wish before you burn to disc.

It comes in the Nero Ultra 6 suite, an entire suite of audio and video programs which you can use for free each and every month for the entire month til you decide to buy(which I highly recommend). You must reinstall it each month and then you are good to go for that month.

Good luck however you decide to go :>)

7. dastott

dastott Member

Cool. I read your guide on DVD Rip Forums and it seems interesting. Thanks...

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Why, Thank you, let us know how it turns out :>)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  9. dastott

dastott Member

Thanks for all the help. I did finally manage to burn the DVD. After a lot of trial and error, my final process was this: joined the .avi files with Easy Video Joiner. Opened TMPGEnc Plus and changed the audio settings and prioritised direct show to remove the annoying error messages. Then I simply re-encoded the 3 hour joined .avi. After that, I used TMPGEnc DVD Author and finally Nero v 6.3 to burn it.

Unfortunately, although it plays fine on my PC, it won't play cleanly on one of my DVD players. The other DVD player I have yet to try. Fingers crossed...