1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW to read your XBOX's EEPROM and GET the HDD KEY WITHOUT removing the chip Or Modding the XBOX

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by Unicron1, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Kyther

Kyther Member

ok instead of trying my hand at soldering again i just got a breadboard im rathe sure i wired i all up right and even downloaded a different vesion of ponyprog, tried both with power and with battery, all i get is the device not ready thing i tried different timing and everything i can think of here is a photo of mine and the board i know it not a 1.6 and it was made in 03, i really hope someone can help me i really want to get this working

My Breadboard 30 gauge wire[​IMG]

my lpc and eeprom[​IMG]

2. Kyther

Kyther Member

does anyone out there have any ideas about this? Reference the above photos and my issue

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  3. Kyther

Kyther Member

*impatient and unnecessary post removed by moderator*

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  4. Kyther

Kyther Member

to the moderator
    i apoligize for that one that you have removed i was trying to edit and went to the wrong thing then didnt know how to remove the double

5. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

1.6 is the same, i read out 1.6 xbox's using the eeprom reader.

timing is crucial, this is mentioned many times before. just after the 3rd frag read out the eeprom. not before, 3rd frag is the time to press the button.

for those that solder the leads (of your reader) to the lpc or eeprom, nice job. works best

those that do not solder the leads, use the lpc header. just put the leads of your eeprom reader in the right holes (use casing for ground!!!), then power on. you can even use same tape to tape the leads down. you can also use the eeprom chip, but the lpc header is much more easier.

btw. putting in the 3.9K ohm resistor the 'wrong' way is not possible, doesn't matter how you put them in. the zenor diode is important to put in the right way!!!!!!!!

i apparantly used a 3.9 ohm!! (and 5.1 volt zenors) bought the wrong one a couple of years ago (didn't knew anything about this stuff then, just assumed the vendor gave me the correct value), only found it out 2 weeks ago. 3.9 ohm also worked for me, didn't kill any xbox / computer with the eeprom reader.

6. Kyther

Kyther Member

well i've givin up for now went out an bought a used xbox for 50$ still plan on fixng my old one if anyone can answer my issue with the reader thanks for all the help ill be watching this thread

7. Outwest42

Outwest42 Member

Hello all!
    I've been following this thread and have a question hopefully someone can answere, I have an Xbox with no hard drive and was planning on building the reader, BUT there is no Radio Shack in Canada anymore and they do not ship here from the US! does any one know where to get the parts needed, mainly the 5.1v Zener diode??

Any help will be appreciated!

8. Guppy1

Guppy1 Member

Got mine off ebay.

9. Outwest42

Outwest42 Member

I searched ebay, couldnt find one, whats it listed under?, aside from that, looks easy enough to do, and likely cheaper, I just cant find the parts

10. Guppy1

Guppy1 Member

11. Outwest42

Outwest42 Member

12. scum101

scum101 Guest

splendid.. any 5v1 zener will do... all that matters is the 5v1 bit.. and get the polarity right kids ;)

One thing I wanted to make clear to people.. must of the bulk components sold cheap on ebay are there for a reason.. they are usually out of spec or not close matched.. so try a few yeah? .. it should be obvious how to test a zener.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2009
  13. onehanded

onehanded Regular member

Have you not looked on ebay
    I got an eeprom reader from there for around £12.00

14. scum101

scum101 Guest

most people who have the skills to build one also have junk bits hanging about they can scavenge for parts.. The resistors aren't critical.. mine are old composition ones from some refrigeration unit thyristor panel.. and the board is a lump of old project breadboard I found in the back street.. Even the zeners aren't critical.. I think mine are 3v2's with 15k resistors in series and are even different physical sizes.. I just messed with a pair of wirewound 50k pots till I got about 5v on the data rails... they came from the thyristor board as well. They are only there to protect the eeprom from the 12v rail thrown out by the serial bus... the power requirements are supplied by external batteries.. or in my case by a separate feed from the 12v rail chopped to 3v by yet another odd zener.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2009