1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to reboot my pc ?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by tmontana1, Dec 6, 2005.

1. tmontana1

tmontana1 Member

well hello everyone, ok i ran system mechanic and when i cleaned my pc with it , it deleted some of my system files and now sometimes when i try to install new hardware im getting error messages so i want to reboot my pc as i have never done this since i got it.

so can someone tell me exactly how to do this? do i just backup everything then insert my windows xp disk that came with my pc? will this delete everything? and get rid of any bugs and reinstall any system files that i need.

so i know i need to backup:

1 music
    2 videos
    3 photos
    4 favourite links

then reboot and log onto windows website and get all updates and updates for all my applications also

is there anything else i need to backup as i have never done this before or am i missing anything

thanks in advance

alan

2. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

the best thing for you is to backup your entire My Documents folder...

to do this, open Nero or your burning application,
    select a data DVD if possible, if not you will need to figure out how to use cds, maybe if you use zip files of certain folders would help...
    well in the add files dialog, navigate to:

[bold]C:\Documents and Settings\*******\[/bold]
    (replace: ******* with your user name)
    and add your My Documents folder to your data DVD...

even easier, if possible use an external hard drive and backup your My Documents folder to that...

[bold]the essence of doing a system restore is to backup all of your data that you can not do without or would like to keep or is irreplaceable[/bold]

so this is basicaly it, remember to bakcup any irreplaceable data..

3. tmontana1

tmontana1 Member

ok thanks for the reply, ill back up my entire "my documents" folder. i need to back up my favourite links too, is there anything else i am missing?

4. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

just backup everything that you either NEED or WANT to save from your pc and thats it...

5. halfhere

halfhere Regular member

you could also try system restore to the point where you didn't run the software, or just simply run the repair option on the windows cd that will install the missing files.

6. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

yes but that only works under certain circumstances as i have found out from experience