1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to remove MPEG2 codec !!

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by z0diac, Nov 10, 2009.

1. z0diac

z0diac Regular member

I don't remember EVER installing it, but some "Elecard Video decoder" seems to have been installed on my system, and now that the 'trial' is over, it keeps displaying a scrolling message along the bottom of my screen saying "Evaluation period has expired. Please buy the Elecard MPEG2 video decoder at ...."

I have installed the Klite package, I've installed the FFDshow package, hoping it would overwrite this annoying "elecard" decoder - but it can't get rid of it!

I searched my registry but the string 'elecard' is nowhere. Doing a full directory search on my boot drive for *elecard* returns nothing. This program should be classified by virus scanners as malicious!!!

Does ANYONE know how to remove the elecard mpeg2 decoder?? I will even Paypal someone 10 BUCKS for a method that works!! (short of reinstalling my o/s of course!)

All I want is to remove it or overwrite it, or anything that just rids me of it!

2. z0diac

z0diac Regular member

FIXED IT.

PHEW... and ironically, the instructions were actually on their site! (not FOUND through their site however. Only after a re-arranged Google search did I get to that page on their site).

In case anyone else here has the same problem with this NASTY codec, go here:

http://www.elecard.com/support/kb/answer.php?faq_id=20

First you have to find where that .ax file is. Apparently I installed a program called WMCap to capture live streams, and it decided to have the Elecard codec included with it (blehh.) So I had to find where that .ax file was on my drive (inside the wmcap directory), change the command line given on that page I've linked above, and it looks like it's been uninstalled, and MPEGs are now playing without that annoying scroller along the bottom.

It would be nice if someone could write some sort of LOCK CODECS program so that they're never modified by other programs when they're installed :D :D