1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to quickly put v220 into silent mode?

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by jumpthru, Dec 25, 2004.

1. jumpthru

jumpthru Member

I just got a v220 and love it (considering my last phone was a Kyocera with a blue screen)...I just have a few questions however..

1) How can you quickly put the phone in silence (or vibrate) mode? My last phone you could just hold down 'right' and it would go into silent mode. For example you are in class and the teacher asks for everyone to turn there phones off...you dont want to have to go through 7 menus just to put it in silent mode...

2) I thought this phone supported multiple audio profiles...but when I go to the audio menu, there is just the one (which you can change to 'loud', 'soft', 'vibe', 'silent')...but I thought you could make multiple ones so you could quickly change from one ringer to another, or to silent or whatever...

3) I read you can change the external display backlight color...is that only on some models? Cause i cant find that setting on my v220.

Thanks for your help...espeically with number 1.

2. sa2001

sa2001 Member

1) just push either volume key on the side then push the smart key (the one on the side below the volume keys) 4 times if you were on loud before, or however many times it takes to cycle to silent from where it was. Takes about 2 seconds to switch it to silent from anywhere.

2) and 3) sorry...don't know yet..just got mine too.

3. jumpthru

jumpthru Member

Thanks, yeah I figured that first one out on my own...strange how thats not listed in the manual anywhere...I can't imagine how annoying it would be if I hadn't figured that out...its like they were writing the manual and they were like "okay, we are sick of writing this, there are a bunch more features, but we aren't gonna tell you about them"

As far as number 2, there is five profiles...loud, soft, vibe and ring, vibe, and silent. You can modify any of them then when you change it to a different one it remembers the settings for that one, so essentially there are multiple profiles.

As for number 3, I think they just took that feature out.

The phone book is quite unintuitive too, especially for putting in multiple numbers. It makes more since once you change it too "show primary numbers only" so that it doesn't show multiple entries for each number. I am not sure if you have to set a primary number or if the first one you enter is automatically the primary number. Regardless, you can change which one is primary if needed. I have read that motorola is far behind in the phone book area...you would think they would figure it out, its a primary feature.

I like the idea of storing numbers of the SIM so I can quickly move the address book if needed, but then you lose all the cool features. So for now I am storing them on the phone.

One more thing.

do you know if you get charged for going to 'my account'->'view minutes'? It requires you to connect to the internet, but since its on the internal network, i am not sure if you get charged? Do you know if you get charged?

One thing I noticed is you cant quickly lock the phone, but that doesn't matter...that was only important for candy bar style phones, cause the buttons would get hit in your pocket...doesn't matter with a flip phone.

Over all i LOVE this phone...its sweet...espeically now that i know how to quickly change to silent mode...

(although, WHY wouldn't they put such a useful feature in the manual...)

Nate
    www.offsuit.com - A different look at poker.

4. sa2001

sa2001 Member

Yeah , the manual is missing some important info on the features. What do "shuffle" and "auto repeat" do in pictures setup?

You can change the primary address by highlighting the name in the address book and using the left and right arrows, saves going thru the menus.

I don't know if they charge you or not for the "my account" stuff but you can use the text message method to get the same info on cingular. It doesn't use much data going in there and looking at minutes and stuff, usually just 5 or 10KB.

5. jumpthru

jumpthru Member

Oh, I thought going left and right let you look at the other ones listed, didn't realise it changed the primary one too.

When I go to my account and view minutes it says "see www.cingular.com/starservices" for details, which is the text message way...so I am assuming you dont get charged...plus, when you look at the network data, it only shows internal network data sent...but still, its not clear.

Another weird thing, is that we bought three of the v220 for a family plan (they were all free). On my moms and mine, we have the same flex version...on my sisters she has a different flex version. You can actually go see what flex version you have and see that two are the same, and my sisters is different. The difference is when you click my account, my sisters gos straight to the web and to a 'my account' webpage in which you can click links 'check minutes', 'reset voicemail' (no idea what that does)...

On mine and my moms you click my account, and it takes you to a sub menu where you can choose 'view minutes', 'pay bill' and when you click on one of those it takes you to the web (the same coresponding page of the links on my sisters).

We bought them all at the same time during the same phone call...they all arrived in the same box...why would hers be different? does it matter? and should I worry about it? maybe they had a bunch of them and then ran out, and my sisters was from the new batch? how do you know the latest flex version and if they release a new one can it be updated (without hacking it, like everyone is talking about, but actually updating per cingulars advice?)

PS. This is really good, getting help from other people that have v220's...I have searched all over the web for help with things such as quickly putting it in silent mode and other things not in the manual...and there is no help anywhere. You would think someone would have posted something about that...

Stupid motorola...I love the phone, but why would they write half the manual then say 'theres a bunch more features, which we are too lazy to finish writing about' I think the shuffle and auto repeat have something to do with putting your background as a slide show or something maybe?

*Can you take a picture with the cover closed?

Another thing thats not mentioned in the manual, but I figured out...

The blue backlight on the keys only will come on when it is dark enough, it has a light sensor...they should say that in the manual...I was in a semi-lit area, and it kept going on then off, then on, and I thought it was broken...

Thanks for all your help...by the way, I still think that quickly switching through the silent modes on the outside with it closes is an *awesome* feature (mandatory too)...should have put it in the manual.

Over all, GREAT PHONE

Nate
    www.offsuit.com - A different look at poker.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2004
  6. gtownky

gtownky Member

If you are with cingular dial*646# and hit the send button. it will send you a free message with your min left. later