1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to read firmware nos and do they flash backward too?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by perfectio, Mar 1, 2011.

1. perfectio

perfectio Member

01) Suppose i have a dvd drive with firmware RTXX. How do i know which firmware program is more recent. is it the aplabets that will change (and how?) or is it that the alphabets will remain the same and the number part will increment? I cannot understand this.

02) Suppose i find a firmware for my drive and it turns out to be an older firmware version will it flash or will it tell me that the installed version is newer than the version i am attempting to flash?

03) Are the firmware updates on www.firmwarehq arranged according to date of release or according to date of uploading and hosting?

04) Finally, is there any way to save/backup the original firmware that came installed with my drive?

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

it all depends on the make and model of the drive.. manufacturers make their own software progs to do the dump/flash .. there are a few things around which are more generic, but you really need to do more research into the subject and the drive you want to flash before you start messing.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...drive+firmware+flash+tools&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

look at all those links.. it is possible to dump the original firmware.. the xbox360 modding threads are a vast resource of information, as are all the rpc1 firmwares which are available.