1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW to read your XBOX's EEPROM and GET the HDD KEY WITHOUT removing the chip Or Modding the XBOX

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by Unicron1, Jun 24, 2006.

1. obcd007

obcd007 Member

Hi,

it does make sense that the xbox starts fragging with the reader connected. The Eeprom uses the IIC protocol. This protocol uses 2 lines. The SCL (serial clock line) and SDA (serial data line). IIC is a bus. You can have several devices on the bus. To put data on the bus, devices pull the lines to gnd. If you connect the reader, it will initially pull the lines to gnd, so that no other device can put data on the bus. During startup, the PIC processor expects some information from the x86 core starting up. If it doesn't receive this information, it will shutdown and restart the power supply to force a reset that way. It will do that a couple off times and than give up. On a 1.0 and 1.1 xbox, it will give up with the power supply left on. (The blower is running) On a 1.6 xbox, it seems to turn off the power.

Your fragging xbox probably had a bad contact somewhere. When you opened it to connect the reader, the contact probably restored itself for a short period giving you the time to install the softmod. That is the smartest explanation I can think of for the moment.

I would like to improve the reader concept a bit. I noticed that the original hardware with the resistors and the zener diodes doesn't work on every pc.
    I also was wondering why people wanted to connect another supply for the eeprom in the case of a fragging xbox. I already have my answer for the 1.6 xbox version. I am also wondering why 5V zener diodes are used. In my xboxes, the eeprom supply voltage is 3V3, and according to the spec's, the voltage on SCL and SDA should not exceed the supply voltage with more than 0.6V. The important thing is that the concept works and that it is a solution for even fragging mobo's to get the Eeprom information which is vital to unlock it's harddisk.

regards.

2. daspazz

daspazz Member

Wow thanks for the insite. GOOD STUFF! Your deep into it for a newbie! ;-)

3. teroenza

teroenza Member

Thanks for this incredible idea! I will try it soon and report. Very smart people here!!!
    -ter

4. 1272allan

1272allan Guest

i managed to get my eeprom off so i thought i was home and dry
    i got a replacement hd off ebay (10 gig) seagate
    this is my new problem when i use a softmod image i get error 16 when i use ms dash x box it just continualy reboots can anyone shed some light on whats going on or point me to anouther forom with this problem ps awesome thread

5. Kronyk420

Kronyk420 Member

I had the same problem with my msdash a while ago, but my softmod still booted fine for some reason. Confirm that your msdash files are complete, as an error 16 is a clock read error caused by missing dash files. If everything is there, try deleting all your caches. That would be E:/cache and the X, Y and Z directories. If you can't see your X, Y and Z drives just try deleting E:/cache first, it worked for me.
    I don't fully understand all the technical reasons for why this works, but basically your freeing up memory the dashboard requires in order to boot. When you clone a hard drive, it copies the cache files as well. Those files seem to be 'printed' to a specific box, so the new box won't or can't delete them automatically and cannot use the space they are occupying. My box booted first try after doing this, I hope it helps your situation!

6. 1272allan

1272allan Guest

got it and after i deleted thease files it booted first time i am running the original ms dash as i have had quite an outing trying to repair this one incedentaly can i run a softmoded on this box as it is a 1.6 ?
    i did try before but all i got was error 16 so that was why i went back to the original ms dash
    thanks everyone
    allan

7. daspazz

daspazz Member

You should be able to softmod any xbox.

But you milage may vary!

8. ledjohnny

ledjohnny Member

9. ledjohnny

ledjohnny Member

Unicron 1:is there an altenitiv soulotion to soldering on to the xbox eeprom can a get an adapter or hook the wire to the eeprom without any thing holding the wire on.

10. Kronyk420

Kronyk420 Member

@ 1272allan

I have three modded 1.6 boxes, so it can be done, but doesn't work with all exploits. When looking for a softmod package, make sure it is a UXE exploit. These newer exploits don't require a reversion to an older kernel, which the 1.6 boxes are not capable of, so they should work fine. I hear everyone recommending Krayzie's Ndure exploit, but I've had success with SID Installer 3.1.

11. teroenza

teroenza Member

Just a few questions before I do anything permanent. I have a version 1.6 box that powers fine and thus will need no external power supply. I should be able to use the 2 (13,14) LPC holes shown in the picture minus the red(pwr)? Then ground the green to the metal on the chassis or screw?

I am confused because this would save me trying to solder tiny eeprom contacts. The other thing is because I don't understand the picture directly above the bold text 'Version 1.6 XBOX". It looks like you have to "jumper" between the eeprom, LPC holes, and some other tiny holes. Thank you for your help
    -ter

12. Kronyk420

Kronyk420 Member

Solder or clip the SLC and SDA lines to the LPC holes, ground the reader to the Xbox, and everything should work fine as long as the Xbox power supply is working. DO NOT CONNECT THE 5v POWER WIRE IF USING XBOX POWER SUPPLY. I'm not an engineer, but I'm pretty sure that would fry your chip. (If it doesn't fry it, it sure can't be good)

The LPC holes are definitely an easier choice for the soldering, just make sure everything has solid contact and no shorts before you power on........

13. 1272allan

1272allan Guest

i just poked the wire in and stuck a neadle in to hold
    the wire one of my wire was evan lose and it did not matter
    i have a 1.6 box
    good luck
    when my system was fragging i had the 2 wires mixed up (but i did not get the earth wrong though )
    i did not fry my system and mine is up and running now i am planing a softmod though
    best of luck

14. ledjohnny

ledjohnny Member

The lpc header is confusing where are the numbers for xbox v1.6.I know that i need to connect to pins 13 14 but i dont want to fry my xbox to its death.so can someone explain it a little more.

15. 1272allan

1272allan Guest

if you look at the x box mainbboard it has the pin numbers next to the corrisponding lpc hole

16. ledjohnny

ledjohnny Member

Hello everybody my xbox frags when ever i connect the reader and i am not able to read the eeprom using the lpc header.is this normal on a v1.6 xbox.i have read that some people have the same problem but they are able to read theres.

17. 1272allan

1272allan Guest

try switching the two wires around (i had mine the wrong way )
    soon as i switched then i got a read first time (i have a 1.6 box two)

18. ledjohnny

ledjohnny Member

I will try.Cross your fingers.

19. ledjohnny

ledjohnny Member

Are there any settings in particular that i need to know for pony program.

20. 1272allan

1272allan Guest

not realy just calabrate it
    then on the comand tab just read all
    go for it
    ps im in the uk in wales