1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW to read your XBOX's EEPROM and GET the HDD KEY WITHOUT removing the chip Or Modding the XBOX

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by Unicron1, Jun 24, 2006.

1. drumbum17

drumbum17 Guest

Every tut i have read for softmodding my xbox has told me to put my eeprom in to the eeprom folder but i have no clue to get the eeprom off my xbox and on my comp

can i do it without a eeprom reader?
    if so could u tell me how to get to

2. teroenza

teroenza Member

You could back it up using your dashboard if your box is already softmodded. There are other ways but i highly suggest doing the reader. It's not very hard ans will save your ass big time if your lose or delete your backup. Short of locking the HDD with an unknown pass or physically breaking it,this can usually save you.
    -ter

3. obcd007

obcd007 Member

Hi,

you could install a modchip, backup your eeprom, and remove the modchip afterwards. The soldering involved in installing one is more complicated than building and connecting a eeprom reader.

regards.

4. DaRkM

DaRkM Member

Do I need those different coloured wires? or could they be they same color?

5. 1272allan

1272allan Guest

use an old lenth of telephone wire as all the wires are thin and they are diffrent colour codes ok good luck
    ps incedentaly i used an old serial mouse wire i did

6. DaRkM

DaRkM Member

ok thx man

7. teroenza

teroenza Member

Just for clarification. Are the lpc holes the same for v1.1 and 1.6?
    Thank you
    -ter

8. DaRkM

DaRkM Member

what do i do with the 9-pin Female thing? i got it here but what do i do with the pegs tht come with it?

9. wwwyzzerd

wwwyzzerd Member

yes, they are the same

10. mazda6

mazda6 Guest

I made the reader awhile back. Got error -11, I just got around to trying to power up the eeprom without the powersupply. I used my computers 5v output for the harddrive/cdrom. Tried to read it about 10 times. Still get the same error -11 bus busy.

I've used my multimeter on the reader. Seems to be working right I think. I used the ohm settings on it. It reads 3800 ohms on from the pis on the serial plug to the end of the wires on the lpc pad. diodes are in the right directions, but I still can't figure it out. I bought the XBOX cheap off someone, the cd-rom hard hard drive were both shot. I don't think it was moded, so I'm assuming the eeprom is fine. Still can't figure it out though.
    Any advice?

Thanks

11. obcd007

obcd007 Member

Hi,

The reader with the 2 diodes and the 2 resistors doesn't work on every pc serial port. The voltage levels on the serial port pins fluctuate between 0.2 and 3V. Some serial ports can read these levels fine, others have problems with them. I have 2 pc's. One reads the xbox eeproms fine, the other refuses every cooperation. You might try another PC (if you have one around) or another serial port.

regards.

12. mazda6

mazda6 Guest

thanks, I'll give it a try.

13. MaverickD

MaverickD Member

@UNICORN i was upgragraded My HDD 160GB i use the old 8GB and softmodded i back up the eemprom but i only copy the C-drive back up and not the E drive i have the C drive save in my PC i nstall i FTP it to the new 160GB its there but when i tried configure magic it still shows the one that the 160 GB on my XBOX that is MOdded but it wont let me put the eemprom how can i manually do it and put it to the file with out configure magic the 8GB got mess up it wont even boot up so i can go back and re-copy it unless u know how 2 i try using the Evo Slayer 2 re install HD reatil it wont boot up and i tried using Auto install it wont install it seems nothing i can think of to fix it plz some one tell me how 2 fix this

I have 2 xbox
    One XBOX Thats modded
    One not modded and the 8GB wont boot up i accindeatlly erase it thinking it was the one of 160GB
    i also have a PC can some one tell me how fix the XBOX 8GB HDD
    and reinstall the retail HDD for XBOX

14. MaverickD

MaverickD Member

say unicorn what if u have the password for the eeprom can i make a new eemprom cause i accintaly fusk up mines i back it up then erase it but i kept the document and my soft mod mess up i put in the moddchip xbox and back it up so now the hdd has my xbox modded one in there now i lost the one that goes to the softmod and it wont boot back my xbox how can i fix this ? remeber i have the document of the old one with the key and password and all that shit

15. obcd007

obcd007 Member

Hi,

use the LiveInfo 3 program on pc. It can create a eeprom.bin file. With the programmer, you can reprogram the eeprom chip. Without the correct live code, you will not be able to use xbox live with it.

regards.

16. MAVERICKC

MAVERICKC Member

hey there, I'm new to all this, but I really need some one on one help with my xbox. Can you contact me at maverick_Ridez_4_chevy910@yahoo.com please. Sorry if I just broke any rules by showing my email.

If you could please contact me for some help, Thanks,

Jason

17. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Yes, you did break the rules, no emails.

Forums don't work like that i'm afraid. Forums are a community. Individual problems are discussed and then documented so that every other member has access to the solution.

Make good use of the search.

Chances are that your error will answered in my tutorials.

Click below!

18. dan72588

dan72588 Regular member

Could someone please tell me where to get an EEPROM reader?! I'm horrible and making stuff like that...i don't even understand how to make it! Resisitors and other cords and soldering.....i'm horrible...anyone know where i can get one and or someone could make me one so i can buy it!? thanks

19. teroenza

teroenza Member

You could try forums or maybe ebay?? Or ask a local electrician to make it. Really it's not that hard and if this is confusing, modding an xbox will blow your head.
    -ter

20. dan72588

dan72588 Regular member

lol, that's weird, modding an xbox is somewhat easy, because i just have to solder D0 point and the chip on pin header and lpc pins, and what happens if i mess up the resistor, get the wrong one, or solder horribly when building eeprom tool? And i don't really understand the drawing.....cuz i'm lame like that, I mean the xbox modchip i got, had some pics with dots where it needed to be soldered, but i've never dealt with a pc circuit board or w/e he's talking about. Put it this, I'm a complete noob at the stuff he's talking about, it blows my mind! If anyone knows where i can get one please tell me....I checked ebay....nothing

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007