1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to recognise a file...

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Junifabe, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Junifabe

Junifabe Member

I have been struggling to get files into TMPEnc. Some AVI files are ok, other it simply doesn't accept. Error message: cannot open file.

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya Junifabe,

the .AVI extension is an odd one...

AVI is just a container type (meaning Ausio Video Interleave) and its TRUE contents could be just about anything:
    Microsoft AVI codec
    Canopus codec
    DivX codec (multiple versions of)
    XviD codec (multiple versions of)
    etc. etc.

If Windows Media Player will play it ok, then you have the correct codec installed SOMEWHERE on your system.

TMPGEnc will handle MOST filetypes that Media Player can play (but not all).

I suggest you use a utility called GSpot to check what kind of file it really is, and the codecs needed to use it.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/gspot.cfm

Have Fun...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is just more of the same:[/small]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  3. Minion

Minion Senior member

To get rid of this error message all you need to do 90% of the Time is just go to "Options" to "Enviromental Settings" to "VFAPI Plugins" and Raise the Priority of the "Direct Show Multi-Media File Reader" to "2"....This should get your files loaded as long as you have the Codec installed which you would need to have just to watch the file in Media Player.....

4. Junifabe

Junifabe Member

Thanks guys, I managed to use TMPGEnc perfectly now.

I have now encountered an entirely different problem to do with TMPGEnc DVD Author. It works swimmingly all the way up to encoding and processing the files but when I look into the ts_video folder there is nothing there! Even though it has gone through the processing stage without a single problem?!

Any suggestions?

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Tmpgenc DVD author doesn"t do any encodeing unless you have the new AC3 Plugin in which case it can encode the audio to AC3 but it does Proscess the files to Vob files in the Video_TS Folder...I have no idea why it is not working ,I personally do not use Tmpgenc DVD author much Cuz it is to Basic and is lacking in Features..You can allways try a different program to author the DVD ,Maybe try "DVD-Lab" it is a More High end program but Costs about the same you can download a 30 day fully woring demo at :
    "http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/"