1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to: repair dvd burner... ?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by copey02, Sep 14, 2004.

1. copey02

copey02 Member

a couple months ago, i tripped into my computer with my dvd burner tray open and knocked the tray off course and it wouldnt go in and out anymore... after a few frustrated calls to dell, i decided to take it out and try to repair it myself... i fixed the tray, and it works fine now... but my computer wont ever recognize that a disc is in the drive... so i dont know if i messed it up, i dont think i did, or if something is still not right... i took it back apart and it seems like everything is in the right place... but i ahve nothing to base it on..
    i was curious if there were any guides or step by step things on how to put it back together , or even pictures of just an opened dvd burner so that i can compare and fix it from that...

any help, input would be greatly appreciated.. thanks

by the way, my dvd+RW is philipsdvd+RW d28

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Does Windows recognize the optical drive?

3. copey02

copey02 Member

windows recognizes the drive. but does not recognize any discs IN the drive.

4. colw

colw Active member

Save yourself time, effort and frustration - very few products are repairable nowadays - just replacable.
    DVD burners are generally too sensitive to be repaired - buy yourself a new one - they are quite cheap nowadays.