1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW to read your XBOX's EEPROM and GET the HDD KEY WITHOUT removing the chip Or Modding the XBOX

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by Unicron1, Jun 24, 2006.

1. markbloke

markbloke Member

Many thanks for this tutorial, I've just saved two dead xboxes this way. For the record, this is such a simple circuit you don't need a circuit board, the wiring to the 9-pin female plug and the connection to the xbox are the toughest bits. The vital things to remember are:

You MUST get the right value Zener diodes. Get 5.1 Volt ones. These MUST be wired the right way round (the ring round the diode nearest the resistors).
    3900 ohm resistors (3.9K) are probably best and it doesn't matter which way round they go, just as long as they're in the right place in the circuit it's fine.

I found my xbox fragged when the cable was connected as suggested, but as someone else said it worked fine if I connected only the eeprom end, let it boot to an error message and only then plugged in the serial port end to the PC.

Here's the final version I built by soldering the components directly onto the 9-pin plug and adding some logic probe clips to allow direct connection to the eeprom. I did a decent job of it because I'm likely to use it again, but it's overkill if you're just saving one box.

[​IMG]

2. wobbs

wobbs Guest

just a note re diods in the eeprom reader I have succesfully used

RS BZX85 6.2V zener diods - works fine - grabbed and also re injected differing eeproms, just lazy as i dont want to keep building xboxhdm dvds

box will usually restart 3 times and the shut off, if you dont capture the bin in time, i have found a few times, once I have captured the eeprom the box stays on and i have to pull the cord out of the back to power off

nice pic on the post above i used a crock clip for the earth and clip to the roll cage.

worth mentioning I use the LPC points as its a easier to hold the probes ( nicked from an old multimeter ) in one hand and avoid slipping of the eeprom legs as you fumble for the xbox on switch and then try and click the mouse to start ponyprog capture.

hope this helps some one

3. Guppy1

Guppy1 Member

It is available on craigslist

***link removed***

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

If you built the reader correctly it will power on, then off, on, then off, then on again and stay on with a flashing orange light! This is when you read it!

5. tohsh

tohsh Member

If I have my HDD Key and Serial Number, is there a way for me to get my Online Key and my Confounder so I can create a new EEPROM.BIN without a modchip or a EEPROM Reader?

6. dan72588

dan72588 Regular member

7. luapidor

luapidor Member

Thanks for making the guide but I'm having some trouble with a 1.6 XBOX. I can't figure out where to exactly solder. I've made the reader and I've put jumper wires from the bios to the designated places as seen in the picture. But I'm not sure If I'm supposed to do this. Also I'm not sure where to hook up the reader to the whole circuit. Could someone post a picture of this done right with a 1.6 Xbox or could someone give any help at all?

8. deadlove

deadlove Guest

If you read the whole thread I believe it was covered.

9. Guppy1

Guppy1 Member

It is available on Craigslist

***link removed***

10. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

11. veemann

veemann Member

How about a link or keyword search? I find nothing currently.

Thanks,

V

12. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Simply type 'xbox eeprom' into the eBay search...

***link removed***

13. Guppy1

Guppy1 Member

Available on Craigslist $30 shipped

***link removed***

14. varnull

varnull Guest

$30 for something that you can build for around $5

what a bunch of scammers. :-(

I consider this linking to commercial products as spam, when the guide clearly shows exactly how to make one for next to nothing.

c'mon mods.. spamming commercial products is banned everywhere else on the site.. why is it allowed to run riot on this thread??

15. veemann

veemann Member

16. veemann

veemann Member

Thanks for policing but I requested the info. I don't think that would be considered spamming.

V

17. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I DO NOT spam commercial products.

I clearly show how to build the reader in my tutorials, including pics of the one I build!

I do however offer these on eBay for people who are unable to build one themselves.

Let's be honest Varnull, there ARE some people who just aren't as technical mind as myself or you. They don't know how to solder, read technical drawings, etc.

I provide the pre-built units solely for those who can't make the unit themselves. Obviously there are a lot of these folk...

@ The original poster of the Craigslist item

I have no issues with you selling similar items, however I take HUGE offense to you copying my eBay advertisement for your own gain. If you sell something, make it original, don't just hide behind the work of others! On another note, you better not be peddling a modified copy of my tutorials which accompany the readers too! They are my time and effort and every bit my property!!!

My units are built with quality parts and quality workmanship. Simply read my eBay feedback.

18. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

guppy & anyone else who tries to spam AD with craiglist links will be booted promptly.

Chunkhead, same goes fella...we can't help you make money via ebay.

links removed.

19. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Totally understood and agreed with!

;)

20. kevincad

kevincad Guest

i just built a eeprom reader and iam ready to solder it onto my xbox v1.6 motherboard.this is the only picture i can find to show how to read the eeprom. in this picture it shows multiple connections when i thought it was only supposed to be the sda to 5 scl to 6 and ground to ground?i just dont know what connection is the right one.any help would be great.

[​IMG]